Is a Canopus ADVC 300 useful with a DVD recorder

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 29, 2004 5:44:12 AM

I've got a chance to get a used ADVC 300 and I'm wondering if it would be
worth it with yet to be purchased DVD Recorder. I'm preparing to do VHS &
Video 8 conversions to DVD, both through a DVD recorder (limited editing)
and some by PC (better editing). Thanks!
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 7:37:25 AM

> I've got a chance to get a used ADVC 300 and I'm wondering if it would be
> worth it with yet to be purchased DVD Recorder. I'm preparing to do VHS &
> Video 8 conversions to DVD, both through a DVD recorder (limited editing)
> and some by PC (better editing). Thanks!

The ADVC 300 is not particularly useful with a DVD recorder, but it's
excellent if you want to do the best quality VHS/Video8 conversions to DVD.
A DVD recorder is easy and hassle-free, but quality and size won't be as
good as if you do things the "hard way". Using the ADVC 300, you will be
able to capture your video to a format that is much more suited for editing
and processing, and you will be able to use various noise reductions
filters, color correction, and all sorts of things. Editing will be much
easier. This way you will have much more control over the quality and size
of your final DVD. If you just need some rough cut editing, the DVD recorder
should do just fine.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 7:37:26 AM

"Chris M" wrote ...
>> I've got a chance to get a used ADVC 300 and I'm wondering
>> if it would be worth it with yet to be purchased DVD Recorder.
>> I'm preparing to do VHS & Video 8 conversions to DVD, both
>> through a DVD recorder (limited editing) and some by PC
>> (better editing). Thanks!
>
> The ADVC 300 is not particularly useful with a DVD recorder,
> but it's excellent if you want to do the best quality VHS/Video8
> conversions to DVD.

Perhaps you could explain that statement. If the original (VHS/8mm)
video can be cleaned up by the TBC functionality of the ADVC-300,
the benefits would apply equally whether the OP was recording to
his DVD recorder, or capturing to his computer.

This assumes that he is connecting the ADVC-300 to the DVD recorder
via Firewire, of course.
December 29, 2004 9:39:38 AM

> Perhaps you could explain that statement. If the original (VHS/8mm)
> video can be cleaned up by the TBC functionality of the ADVC-300,
> the benefits would apply equally whether the OP was recording to
> his DVD recorder, or capturing to his computer.
>
> This assumes that he is connecting the ADVC-300 to the DVD recorder
> via Firewire, of course.

Sure, I was just making a general statement about the options when doing all
the processing and editing on your PC. Even if you use the ADVC-300's TBC
with the DVD recorder, you are still stuck with poor editing options and
so-so encoding quality, though.
December 29, 2004 11:30:56 AM

Thanks Chris & Richard. Much appreciated!
!