Convert .rm to mpeg2 files.

Hello,

I have a bunch of Real Media files (.rm) and want to convert them to
mpeg2 - the goal being burning them to a DVD and playing them on TV.

Would anyone be able to suggest a good program that would do this in
one step? I have 14 files to convert and burn.

EO Video converts .rm to mpeg1, not mpeg2. This is what I used
before.

Suggestions and comments welcome!

Thanks!

Tmuld.

"Tavish Muldoon" <tmuldoon@spliced.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a bunch of Real Media files (.rm) and want to convert them to
> mpeg2 - the goal being burning them to a DVD and playing them on TV.
>
> Would anyone be able to suggest a good program that would do this in
> one step? I have 14 files to convert and burn.
>
> EO Video converts .rm to mpeg1, not mpeg2. This is what I used
> before.
>
> Suggestions and comments welcome!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tmuld.

What is the image size of your Real Media video? Most I have seen
are 1/4 D1 or smaller and encoded at relatively low bitrates. The smallest
DVD compliant MPEG is MPEG1 NTSC 352x240 / PAL 352x288,
the video bitrate Max. 1.8Mbps.

Luck;
Ken

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Tavish Muldoon" <tmuldoon@spliced.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a bunch of Real Media files (.rm) and want to convert them to
>> mpeg2 - the goal being burning them to a DVD and playing them on TV.
>>
>> Would anyone be able to suggest a good program that would do this in
>> one step? I have 14 files to convert and burn.
>>
>> EO Video converts .rm to mpeg1, not mpeg2. This is what I used
>> before.
>>
>> Suggestions and comments welcome!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Tmuld.
>
> What is the image size of your Real Media video? Most I have seen
> are 1/4 D1 or smaller and encoded at relatively low bitrates. The
> smallest
> DVD compliant MPEG is MPEG1 NTSC 352x240 / PAL 352x288,
> the video bitrate Max. 1.8Mbps.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

Googleing around I found this list for rm to DVD

"DVD Santa" (a much liked program)
"WinAVI Video Converter"
"X Video Converter"
"WinMPG Video Convert"

All are shareware priced at $30.

Luck;
Ken

I'm new to this but after searching around the last couple of days I
downloaded and tried WinAVI Video Converter. It seems to work well but you
have to pay to erase the nag ware text that it embeds on your converted
videos.

> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tavish Muldoon" <tmuldoon@spliced.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a bunch of Real Media files (.rm) and want to convert them to
>>> mpeg2 - the goal being burning them to a DVD and playing them on TV.
>>>
>>> Would anyone be able to suggest a good program that would do this in
>>> one step? I have 14 files to convert and burn.
>>>
>>> EO Video converts .rm to mpeg1, not mpeg2. This is what I used
>>> before.
>>>
>>> Suggestions and comments welcome!
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Tmuld.
>>
>> What is the image size of your Real Media video? Most I have seen
>> are 1/4 D1 or smaller and encoded at relatively low bitrates. The
>> smallest
>> DVD compliant MPEG is MPEG1 NTSC 352x240 / PAL 352x288,
>> the video bitrate Max. 1.8Mbps.
>>
>> Luck;
>> Ken
>>

> Googleing around I found this list for rm to DVD
>
> "DVD Santa" (a much liked program)
> "WinAVI Video Converter"
> "X Video Converter"
> "WinMPG Video Convert"
>
> All are shareware priced at $30.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

martin

"Tavish Muldoon" <tmuldoon@spliced.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a bunch of Real Media files (.rm) and want to convert them to
> mpeg2 - the goal being burning them to a DVD and playing them on TV.
>
> Would anyone be able to suggest a good program that would do this in
> one step? I have 14 files to convert and burn.
>
> EO Video converts .rm to mpeg1, not mpeg2. This is what I used
> before.
>
> Suggestions and comments welcome!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tmuld.

How much free hard drive space have you got?

I recently used EO Video to convert a load of Real Media videos to
uncompressed AVI and then used TMPGEnc to encode the AVIs to DVD MPEG2.
I saved video only AVIs and uncompressed (PCM) WAV audio - separate files
for each stream.

The Real Media files were all about 20 minutes in length so i worked my way
through them making the most of my free hard drive space.

I could have used the HUFFYUV codec (maybe?) instead of using uncompressed
RGB for the AVIs but i didn't!

Martin.

:)