Wintel Tablets Could Cost Up to $900

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Not that I'd like to shell out ~$900 but if the hardware and the OS are there it wouldn't be the end of me to do so if that means not killing profit margins and worsening working conditions for those workers overseas who make these.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Well, an x86 tablet would basically be an ultrabook without a keyboard, and Intel is having a hard time keeping those things under a grand, so I suppose it makes sense.

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
If Microsoft and Intel don't market their products competitively they simply won't gain any market share! Its that simple.

If Intel refuses to drop chip prices, then WinAMD tablets might sell better. The current Windows tablet running on an AMD Brazos CPU by MSI (The Windpad 110W) Can be bought for just $600 US, Which is only $100 more than Android tablets. If AMD can do it ... why can't Intel/MS?

An AMD Brazos Tablet dual Booted with Android and Windows 8 would be awesome ...

G

The top-end iPad 2, with 3G and 64GB of storage, costs $829 at the Apple Store, and runs on a dual-core ARM SoC. If Microsoft and Intel can put out a tablet not too dissimilar to the Samsung Series 7 Slate (which was the basis for the "//build/" conference tablet that Microsoft gave away free last September) for under a thousand dollars, then I they'd have the better 'value proposition' in any case. I have one of those build-conference tablets, and I can pop it in the dock (into which I have plugged a full-size keyboard, mouse, and a 22" monitor), and instantly I have a full-blown computer that runs Word, Excel, and Visual Studio.

Pull it out and take it with me, and it's a tablet with a fantastic screen (1366 x 768), a great HTML5 browser (IE10), and 64GB of storage, not to mention built-in 3G. And it came with a bluetooth keyboard.

Since Samsung sells a Windows 7 version of this (the Series 7 Slate) for about $1000 even, or less with promotions, I'm hoping they can put out a new Ivy Bridge-based version for about the same.

Another key thing is that this is for *Intel* powered tablets. Windows on ARM (WOA) tablets are going to run on the same (lower-power) architecture that runs the iPad, and Galaxy Tab line of tablets (and the new, promising-looking Transformer Prime). So a "true" comparison would be a Windows 8 on ARM tablet to either an iPad or Android tablet. The x86 tablets are capable of running desktop software, and filling in as a laptop, while the ARM tablets are not (at least, not yet).

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
They mark up their prices by like 100% over the manufacturing and packaging costs anyway, hell I'd be happy if I made a 5-10% profit from something especially if it's being mass-produced. It would still be more money to roll in than you could spend.

Yet somehow.. Greed always wins them over.
I mean seriously.. Amazon did good with the Kindle fire and although they make a loss, I would have easily paid $250 for a device like that (well, here anyway). And yes I know they earn back some money on book sales etc..

Aren't they learning anything from companies like that?

laos62

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Why that expensive tablet when a netbooks can be priced below $400 incl Intel Atom and Win7 ? They are not gonna have an i7 in there

lucky015

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
This is News? It has been the prediction of those of us not simply mesmerized by overpriced pointless tech for a long time.

Tablets are beginning to gain less and less ground by the day, They are merely an accessory with no particularly different use.

The iPad has made it this far solely because of its novelty and fan-boy attitude of their customer base, Android tablets are picking up a little as a cheaper alternative because of the free OS and the low cost tech designs from the likes of Qualcomm, T.I, Samsung, nVIDIA and a few others.

"Wintel" tablets sacrifice the best thing tablets have going for them so far, They are a low cost device, Increased functionality will help for some customers but not the majority.

lucky015

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Kirkaiya[/nom]The top-end iPad 2, with 3G and 64GB of storage, costs $829 at the Apple Store, and runs on a dual-core ARM SoC. If Microsoft and Intel can put out a tablet not too dissimilar to the Samsung Series 7 Slate (which was the basis for the "//build/" conference tablet that Microsoft gave away free last September) for under a thousand dollars, then I they'd have the better 'value proposition' in any case. I have one of those build-conference tablets, and I can pop it in the dock (into which I have plugged a full-size keyboard, mouse, and a 22" monitor), and instantly I have a full-blown computer that runs Word, Excel, and Visual Studio.Pull it out and take it with me, and it's a tablet with a fantastic screen (1366 x 768), a great HTML5 browser (IE10), and 64GB of storage, not to mention built-in 3G. And it came with a bluetooth keyboard.Since Samsung sells a Windows 7 version of this (the Series 7 Slate) for about $1000 even, or less with promotions, I'm hoping they can put out a new Ivy Bridge-based version for about the same.Another key thing is that this is for *Intel* powered tablets. Windows on ARM (WOA) tablets are going to run on the same (lower-power) architecture that runs the iPad, and Galaxy Tab line of tablets (and the new, promising-looking Transformer Prime). So a "true" comparison would be a Windows 8 on ARM tablet to either an iPad or Android tablet. The x86 tablets are capable of running desktop software, and filling in as a laptop, while the ARM tablets are not (at least, not yet).[/citation]
Competing with apple over "Value for money" for years has been one of the simplest things in the world, It is just a matter of finding something to overcome their customers fan-boy attitude.

