Briefcase trouble

October 9, 2004 2:44:21 PM

I am having trouble with Briefcase in Win XP. I synchronize
my desktop with the briefcase on my laptop over a wireless
LAN connection through Remote Desktop Connection. Both
laptop and desktop are new and originally installed with
Win XP Pro.

1. I cannot acces multiple files from the briefcase at a
time. For example if My computer is browsing the briefcase
and I want to open a briefcase file in Photoshop I receive
the message : "Briefcase is in use on another computer.
Close the Briefcase on that computer and then try again"
although it is only in use by another utility on my own
computer and the remote connection is closed. I cannot use
more than one file at a time with different applications
which is very annoying.

2. The BIG problem: After I sinchronize with the desktop
and I end the Remote Desktop connection, I get the message
:"Briefcase not accessible" and then "Briefcase database
will not be saved. Remove some files or move briefcase to
another disk and try again." just like if there were not
enough space to save the newly synchronized files. There
are 35 GB available on the laptop hard-drive , same for
desktop. there are no partitions and the briefcase is
already 400 MB in size. So each time I synchronize, the
files are copied correctly but after I disconnect and I
connect again, they appear like orphans and the default
synchronization is "skip, both files modified".

3. Related to above: assuming that I will ever fix problem
2, how will I be able to change the default synchronization
"skip" to update on already 200 files ? The briefcase
doesn't support selection of multiple files, so I would
have to perform right click-select 200 times...

I am working with hundreds of files at a time and I need to
be mobile so the briefcase feature is essential to my work.
I would really appreciate some help with this :)  Feel free
to reply to my personal email address.
Thank you,
Miki

More about : briefcase trouble

Anonymous
October 10, 2004 3:30:42 PM

Miki wrote:
> I am having trouble with Briefcase in Win XP. I synchronize
> my desktop with the briefcase on my laptop over a wireless
> LAN connection through Remote Desktop Connection. Both
> laptop and desktop are new and originally installed with
> Win XP Pro.
>
> 1. I cannot acces multiple files from the briefcase at a
> time. For example if My computer is browsing the briefcase
> and I want to open a briefcase file in Photoshop I receive
> the message : "Briefcase is in use on another computer.
> Close the Briefcase on that computer and then try again"
> although it is only in use by another utility on my own
> computer and the remote connection is closed. I cannot use
> more than one file at a time with different applications
> which is very annoying.
>
> 2. The BIG problem: After I sinchronize with the desktop
> and I end the Remote Desktop connection, I get the message
> :"Briefcase not accessible" and then "Briefcase database
> will not be saved. Remove some files or move briefcase to
> another disk and try again." just like if there were not
> enough space to save the newly synchronized files. There
> are 35 GB available on the laptop hard-drive , same for
> desktop. there are no partitions and the briefcase is
> already 400 MB in size. So each time I synchronize, the
> files are copied correctly but after I disconnect and I
> connect again, they appear like orphans and the default
> synchronization is "skip, both files modified".
>
> 3. Related to above: assuming that I will ever fix problem
> 2, how will I be able to change the default synchronization
> "skip" to update on already 200 files ? The briefcase
> doesn't support selection of multiple files, so I would
> have to perform right click-select 200 times...
>
> I am working with hundreds of files at a time and I need to
> be mobile so the briefcase feature is essential to my work.
> I would really appreciate some help with this :)  Feel free
> to reply to my personal email address.
> Thank you,
> Miki

I personally haven't used Briefcase for a long time, but I remember pulling
my hair out last time I tried. I'd probably check out SecondCopy 2000 from
www.centered.com - it works really well. I use it for all my remote/laptop
users. Might work for you. They have an eval copy you could try for 30
days...install it on your client PC and sync to the host across the LAN, not
through Remote Desktop.
!