shadowing a remote desktop session

I'd like to be able to log on to Windows XP, then connect
to that computer via a remote destop session, without
logging out or locking the local login.
Is this possible?

thanks
YCI

What you want to use is VNC or something like it.

YCI wrote:
> I'd like to be able to log on to Windows XP, then connect
> to that computer via a remote destop session, without
> logging out or locking the local login.
> Is this possible?

Not with RD on XP Pro - it's only one login at a time, no interactivity. On
a server running TS, yes. Check out one of the VNC products as advised in
the other reply.

> thanks
> YCI

Hi,

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
> YCI wrote:
>> I'd like to be able to log on to Windows XP, then connect
>> to that computer via a remote destop session, without
>> logging out or locking the local login.
>> Is this possible?
>
> Not with RD on XP Pro - it's only one login at a time, no
> interactivity. On a server running TS, yes.

Do you mean that with Terminal Server there can be 2 or more users
controlling the same desktop? I though that RD was actually TS with a new
name... And RD doesn't allow you to do that. I'd be interrested to have more
info on that.

Elp wrote:
> Do you mean that with Terminal Server there can be 2 or more users
> controlling the same desktop? I though that RD was actually TS with a
> new name... And RD doesn't allow you to do that. I'd be interrested
> to have more info on that.

Search for "shadowing a terminal services connection"..

Open a command prompt and type:

shadow /?

--
<- Shenan ->

My understanding is that shadowing the remote session IS possible--i.e. you
have three XP machines, and two of them are looking at the same remote
session on the third machine.

I haven't done this myself yet, however. This doesn't do what the OP
wanted, which involved just the two machines.

Bill Sanderson wrote:
> My understanding is that shadowing the remote session IS
> possible--i.e. you have three XP machines, and two of them are
> looking at the same remote session on the third machine.
>
> I haven't done this myself yet, however. This doesn't do what the OP
> wanted, which involved just the two machines.

I don't believe this is possible using Remote Desktop hosted on an XP Pro
PC.
You can do it with Terminal Services/Remote Desktop on a W2000/2003 server,
though.

> "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
>> Elp wrote:
>>> Do you mean that with Terminal Server there can be 2 or more users
>>> controlling the same desktop? I though that RD was actually TS with
>>> a new name... And RD doesn't allow you to do that. I'd be
>>> interrested to have more info on that.
>>
>> Search for "shadowing a terminal services connection"..
>>
>> Open a command prompt and type:
>>
>> shadow /?
>>
>> --
>> <- Shenan ->
>> --
>> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
>> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
>> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
>> getting into before you jump in with both feet.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
> I don't believe this is possible using Remote Desktop hosted on an XP
> Pro PC.
> You can do it with Terminal Services/Remote Desktop on a W2000/2003
> server, though.

Definitely.. even from a Windows XP client. I have shadowed console/remote
sessions from my XP professional box on our 2K3 servers. Comes in useful
when you have more than one system admin and are separated by geography..

--
<- Shenan ->

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
>> I don't believe this is possible using Remote Desktop hosted on an XP
>> Pro PC.
>> You can do it with Terminal Services/Remote Desktop on a W2000/2003
>> server, though.
>
> Definitely.. even from a Windows XP client. I have shadowed
> console/remote sessions from my XP professional box on our 2K3
> servers. Comes in useful when you have more than one system admin
> and are separated by geography..

Yes, absolutely. That's not the same as shadowing a Remote Desktop session
*to* an XP Pro box, which is what I thought the OP was asking about....or
using more than one login at a time (one local, one remote) to an XP Pro RD
host.

> --
> <- Shenan ->

Agreed. My impression from Jeffrey was that shadowing was possible among XP
machines alone, but if it is, I haven't gotten there (yet!)

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

Bill Sanderson wrote:
> Agreed. My impression from Jeffrey was that shadowing was possible
> among XP machines alone, but if it is, I haven't gotten there (yet!)

If it's possible, I'd sure like to know about it. AFAIK, it can't be done...
:-(