Fighting Apple is one thing but Android tablets are becoming a whole different ball game.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]spookie[/nom]OVER PRICED![/citation]

hopefully that's where AMD comes in and the reason they fired their last CEO

up to $900? what will be the lowest price? not gonna bother with something like that if prices start from 499 and go up. tablets should be divided into two price classes - entry level ($190 and lower) and mid range ($200-300). after that, 'apple'.

spookie

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]hopefully that's where AMD comes in and the reason they fired their last CEO[/citation]

That would be awesome! Their low powered CPUs are so much better :)

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]They mark up their prices by like 100% over the manufacturing and packaging costs anyway, hell I'd be happy if I made a 5-10% profit from something especially if it's being mass-produced....[/citation]
You forgot to account for R&D, process node improvements, validation, support, etc., etc..

If you where only to look at the production and packaging costs I agree the processor would be penny cheap.
Unfortunately there is quite a bit of work and investments needed to bring a design to production that still needs to be accounted for.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]Well, an x86 tablet would basically be an ultrabook without a keyboard, and Intel is having a hard time keeping those things under a grand, so I suppose it makes sense.[/citation]
Nope an Ultrabook would be an I5 or I7 Ivybridge processor with reasonable storage, and a few other pieces of hardware that tablets don't have.

A tablet is an atom processor with 8-32 gbs of storage.

That's no comparison. The gear inside a tablet is not on par with what's in a netbook.

So in this case Intel is just smoking crack. No one is going to buy these things.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]outlw6669[/nom]You forgot to account for R&D, process node improvements, validation, support, etc., etc..If you where only to look at the production and packaging costs I agree the processor would be penny cheap.Unfortunately there is quite a bit of work and investments needed to bring a design to production that still needs to be accounted for.[/citation]
You forgot that when your R&D costs HAVE ALREADY BEEN covered by your usual market, you do not have to be an idiot and not lower prices in a new market.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
i'll stick with my ep121 and throw in win8 when it's out. win7 starting to feel old on it. i might dual boot with x86 version of android ics. :p

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
considering the fact that this is essentially a fully-fledged windows machine in tablet form, I can't just say it'll be too expensive. I can see some users simply needing that sort of functionality on the road, perhaps where even a laptop is a bit too bulky for the job. However, I cannot see an average consumer buying such an item

And most people forget that even at the $300 price point, what you get in a tablet is still inferior to what you can get in a really cheap laptop. Tablets are a novelty item at the moment, as very few people have an absolute NEED for them. What can a tablet do that a smartphone can't? Now what's left that a laptop can't do? Very little is left, if anything. By the time you hit $600, a well-informed consumer can usually buy a halfway decent laptop, and at $1,000 they can buy a very powerful laptop capable of replacing a desktop as their everyday machine. It makes no financial sense for most people to even OWN a tablet. Yet here we are in this crazy market...

theuniquegamer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
At that price people would either buy any ipad or any galaxy tab product which are available every where with good app support. Other than them the budget users will buy some kindle fire like cheap and good stuff.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010

I would imagine that the entire line of windows programs consists of more applications than an "app market" so Apple's and Android's markets are truly irrelevant in this comparison.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]considering the fact that this is essentially a fully-fledged windows machine in tablet form, I can't just say it'll be too expensive. I can see some users simply needing that sort of functionality on the road, perhaps where even a laptop is a bit too bulky for the job. However, I cannot see an average consumer buying such an itemAnd most people forget that even at the $300 price point,.[/citation]

Right but this is $300 dollar hardware. An atom processor is dirt cheap and you can buy a netbook with that type of processor in it AND more storage for $300 bucks. Now you are saying if its in a tablet the same crap is worth $900-$1000. And you justify this by saying its "for the people who need it."

Is that a joke or are you just confused ?

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Right but this is $300 dollar hardware. An atom processor is dirt cheap and you can buy a netbook with that type of processor in it AND more storage for $300 bucks. Now you are saying if its in a tablet the same crap is worth $900-$1000. And you justify this by saying its "for the people who need it."Is that a joke or are you just confused ?[/citation]

It costs more to put it all in a smaller package, it always had. In addition, Microsoft has released hardware requirements for windows 8 tablets, and when you put everything together, it's not "dirt cheap." How many netbooks need accelerometers, constant passive cooling, touch input, and a smaller design (such as 7")?

Status
Not open for further replies.