Remote Tab not on System Control Panel

I installed XP cleanly from a CD. Then I did the windows update and it
prompted me to go directly to SP2 without installing SP1. I though sure, it
would pick-up all that I needed. Now when I go to the System Control Panel,
the Remote tab is not present. How do I enable the Remote tab? Do I need to
install additional software? I tried going to the Add/Remove Windows
Components and there was no option for Remote Desktop.

Please help,
smanders
8 answers Last reply
More about remote system control panel

    In message <70B0B533-5401-4335-B286-C27237DA4AE4@microsoft.com>,
    "=?Utf-8?B?c21hbmRlcnM=?=" <smanders@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > I installed XP cleanly from a CD. Then I did the windows update and it
    > prompted me to go directly to SP2 without installing SP1. I though sure,
    it
    > would pick-up all that I needed. Now when I go to the System Control Panel,
    > the Remote tab is not present. How do I enable the Remote tab? Do I need
    > install additional software? I tried going to the Add/Remove Windows
    > Components and there was no option for Remote Desktop.
    >
    > Please help,
    > smanders

    Is this an XP Pro machine? If its an XP Home machine then the Remote Desktop
    tab will not be available.

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    --
    Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
    Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/

    The CD was a Pro Version and if I go to the General tab under the System
    Properties says its:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

    But no Remote Tab.

    Thanks,
    smanders

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > In message <70B0B533-5401-4335-B286-C27237DA4AE4@microsoft.com>,
    > "=?Utf-8?B?c21hbmRlcnM=?=" <smanders@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > I installed XP cleanly from a CD. Then I did the windows update and it
    > > prompted me to go directly to SP2 without installing SP1. I though sure,
    > it
    > > would pick-up all that I needed. Now when I go to the System Control Panel,
    > > the Remote tab is not present. How do I enable the Remote tab? Do I need
    > > install additional software? I tried going to the Add/Remove Windows
    > > Components and there was no option for Remote Desktop.
    > >
    > > Please help,
    > > smanders
    >
    > Is this an XP Pro machine? If its an XP Home machine then the Remote Desktop
    > tab will not be available.
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >
    > --
    > Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
    > Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/

    Try reregistering it using the command line that follows...

    regsvr32 remotepg.dll

    Otherwise do a repair install of Windows XP.

    NOTE THE WARNINGS ON THE REFERENCED PAGE!!!!

    --

    "smanders" <smanders@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The CD was a Pro Version and if I go to the General tab under the System
    > Properties says its:
    > Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional
    > Version 2002
    > Service Pack 2
    >
    > But no Remote Tab.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > smanders
    >
    > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    >
    >> In message <70B0B533-5401-4335-B286-C27237DA4AE4@microsoft.com>,
    >> "=?Utf-8?B?c21hbmRlcnM=?=" <smanders@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > I installed XP cleanly from a CD. Then I did the windows update and it
    >> > prompted me to go directly to SP2 without installing SP1. I though sure,
    >> it
    >> > would pick-up all that I needed. Now when I go to the System Control Panel,
    >> > the Remote tab is not present. How do I enable the Remote tab? Do I need
    >> > install additional software? I tried going to the Add/Remove Windows
    >> > Components and there was no option for Remote Desktop.
    >> >
    >> > Please help,
    >> > smanders
    >>
    >> Is this an XP Pro machine? If its an XP Home machine then the Remote Desktop
    >> tab will not be available.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
    >> Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/

    I tried the "regsvr32 remotepg.dll" and it popped up a success window, but
    the tab was still not present. I am following the directions of the link
    provided. I wanted to mention though that the wpa.bak and the
    undo_guimode.txt were not present on my system. The only mentioned file that
    was present was the wpa.dbl. I did backed that up, and proceded with the
    install. I will post my results.

