PPTP connections fail after XP SP2

I have several PPTP connections that prior to XP SP2 were working just fine.
Now, all I get is a generic "Error 800: Unable to establish the VPN
connection. The VPN server may be unreachable, or security parameters may
not be configured properly for this connection." If I go to an non-SP2 XP
machine or a Windows 2000 machine on my network, I can connect just fine
using all the same settings. Anyone else have an experience like this, and
if so, have you been able to resolve it?

--
James J. Minard, MCP
Network Technician

Configure the firewall to let the traffic through or if you are behind
another firewall, disable the XPSP2 firewall.

"James Minard" <jjm3@precisioncs.net> wrote in message
> I have several PPTP connections that prior to XP SP2 were working just
fine.
> Now, all I get is a generic "Error 800: Unable to establish the VPN
> connection. The VPN server may be unreachable, or security parameters may
> not be configured properly for this connection." If I go to an non-SP2 XP
> machine or a Windows 2000 machine on my network, I can connect just fine
> using all the same settings. Anyone else have an experience like this, and
> if so, have you been able to resolve it?
>
> --
> James J. Minard, MCP
> Network Technician
> Precision Computer Solutions, Inc.

Sorry, I should have stated that I have already tried disabling the XP
firewall, and that did not change anything...

"cjobes" <cjobes@nova-tech.org> wrote in message
> Configure the firewall to let the traffic through or if you are behind
> another firewall, disable the XPSP2 firewall.
>

> "James Minard" <jjm3@precisioncs.net> wrote in message
>> I have several PPTP connections that prior to XP SP2 were working just
> fine.
>> Now, all I get is a generic "Error 800: Unable to establish the VPN
>> connection. The VPN server may be unreachable, or security parameters may
>> not be configured properly for this connection." If I go to an non-SP2 XP
>> machine or a Windows 2000 machine on my network, I can connect just fine
>> using all the same settings. Anyone else have an experience like this,
>> and
>> if so, have you been able to resolve it?
>>
>> --
>> James J. Minard, MCP
>> Network Technician
>> Precision Computer Solutions, Inc.

I'm having the same issue. No solution as yet I'm afraid, you?!

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Me too. I can not find anything on this anywhere. I do find alot of people
with the same issue though, but no fix.

ben

"Dom Hicklin" wrote:

> I'm having the same issue. No solution as yet I'm afraid, you?!

Pablo

My gut reaction is turn off the built in XP firewall. Firewall is ON after
doing svc pack 2. This has caused us a ton of problems.
Paul

In article <10rcjc27oefb473@corp.supernews.com>,
jnaut_nospam@earthlink.net says...
> My gut reaction is turn off the built in XP firewall. Firewall is ON after
> doing svc pack 2. This has caused us a ton of problems.
> Paul

Since I have my workstation behind a firewall appliance (a router would
suffice) I do not utilize the SP2 Firewall at all. I have the service
set to disabled. I have 83 PPTP Connections Setup in my network and have
no problem connecting to any of them.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)