VPN Logon failure

October 12, 2004 6:30:08 PM

THE PROBLEM:

The "NET USE s: //192.168.2.10/shared" fails with a "Must Log On" error
message on 1 of 5 machines. What could causing the failure?

BACKGROUND:

I am attempting to map a drive across a VPN connection from a client
Windows ME machine to a host XP-SP2 machine. A Linksys BEFVP41 is used
at the host and all remotes use SSH Sentinel client S/W.

The VPN tunnel is established using MSN as the ISP -- I can ping the
host computer (192.168.2.10) from the failing client machine.

Several other remote client computers are able to map drives using the
NET USE command without giving the error message (although the ISP is
different; i.e., RoadRunner and Bell South.) The OS on these working
client machines are Win-98SE, Win-ME, Win-XP home, Win-XP Pro.

More about : vpn logon failure

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 1:10:43 AM

First, reverse the slashes, i.e., \\192.168.2.10\shared

Second, make sure that the user name you are using on the client
machine matches the username (or one that is authorized) on the server
machine - if you are on a workgroup environment.
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -