Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Trying to capture computer screen to DVD video

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 8:01:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Hello everyone, here's a question for you. I am running visiualizations
on winamp on my computer and I want to capture the images and sound to
an mpg format that I can play on my DVD player. Anyone know how I can
do this?
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 1:41:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

alloowishus wrote:

> Hello everyone, here's a question for you. I am running
visiualizations
> on winamp on my computer and I want to capture the images and sound
to
> an mpg format that I can play on my DVD player. Anyone know how I can
> do this?

Search the internet for Camtasia (not cheap, but good) or Snagit, or
a freeware/shareware called Frontcam (you can crop off the watermark at
the top during editing). You can capture any part of your screen as an
AVI movie file, along with the audio or any audio from your sound card.
Convert that to a compliant MPEG for DVD.
The biggest limitation is your capture codec. There isn't much of a
choice with Frontcam, but I have great luck with Xvid and Camtasia. I
can't access the Xvid codec with Frontcam, and the old MS Video 1 codec
actually worked the best with that program, although there were some
bad artifacts when I tried to capture another movie off my screen...
Winamp visualizations should work okay with it, because I successfully
captured Galaga (MAME arcade game) with it.
You'll have to find a good compromise between codec, codec settings
and frame rate. I can't get a full 30fps with Xvid with a decent
resolution (capture size), but close enough, IMO (somewhere between
25fps to 30fps). It looks okay played back as a 30fps MPEG, just a very
slight jumpiness due to some dropped frames.

P. K. Kid
Non-commercial stereoscopic 3D movie clips:
(All G-Rated) http://www.puppetkites.net
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 8:00:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

hi, I downloaded Camtasia and it seems to work, but it's slow and
jerky, and it doesn't seem to record audio playing on the computer (as
opposed to coming in through and external source). I guess what I need
is something that can record a computer video display externally, any
ideas? thanks for the help.
Related resources
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 2:37:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On 12 Jan 2005 17:00:10 -0800, "alloowishus" <alloowishus@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I guess what I need
>is something that can record a computer video display externally

Like having 2 computers? One plays the video, and has an VGA-to-TV
device, through which it is connected to a second computer that
records the display.
January 13, 2005 2:37:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
news:3pjcu0987ms5a3bp3bt60l7o8mded9u2bl@4ax.com...
> On 12 Jan 2005 17:00:10 -0800, "alloowishus" <alloowishus@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I guess what I need
>>is something that can record a computer video display externally
>
> Like having 2 computers? One plays the video, and has an VGA-to-TV
> device, through which it is connected to a second computer that
> records the display.
>
>

Or even just one pc...

If it's got a tv-out and also a video capture card then you'd be able to
capture the tv-out.
It'd capture the audio you desire too.

Martin.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 3:58:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:59:25 -0000, "Martin" <zedolf@o2.co.uk> wrote:

>Or even just one pc...
>
>If it's got a tv-out and also a video capture card then you'd be able to
>capture the tv-out.
>It'd capture the audio you desire too.

Yes, but I guess that would need a powerful PC, as capture, which can
be computation intensive on some cases, would have to share resources
(CPU, drives) with Winamp.
!