Ron

I have a home net work with 3 computers. 2 tablets and one tower. I want to
put the tower in electronics closet with no keyboard, mouse, or monitor
connected. I want to use the tower as a server of sorts. Really I just want
to plug my printers into it and use the hard drives, and disc drives and
access them with the two tablets. We are both wired and wireless with the
tablets. All works well now on the network, but currently the tower is in my
office with monitor and keyboard shared with one of the tablets via Belkin
KVM switch. As the KVM is limited to the 6' cable I cannot put the tower in
the remote electronics closet. Once I do put the tower there I want to not to
only be able to save, backup, and run printers ect from it-which I can
currently do, but I will want to be able to reboot the host or tower, update,
etc from the clients or tablets. Here is the problem. I have set up the host
client relationship per online instruction, but when I try to remote in I get
a message to the effect that I need to check the user name password-case
sensitve. I know these are correct as I set them up myself and can log in
directly on the host tower. What am I doing wrong. Note tower is XP Pro and
Tablets are XP Tablet. All went as described during set up except for the
direction to lock the host. I dont know what that means.

Ron wrote:
> I have a home net work with 3 computers. 2 tablets and one tower. I
> want to put the tower in electronics closet with no keyboard, mouse,
> or monitor connected. I want to use the tower as a server of sorts.
> Really I just want to plug my printers into it and use the hard
> drives, and disc drives and access them with the two tablets. We are
> both wired and wireless with the tablets. All works well now on the
> network, but currently the tower is in my office with monitor and
> keyboard shared with one of the tablets via Belkin KVM switch. As the
> KVM is limited to the 6' cable I cannot put the tower in the remote
> electronics closet. Once I do put the tower there I want to not to
> only be able to save, backup, and run printers ect from it-which I
> can currently do, but I will want to be able to reboot the host or
> tower, update, etc from the clients or tablets. Here is the problem.
> I have set up the host client relationship per online instruction,
> but when I try to remote in I get a message to the effect that I need
> to check the user name password-case sensitve. I know these are
> correct as I set them up myself and can log in directly on the host
> tower. What am I doing wrong. Note tower is XP Pro and Tablets are XP
> Tablet. All went as described during set up except for the direction
> to lock the host. I dont know what that means.

When you enabled Remote Desktop on the XP Pro machine, did you also choose
the users who are allowed to connect to it?

Ron

I saw the opportunity to do so, but it would not accept any of my user names,
passwords, etc. I am curious if it is somthing to do with the fact we are not
a domain buy rather MSHOME. I used network wizzard to set up network and it
works and shares fine between the three computers.

Thanks in advance.
Ron

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> Ron wrote:
> > I have a home net work with 3 computers. 2 tablets and one tower. I
> > want to put the tower in electronics closet with no keyboard, mouse,
> > or monitor connected. I want to use the tower as a server of sorts.
> > Really I just want to plug my printers into it and use the hard
> > drives, and disc drives and access them with the two tablets. We are
> > both wired and wireless with the tablets. All works well now on the
> > network, but currently the tower is in my office with monitor and
> > keyboard shared with one of the tablets via Belkin KVM switch. As the
> > KVM is limited to the 6' cable I cannot put the tower in the remote
> > electronics closet. Once I do put the tower there I want to not to
> > only be able to save, backup, and run printers ect from it-which I
> > can currently do, but I will want to be able to reboot the host or
> > tower, update, etc from the clients or tablets. Here is the problem.
> > I have set up the host client relationship per online instruction,
> > but when I try to remote in I get a message to the effect that I need
> > to check the user name password-case sensitve. I know these are
> > correct as I set them up myself and can log in directly on the host
> > tower. What am I doing wrong. Note tower is XP Pro and Tablets are XP
> > Tablet. All went as described during set up except for the direction
> > to lock the host. I dont know what that means.
>
> When you enabled Remote Desktop on the XP Pro machine, did you also choose
> the users who are allowed to connect to it?

Mike

Splendid

If locking your host = locking your win xp machine, then
ctrl-alt-del then select the lock computer option. hth :)

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Ron wrote:
>> I have a home net work with 3 computers. 2 tablets and one tower. I
>> want to put the tower in electronics closet with no keyboard, mouse,
>> or monitor connected. I want to use the tower as a server of sorts.
>> Really I just want to plug my printers into it and use the hard
>> drives, and disc drives and access them with the two tablets. We are
>> both wired and wireless with the tablets. All works well now on the
>> network, but currently the tower is in my office with monitor and
>> keyboard shared with one of the tablets via Belkin KVM switch. As the
>> KVM is limited to the 6' cable I cannot put the tower in the remote
>> electronics closet. Once I do put the tower there I want to not to
>> only be able to save, backup, and run printers ect from it-which I
>> can currently do, but I will want to be able to reboot the host or
>> tower, update, etc from the clients or tablets. Here is the problem.
>> I have set up the host client relationship per online instruction,
>> but when I try to remote in I get a message to the effect that I need
>> to check the user name password-case sensitve. I know these are
>> correct as I set them up myself and can log in directly on the host
>> tower. What am I doing wrong. Note tower is XP Pro and Tablets are XP
>> Tablet. All went as described during set up except for the direction
>> to lock the host. I dont know what that means.
>
> When you enabled Remote Desktop on the XP Pro machine, did you also choose
> the users who are allowed to connect to it?

Ron

Mike. I have checked ctrl-alt-del and see log off, hibernate, stand by,
restart, turn off, log or Ron, switch users, but no lock. I am using XP Pro
w/sp2

Ron

Ron wrote:
> I saw the opportunity to do so, but it would not accept any of my
> user names, passwords, etc.

Not sure what you mean - in the Remote Desktop tab you should be able to add
local users.