AMD Ultrathins to Knockout Intel Ultrabooks on Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
After having both mobile amd llano and mobile intel IB, ill take amd anyday in a system that wont have discrete graphics to make up for the god awful performance of intel in that area.

G

AMD also claims that the 17w ULV Trinity chips for the ultra thins will be about as powerful as 35W LLano mobile chips today. That performance level at $200 less then an Ivy Bridge laptop does not seem like a great deal to me unless IVB simply can't play games, but it can, although not as well.

Also if you are looking for a gaming machine then a $500 35w Trinity machine makes a hell of a lot more sense then a $600-800 17w Trinity ultrathin anyway. Or a $800 IVB setup with a dedicated gpu.

As long as its significantly cheaper I think AMD will sell a decent amount of ultra thins to the Best Buy type shopper who favors price>form>brand>performance. Yet I dont think they would be a good choice from a performance>form>price>brand perspective.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
At Intel's Ultrabook price point I expect discrete graphics. Intel's graphics performance is abysmal, and I do not see that changing with Ivy Bridge given how they fudged that CES demo. I have been very surprised by AMD's APU products. They could actually put this off. Their price point, graphics performance, and spec flexibility is much more appealing.

AMD drove themselves into the ditch with Bulldozer. I hope they give Intel a run for their money with Trinity.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Intel's Plan B:

Publicity smear, hyping on the importance of processing power and bashing Trinity's weaker CPU power, while completely ignoring graphics performance.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Borisblade7[/nom]After having both mobile amd llano and mobile intel IB, ill take amd anyday in a system that wont have discrete graphics to make up for the god awful performance of intel in that area.[/citation]
Really? You've had Intel's mobile IB? How'd you manage that?

magnetshowtheywork

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
[citation][nom]someguynamedmatt[/nom]Now THIS I have faith in. Not that 'ultrabooks' hold that much market share, but I feel that AMD could pull this off quite nicely with their APU lineup and beat out Intel.[/citation]

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Digtimes is reporting that 2012 will bring just 20 AMD-powered Ultrathins, and that these will not have any significant advantages over Intel

Then Digtimes is wrong. You see, some of us would like Ultrabooks that actually perform (not just 1000-dollar "look cool" machines like the MacBook Air) a useful purpose.

With an SSD in there the difference in processing speed is small. But if we have half-decent graphical capabilities I might consider one.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
How much of the supposed price drop will be lower hardware costs versus corner cutting (i.e. plastic enclosures, lower quality monitors, tempered glass instead of Gorilla, and mechanical hard drives)?

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
[citation][nom]stardude82[/nom]How much of the supposed price drop will be lower hardware costs versus corner cutting (i.e. plastic enclosures, lower quality monitors, tempered glass instead of Gorilla, and mechanical hard drives)?[/citation]

How can anyone possibly answer this, since no devices have been unveiled just yet?

If you're not aware how hard these APUs trounce Intel's offerings across the board for gaming, video performance, and general usage, please go through this site page by page until you're up to speed.

It wouldn't be surprising to see some excellent $300 offerings from Trinity, and some nicer $500 ones as well. At $750 or so, the Intelbooks wouldn't have a prayer, and at the same price ($1000-ish) there would be simply no reason to choose an Intelbook at all.

For light-duty browsing and entertainment, AMD chips are perfect, and the pricing and competition alone will help force down Intel pricing for fanatics like you (Stardude82) who aren't any good at math yet, but still might possibly know what "lower pricing" would mean across the board.

ultrabooks vs ultrathins... this should be a good competition.
hopefully, intel's decision to not lower cpu prices for ultrabooks (thus raising their overall cost) comes back to bite their proverbial behind.
no one's gonna bother with $1000 glorified netbook if a $500 one outperforms it (overall performance and battery life).
the name 'ultrathin' seems like some kind of protective device that breaks easily...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS