Editing AVI files

I'm told that editing AVI files is an entirely different animal from
editing MPG files. What are the differences? What tool do you suggest
for editing AVI files?
10 answers Last reply
More about editing files

    "Guy" <newsgroupposter@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1104435278.119860.290800@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > I'm told that editing AVI files is an entirely different animal from
    > editing MPG files. What are the differences? What tool do you suggest
    > for editing AVI files?

    MPG is a specific encoding format, or rather a set of formats.

    AVI is a file specification only; i.e. it may take any number of
    different compression/encoding methods, or it may not be
    compressed at all.

    The difference is, if you have (for example) an MPEG1
    codec installed on your system, you'll be able to edit *any*
    MPEG1 file. But there is no such thing as a single AVI codec.
    In order to edit an AVI file one needs to know whether it's
    compressed, and if so, which codec was used to compress it,
    and this particular codec must be installed.

    >I'm told that editing AVI files is an entirely different animal from
    >editing MPG files. What are the differences?

    AVI editing is frame accurate, MPG is not. This means that when
    editing an AVI, the frame you choose to start and stop a cut is
    exactly where it will be cut.

    MPG video is composed of 3 different kinds of frames - I, B, and P.
    In order to minimize the amount of data required to recreate each
    frame, one complete frame ("I") is sent, then the differences between
    that one and the next are sent to recreate the next frames ("B" and
    "P"). You can only cut on "I" frames. This means a fraction of the
    previous scene may disappear (or part of the next scene may remain)
    where you make a cut. This is annoying to some and looks sloppy
    if you are editing video for presentation.

    >What tool do you suggest
    >for editing AVI files?

    http://www.videohelp.com/edit#5;19

    VirtualDub is often talked about here. Adobe Premier.
    I personally use Sony Vegas.

    There are many many others.

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:43:27 -0800, "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >"Guy" <newsgroupposter@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1104435278.119860.290800@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    >> I'm told that editing AVI files is an entirely different animal from
    >> editing MPG files. What are the differences? What tool do you suggest
    >> for editing AVI files?
    >
    >MPG is a specific encoding format, or rather a set of formats.
    >
    >AVI is a file specification only; i.e. it may take any number of
    >different compression/encoding methods, or it may not be
    >compressed at all.
    >
    >The difference is, if you have (for example) an MPEG1
    >codec installed on your system, you'll be able to edit *any*
    >MPEG1 file. But there is no such thing as a single AVI codec.
    >In order to edit an AVI file one needs to know whether it's
    >compressed, and if so, which codec was used to compress it,
    >and this particular codec must be installed.

    This is right. .avi is not an encoding format, it is often called a
    container type: the way data is organised in the file; a file
    specification indeed. Often not well understood, please remember.

    On a sunny day (Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:56:09 -0500) it happened Fuzzy Wuzzy
    <nospam@please.com.invalid> wrote in
    <0tm8t0hf4s63326b4mu78n9fhs1p817ck4@4ax.com>:

    >>I'm told that editing AVI files is an entirely different animal from
    >>editing MPG files. What are the differences?
    >
    >AVI editing is frame accurate, MPG is not. This means that when
    >editing an AVI, the frame you choose to start and stop a cut is
    >exactly where it will be cut.
    >
    >MPG video is composed of 3 different kinds of frames - I, B, and P.
    >In order to minimize the amount of data required to recreate each
    >frame, one complete frame ("I") is sent, then the differences between
    >that one and the next are sent to recreate the next frames ("B" and
    >"P"). You can only cut on "I" frames.
    This is not correct, if you properly decode the frame sequence you
    want to cut in, then can cut at any frame, it takes slightly more
    processing power.
    Good mpeg editors do this.
    JP

    Thanks to you both for the information!

    JP, what MPEG editors do you recommend?

    Do any AVI and/or MPEG editors support audio editing, too? e.g., muting
    some of the dialog?

    Thanks. So as long as a codec is installed that permits playback of the
    AVI, an editor like VirtualDub should have no trouble with it?

    >>AVI editing is frame accurate, MPG is not. This means that when
    editing an AVI, the frame you choose to start and stop a cut is exactly
    where it will be cut.

    >Frame accurate mpeg-editors (mpeg-vcr, VideoRedo...) [can make a frame
    a keyframe], while you may stumble upon an Avi editor (VirtualDub, for
    instance) which does not -and thus, cannot cut but on keyframes.

    I don't understand. Which of the above two statements is accurate? If
    AVIs are "frame accurate", why are keyframes relevant?

    Guy wrote:
    > >>AVI editing is frame accurate, MPG is not. This means that when
    > editing an AVI, the frame you choose to start and stop a cut is
    exactly
    > where it will be cut.
    >
    > >Frame accurate mpeg-editors (mpeg-vcr, VideoRedo...) [can make a
    frame
    > a keyframe], while you may stumble upon an Avi editor (VirtualDub,
    for
    > instance) which does not -and thus, cannot cut but on keyframes.
    >
    > I don't understand. Which of the above two statements is accurate? If
    > AVIs are "frame accurate", why are keyframes relevant?

    I wanted to answer before, but was a bit busy here...
    Indeed Virtualdub (avi editor) allows you to select start and end of a
    section by moving to a next key frame.
    If the file is for example in DivX format the keyframe may happen every
    ten seconds.
    Not great for editing.
    If you make a DivX avi, and know you are going to cut parts, you could
    use key frames more often (say once per second).
    Nevertheless virtualdub is great for cutting commercials from the start
    of a DivX etc...
    In what I do, I edit BEFORE the encoding to DivX, and, because
    sometimes I
    use embedded subtitles, I feed the original that I use (say mpeg2
    format)
    through subtitler, and that allows me to cut and fade and change color,
    insert pictures, subtitles of cause too, and do simple animations,
    scrolling
    lists etc..
    So and almost always I process the sound separately.
    I have experienced the same sound out of sync problem that somebody
    else
    mentioned here when using for example the womble mpeg editor demo
    (it can cut frame accurate mpeg2).
    Because of corrections to sound etc. I want the sound in the wave
    editor
    anyways.
    Often it needs to be recoded, bitrate change etc..
    I am doing pretty wild sound editing in Linux just with things like
    wavecat, multimux, substractwave and a whole lot of small utilities,
    sox,
    If you want to have a closer look look at
    http://panteltje.com/panteltje/dvd/
    http://panteltje.com/panteltje/dvd/big-dvd.txt
    http://panteltje.com/panteltje/subtitles/
    That is about multi language 8 channel DVD authoring.
    Because it is all scripts, it is 100% reproducible, and it is easy
    to change something in the scripts and run it again on the source
    material
    to get a different result.
    So what I am getting at, not the click and drag and drop interfaces for
    me.
    If the editor allows no scripting, you cannot ever reproduce what you
    did.
    The other thing about re-rendering is that you do not really lose that
    much
    quality as you may think.
    Basically I use whatever method seems the most useful at that moment..,
    sometimes all of them combined.
    PC has been coding many a night, pick up the result in the morning.
    Again here scripts make life very easy.

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:33:02 GMT, Jan Panteltje
    <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >if you properly decode the frame sequence you
    >want to cut in, then can cut at any frame

    The thing is, if the frame is not a key one, then the editing program
    needs make it a keyframe, and derive the rest of frames, up to the
    next keyframe, from this new keyframe, which involves re-encoding of
    these frames. Frame accurate mpeg-editors (mpeg-vcr, VideoRedo...) do
    this, while you may stumble upon an Avi editor (VirtualDub, for
    instance) which does not -and thus, cannot cut but on keyframes.
  10. Here I would like to share you 2 methods for http://www.*****/howtoedit/avi-editor-for-mac.html, one is iMovie, another is http://www.*****/howtoedit/avi-editor-for-mac.html (which doesn’t have many advanced capabilities, but for beginners and hobbyists it’s a great way to get started and get creative with your editing).

Tuner Cards Desktops Video AVI Graphics