Web cam or Surveilance cam?

I'd like to place a digital camera in various areas of the home, (just
move it around) and get this view on my computer screen- would this
require a web cam or more like a surveilance cam?? If you can get the
cam's view (pic) on your pc, how is this set up then? Thanks much..

<angelsbridge@webtv.net> wrote in message
> I'd like to place a digital camera in various areas of the home, (just
> move it around) and get this view on my computer screen- would this
> require a web cam or more like a surveilance cam?? If you can get the
> cam's view (pic) on your pc, how is this set up then? Thanks much..

I would investigate Wi-Fi web cameras. You would need a Wi-Fi Access point
and Wi-Fi card in your computer.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0DTI/is_1_32/ai_112166734

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

I should of added I use dial-up ISP connection, I'm not sure Wi Fi can
work with dial up?

Yvonne

>I should of added I use dial-up ISP connection, I'm not sure Wi Fi can
> work with dial up?
>
> Yvonne

I thought the camera was located in your house or where the computer is
located.
Dialup will work with wired Net cams or internet ready self contained.

Here is an example camera. You can view and control this camera over the
internet from around the world. This one is wired not wireless. There are
also Wi-Fi cameras here.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002GS4Z0/qid=1116777833/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-electronics/002-0617948-8504067?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282

This one is standalone.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001NZXVM/qid=1116778143/sr=52-9/ref=sr_52_9_etk-software/002-0617948-8504067?v=glance&s=software&n=229534

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Well yes, the camera would be somewhere in my house, just not in the
same room with the laptop- different floor maybe. I mentioned dial up
because the LinkSyst. models don't work with it, as stated on their
site.. while checking Wi Fi cams. How about the Axis models, any
different? TIA,

Yvonne

> Well yes, the camera would be somewhere in my house, just not in the
> same room with the laptop- different floor maybe. I mentioned dial up
> because the LinkSyst. models don't work with it, as stated on their
> site.. while checking Wi Fi cams. How about the Axis models, any
> different? TIA,
>
> Yvonne

WiFi should work in most rooms of the average house. You do have to have a
WiFi network setup in your house. http://wifi.aximsite.com/wifi_net.html or
http://www.wi-fi.org/OpenSection/why_Wi-Fi.asp

I suggest you do the research.
Search Google for "network cameras" and "WiFi network cameras" without
quotes.

Read the Manufacturers specs.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

angelsbridge@webtv.net wrote:
> Well yes, the camera would be somewhere in my house, just not in the
> same room with the laptop- different floor maybe. I mentioned dial up
> because the LinkSyst. models don't work with it, as stated on their
> site.. while checking Wi Fi cams. How about the Axis models, any
> different? TIA,

Wi-Fi and dialup are not mutually exclusive, as long as they are used
for different things. You can connect your computer to the Internet via
dialup and connect your computer to a home LAN (wired or wireless)
simultaneously; what you can't do with most wireless routers or access
points is connect them directly to the dialup connection so that other
devices can access the Internet without going through your computer.

For the kind of in-home surveillance you describe, the easiest and least
conspicuous setup is a webcam using Wi-Fi networking to send its image
to your laptop. Next best IMHO would be to use a USB webcam and a long
cable, provided the camera is just around the corner from the computer's
location.

Unless you have a wired network already installed, either you will have
to run wiring through walls (and either through the attic or beneath the
floor) -- which can be messy as well as laborious -- or you will need to
run exposed cable along walls and through doorways. Going around walls
is unsightly, presents a tripping hazard, and requires much more cable
than taking a more direct concealed path. Depending on how long a cable
run you need, you may end up spending nearly as much installing a wired
network as you would on a wireless one; if you hire someone do to the
installation you will almost certainly spend more on a wired network.

You might also consider one of those "X-10" system cameras that are
advertised in spam and pop-up ads. But I wouldn't use one for the
simple reason that they *are* advertised through spam and pop-up
advertising.

--
Walter Luffman Medina, TN USA
Amateur curmudgeon, equal opportunity annoyer

Because I'm dense, what is the difference between a "web cam" and a
surveilance camera? Thanks,

How it is used.

"John P Bengi" <JBengi(spaam)@(spaam)yahoo,com> wrote in message
> How it is used.

And how much it costs. A surveillance camera sometimes has a motor to move
the camera to cover the area, Web cams do not.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com