Remotely access exchange 2000 email account using outlook ..

Our ms exchange 2000 server (small business server 2000) here runs on a
Windows 2000 DNS server . My boss has a laptop which has Win XP Pro and uses
outlook 2003 which was configured fairley easily to send/receive emails
across our LAN using his account on the exchange server. This, he has no
problem with.

Now, he has another laptop at home that has Win XP Home and outlook 2003. He
wants to be able to access his emails from our exchange server while at home.
I have created a dial-up account, and then a vpn connection which connected
well, but it took ages for mails to download when i click send/receive. After
I few minutes when i close and open outlook i cannot access his mailbox
again. I get this msg when i click on his mailbox: " The specified default
store could not be opened. Make sure you access your default store and try
again."
1. How do i rectify that problem? Is it because his home laptop is Win XP
home edition which does not have domain capabilities?
2. After that is resloved, how can i configure it so that it does not take
ages to synchronize or download his emails from the exchange server?

Pls, I need help as soon as possible. Been taking so long to rectify this
issue.

Cheers....Clive
2 answers Last reply
More about remotely access exchange 2000 email account outlook

    Have him access the Exchange server via OWA or set him up with a POP3 (make
    sure to check "leave copy on the server" otherwise it will pull all mail
    from the mailbox).
    Dial-up is really too slow for that.

    Clive Oates wrote:
    > Our ms exchange 2000 server (small business server 2000) here runs on
    > a Windows 2000 DNS server . My boss has a laptop which has Win XP Pro
    > and uses outlook 2003 which was configured fairley easily to
    > send/receive emails across our LAN using his account on the exchange
    > server. This, he has no problem with.
    >
    > Now, he has another laptop at home that has Win XP Home and outlook
    > 2003. He wants to be able to access his emails from our exchange
    > server while at home. I have created a dial-up account, and then a
    > vpn connection which connected well, but it took ages for mails to
    > download when i click send/receive. After I few minutes when i close
    > and open outlook i cannot access his mailbox again. I get this msg
    > when i click on his mailbox: " The specified default store could not
    > be opened. Make sure you access your default store and try again."
    > 1. How do i rectify that problem? Is it because his home laptop is
    > Win XP home edition which does not have domain capabilities?

    No, shouldn't matter - but you would need to set up Outlook (Exchange server
    service, advanced properties) to prompt him for credentials (set logon
    network security=none). You should set him up with offline access (cached
    mode) and also tell OL to prompt to connect/work offline, and he should work
    offline by default with scheduled syncs in the background. This will work a
    LOT better if he's on dialup.

    > 2. After that is resloved, how can i configure it so that it does not
    > take ages to synchronize or download his emails from the exchange
    > server?

    For the first sync, you should have him bring his laptop to the office and
    do this over the LAN, because it will be incredibly painful to try to sync
    the full mailbox over a dialup VPN connection.

    > Pls, I need help as soon as possible. Been taking so long to rectify
    > this issue.

    He does know about OWA, right? Do you have it open from the Internet?
    I'd avoid POP. IMAP if you absolutely must (if you don't want to do what I
    suggested above), but POP isn't ideal.

    > Cheers....Clive

Exchange Windows XP