    Thanks again for your help,
    smanders

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > Try reregistering it using the command line that follows...
    >
    > regsvr32 remotepg.dll
    >
    > Otherwise do a repair install of Windows XP.
    >
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >
    > NOTE THE WARNINGS ON THE REFERENCED PAGE!!!!
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "smanders" <smanders@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The CD was a Pro Version and if I go to the General tab under the System
    > > Properties says its:
    > > Microsoft Windows XP
    > > Professional
    > > Version 2002
    > > Service Pack 2
    > >
    > > But no Remote Tab.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > smanders
    > >
    > > "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > >> it

    > >> Is this an XP Pro machine? If its an XP Home machine then the Remote Desktop
    > >> tab will not be available.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
    > >> Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/

    Did you reboot after the regsvr32 command?
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows Network Technology Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    Windows Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:19:03 -0700, "smanders"
    <smanders@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I tried the "regsvr32 remotepg.dll" and it popped up a success window, but
    >the tab was still not present. I am following the directions of the link
    >provided. I wanted to mention though that the wpa.bak and the
    >undo_guimode.txt were not present on my system. The only mentioned file that
    >was present was the wpa.dbl. I did backed that up, and proceded with the
    >install. I will post my results.
    >
    >Thanks again for your help,
    >smanders
    >
    >"Sooner Al" wrote:
    >
    >> Try reregistering it using the command line that follows...
    >>
    >> regsvr32 remotepg.dll
    >>
    >> Otherwise do a repair install of Windows XP.
    >>
    >> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >>
    >> NOTE THE WARNINGS ON THE REFERENCED PAGE!!!!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> "smanders" <smanders@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > The CD was a Pro Version and if I go to the General tab under the System
    >> > Properties says its:
    >> > Microsoft Windows XP
    >> > Professional
    >> > Version 2002
    >> > Service Pack 2
    >> >
    >> > But no Remote Tab.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > smanders

    I did not reboot, however RDP was not the only application that was not
    working properly. It was just the most critical one I needed. I went ahead
    and followed all the directions on the web site and everything worked
    beautifully. All my apps are still installed and I did the "admin" version
    of installing the service packs and I installed SP1 then SP2. All the
    expected applications were in place.

    Thanks so much for your help,
    smanders

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

    > Did you reboot after the regsvr32 command?
    > ---
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    > Windows Network Technology Community -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    > Windows Home Networking Community -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
    >
    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:19:03 -0700, "smanders"
    > <smanders@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I tried the "regsvr32 remotepg.dll" and it popped up a success window, but
    > >the tab was still not present. I am following the directions of the link
    > >provided. I wanted to mention though that the wpa.bak and the
    > >undo_guimode.txt were not present on my system. The only mentioned file that
    > >was present was the wpa.dbl. I did backed that up, and proceded with the
    > >install. I will post my results.
    > >
    > >Thanks again for your help,
    > >smanders
    > >
    > >"Sooner Al" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Try reregistering it using the command line that follows...
    > >>
    > >> regsvr32 remotepg.dll
    > >>
    > >> Otherwise do a repair install of Windows XP.
    > >>
    > >> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    > >>
    > >> NOTE THE WARNINGS ON THE REFERENCED PAGE!!!!
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
    > >>

    > >> "smanders" <smanders@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Good result--thanks for persisting. It isn't necessary, with the Operating
    System service packs, to install the older ones--just installing SP2 would
    have been sufficient, fwiw.

    >I did not reboot, however RDP was not the only application that was not
    > working properly. It was just the most critical one I needed. I went
    > ahead
    > and followed all the directions on the web site and everything worked
    > beautifully. All my apps are still installed and I did the "admin"
    > version
    > of installing the service packs and I installed SP1 then SP2. All the
    > expected applications were in place.
    >
    > Thanks so much for your help,
    > smanders
    >
    > "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Did you reboot after the regsvr32 command?
    >> ---
    >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
    >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>
    >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> be answered depending on time availability....
    >>
    >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> Windows Network Technology Community -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    >> Windows Home Networking Community -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
    >>
    >> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:19:03 -0700, "smanders"
    >> <smanders@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I tried the "regsvr32 remotepg.dll" and it popped up a success window,
    >> >but
    >> >the tab was still not present. I am following the directions of the
    >> >link
    >> >provided. I wanted to mention though that the wpa.bak and the
    >> >undo_guimode.txt were not present on my system. The only mentioned file
    >> >that
    >> >was present was the wpa.dbl. I did backed that up, and proceded with
    >> >the
    >> >install. I will post my results.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks again for your help,
    >> >smanders

    Glad you solved the problem.... :)
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows Network Technology Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    Windows Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:33:05 -0700, "smanders"

Control Panel Windows XP