Intel Centrino 2200bg and disabled SSID broadcast

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
October 25, 2004 3:03:08 AM

Hi,

i have an Acer TM Laptop with Intel Centrino 2200bg Wireless card. OS
is Windows XP with SP2. I use the Microsoft utility for configurig my
WLAN card.

I have no problems with connecting to a Wireless Access Points while
SSID broadcast is enabled by the Access Points.

When SSID broadcast is disabled the Laptop needs a couple of minutes
for connecting the Access Point. Sometimes i get absolutely no
connection to the Access Points.

The Access Points are OK, with a DLINK Wirless-Card in another Laptop
i have no Problems with connection WAPs with disabled SSID broadcast.
So i Assume it is a Problem with my 2200bg chipset.

When I use the Intel PROSet Configuration Utility i can find these
hidden Access Points. But unfortunately when using PROSet i can use
WEP-Encryption only. When i use WPA-PSK with PROSet the Laptop
connects to the AccessPoint but then there is no data flow between the
Laptop and the Network.

Who knows a Workaround for this Problem

Alex
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 5:45:35 PM

I recommend visiting your laptop manufacturer's website to verify that you
are using the latest driver for the Centrino 2000BG card. If neccessary,
updating the Centrino has resolved issues for some customers.

As you may already know, disabling SSID Broadcast does not provide any real
additional security. Once a client connects to an access point using a
hidden SSID, the SSID is visible to anyone with a wireless sniffer. The
best model for your network would be the use of WPA-PSK with a broadcast
SSID. This will eliminate your connection delays and offer some of the best
security available to you at this time.

--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless