Problems capturing video on Acer laptop

I am having problems capturing video on my laptop and am not sure
where to start looking to resolve it. Is it the laptop, the capture
device, the video or all 3!!!!

The laptop is a Acer 1501LMi, the capture device is a Belkin 'hi-speed
usb 2.0 dvd creator' which came with Uleads Video Studeo 6 and the
video is a jvc something_or_other with a scart socket.

I can see the capture device when I am in VS6 (and if I unplug the
video, it knows, so the cable seems to work!) but when I click on
capture video in VS6, all I see it the screen where the captured image
should be go from black to very, very dark grey, but no image. The
scart socket definitely works with a tv.

Can anybody help and tell me where I start looking?

My guess is that you need to connect with a 1394 or "firewire" cable, not a
USB. As I understand it, USB is for transferring still photos and firewire
is for digital video.
-Mark

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:55:52 GMT, "MRS" <tabcourt@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My guess is that you need to connect with a 1394 or "firewire" cable, not a
>USB. As I understand it, USB is for transferring still photos and firewire
>is for digital video.
>-Mark

USB and Firewire are oply data transfer systems; they don't care
whether the data is still pics, video, MP3, or a spreadsheet.

The differece is in what the devices need; most video cameras use
Firewire, while most still cameras use USB. But there's nothing to
keep manufacturers from putting USB 2 ports on video cameras, or
Firewire ports on digital cameras.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"