Which DVD burner do u recommend?

I've got a Dell Dimension 2400, 512, Windows XP Pro, with CD burner
(SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-248F) and regular (LiteOn) CD. I want to replace
the plain CD with a DVD burner.

I was looking at either of these Sony DRU710A or Plextor PX-712A/SW-BL
on the Dell site. They are both around $107.

Should I get one of these, or get the newer Plextor PX-716A? Any
thoughts/comments on the new dual layer technology?
Any experiences are welcome. Thanks in advance.

-Laura
7 answers Last reply
More about which burner recommend

    Neil,

    Can I use the single-layer media in the dual layer drives? Will the
    burns work on most DVD players?

    Thanks again,
    Laura

    On 29 Dec 2004 23:12:37 -0800, "LT" <fabfan@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I've got a Dell Dimension 2400, 512, Windows XP Pro, with CD burner
    >(SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-248F) and regular (LiteOn) CD. I want to replace
    >the plain CD with a DVD burner.
    >
    >I was looking at either of these Sony DRU710A or Plextor PX-712A/SW-BL
    >on the Dell site. They are both around $107.
    >
    >Should I get one of these, or get the newer Plextor PX-716A? Any
    >thoughts/comments on the new dual layer technology?
    >Any experiences are welcome. Thanks in advance.

    Believe it or not, the preferred DVD burners (According to the
    denizens of CDFreaks.com) are the NEC and the BenQ models. You can
    get a BenQ 16x dual-layer DVD burner for only around $60 now, and it
    produces exceptional burns. I should warn you that dual layer media
    is still very expensive (e.g. - $10/disc), so you may not use it much
    at first. On the other hand, decent single-layer media is now very
    inexpensive, so you may not need to use dual layer stuff for a while.

    Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
    I have no fears in life,
    for I have already survived Theta-G!

    On 30 Dec 2004 10:44:20 -0800, "LT" <fabfan@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Neil,
    >
    >Can I use the single-layer media in the dual layer drives?

    Yes. Most dual-layer drives are able to take every type of
    burnable media except DVD-RAM.

    >Will the burns work on most DVD players?

    I have found the burns from my BenQ DW1620 to be VERY
    compatible. It does its best burns with +R media, and it
    automatically sets the booktype of the media to read as "DVD-ROM," so
    the discs are compatible with every player I've tested them on.

    As I said, the debate as to who makes the best 16x DVD burner
    seems to have settled down between the supporters of the NEC 3200 and
    the BenQ DW1620. The ones to stay away from at the moment are the
    ones by BTC and LiteOn (Which is sad, since I really like my 4x LiteOn
    DVD burner). If you want more info than you know what to do with, go
    to www.cdfreaks.com and read the reviews. The BenQ drive and the NEC
    drive can be easily found for purchase online for around $60. Check
    out www.newegg.com.

    Once you have the drive, get ready to enter the exciting and
    needlessly confusing world of DVD video authoring.

    Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
    I have no fears in life,
    for I have already survived Theta-G!

    I really like my external Memorex, no problems yet, have burned
    about500 DVD's and the thing is built like a TANK (and it's
    USB2/Firewire thank you)

    STRATEGY

    Top pick? Pioneer A08 series. Most reliable burns across a variety of
    discs with low PI/PO error rates, general goodness all around, and
    latest firmware at www.rpc1.org does the job well. See RPC1.org ->
    forums for the latest talk on this burner.

    After that, Plextor 712. ignore 716 for now - they haven't fixed all of
    the problems the guys in these forums are blabbing about.

    These two burners, in general, provide a very high quality burn on most
    media, generally run well, and don't cause much trouble.

    www.cdfreaks.com -> reviews to view the PI/PO error rate charts for most
    DVD burners out there. www.rpc1.org and www.cdfreaks.com forums for
    talk on the best burners.

    ---

    It's not to say every burner is bad besides these two, but you'll have a
    more limited range of media that will burn with low PI/PO error rates
    and you'll likely encounter problems more often.

    eg. LiteOn 1633S is a good burner, but you have to feed it good media,
    otherwise you'll get sky high PI/PO error rates.

    ---

    All of the above either come with or can, with 3rd party software, do
    PI/PO error rate scans of burned discs to verify integrity.

    Plextor comes with it.
    LiteOn can use free Kprobe.
    Pionners can use DVDInfoPro http://www.dvdinfopro.com/ (free or pay)

    ---

    With any, download the latest firmware from www.rpc1.org to make sure it
    has the latest updates for quality burns.

    ---

    Most of the time, "Made In Japan" on the label Maxell DVD-R discs will
    burn very reliably across a range of burners. Sold as the Apple DVD-R
    discs as well as their own brand.

    besides www.cdrinfo.com,
    http://homepage2.nifty.com/yss/
    has truck loads of PI/PO error rate scans from a variety of burners.

    Good to pick out the burners that work the best in this everchanging field.

    ---

    Also, you can find good burners (OEM rebrands) at most office stores
    like Staples, Office Max or Depot on sale every week. If you buy a good
    burner (ask in the www.fatwallet.com/forums/ -> hot deals and/or search
    first) that's rebranded, you can easily get a great deal cheap.

    It is a shame that I do not see Memorex listed as a very reliable
    company. Never, ever had a problem with a drive from them as far as
    reliable, burn to most media, and not a problem with programs such as
    DVD shrink.

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:06:57 -0800, David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu>
    wrote:

    >Top pick? Pioneer A08 series. Most reliable burns across a variety of
    >discs with low PI/PO error rates, general goodness all around, and
    >latest firmware at www.rpc1.org does the job well. See RPC1.org ->
    >forums for the latest talk on this burner.
    >
    >After that, Plextor 712. ignore 716 for now - they haven't fixed all of
    >the problems the guys in these forums are blabbing about.
    >
    >These two burners, in general, provide a very high quality burn on most
    >media, generally run well, and don't cause much trouble.
    >
    >www.cdfreaks.com -> reviews to view the PI/PO error rate charts for most
    >DVD burners out there. www.rpc1.org and www.cdfreaks.com forums for
    >talk on the best burners.
    >
    >---
    >
    >It's not to say every burner is bad besides these two, but you'll have a
    >more limited range of media that will burn with low PI/PO error rates
    >and you'll likely encounter problems more often.
    >
    >eg. LiteOn 1633S is a good burner, but you have to feed it good media,
    >otherwise you'll get sky high PI/PO error rates.
    >
    >---
    >
    >All of the above either come with or can, with 3rd party software, do
    >PI/PO error rate scans of burned discs to verify integrity.
    >
    >Plextor comes with it.
    >LiteOn can use free Kprobe.
    >Pionners can use DVDInfoPro http://www.dvdinfopro.com/ (free or pay)
    >
    >---
    >
    >With any, download the latest firmware from www.rpc1.org to make sure it
    >has the latest updates for quality burns.
    >
    >---
    >
    >Most of the time, "Made In Japan" on the label Maxell DVD-R discs will
    >burn very reliably across a range of burners. Sold as the Apple DVD-R
    >discs as well as their own brand.

Tuner Cards DVD Burner CD-Rom Dell Graphics