Could someone of knowledge tell me just what is meant by that term? My tuner
cannot work because the tech said my system may have a video overlay. of course
he could not tell me how to get rid of it, if I can, or find out if I have it
at all?

What operating system and what tuner card ?

As I understand it some tv tuners use a function of DirectX to put a
window on the display that is not handled by the operating system.

That overlay does not appear if you are trying to capture the onscreen
video.
Have you been carefully through the installation instructions ?

>What operating system and what tuner card ?
>
>As I understand it some tv tuners use a function of DirectX to put a
>window on the display that is not handled by the operating system.
>
>That overlay does not appear if you are trying to capture the onscreen
>video.
>Have you been carefully through the installation instructions ?
>

>I havew both XP and Win98se and its not a card, its a ATI TV Wonder USB
external unit. Direct X is vital according to ati for this unit. Ive followed
the instructions till I was blue in the face, and can get the main feature ( TV
Display ) to show. In XP, when clicked on the icon of it, XP reboots. In
Win98se, I get the message that it cannot be ininitialized. Their web page
mentions all about video overlay. To me that is way over my head..never heard
of it. It was working just fine in another computer with Win98, that is why I
have win98se now, but it does not seem to make a difference.

wishy13764@aol.com (Wishy13764) wrote in

>>What operating system and what tuner card ?
>>
>>As I understand it some tv tuners use a function of DirectX to put
>>a window on the display that is not handled by the operating
>>system.
>>
>>That overlay does not appear if you are trying to capture the
>>onscreen video.
>>Have you been carefully through the installation instructions ?
>>

> I havew both XP and Win98se and its not a card, its a ATI TV
> Wonder USB
> external unit. Direct X is vital according to ati for this unit.
> Ive followed the instructions till I was blue in the face, and can
> get the main feature ( TV Display ) to show. In XP, when clicked
> on the icon of it, XP reboots. In Win98se, I get the message that
> it cannot be ininitialized. Their web page mentions all about
> video overlay. To me that is way over my head..never heard of it.
> It was working just fine in another computer with Win98, that is
> why I have win98se now, but it does not seem to make a difference.

Try going to video settings (right click on an empty area of the
desktop & choose the Settings tab on the screen that pops up).

Then click the Advanced button followed by the Troubleshoot tab on
the new - Settings - panel (not the Troubleshoot boutton next to the
Advanced button on the Settings panel).

There should be a Hardware Acceleration slider on the new panel.
Slide it all the way back, i.e. to the left, then close everything,
reboot if required, and retry.

If that helps, you can try moving the slider in successive steps to
the right until you lose it again.

Overlay is part of the hardware acceleration, but it's all magic to
me, so I can't help further :)

HTH,
Gino.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

TRENDING THREADS