Waking a sleeping computer from remote desktop

Is it possible to wake a computer in standby using remote desktop?
6 answers Last reply
More about waking sleeping computer remote desktop

    If the network drivers are properly written to handle the power management
    issues, and if the settings are correct, I think this ought to work.

    In practice, I've never been able to do it, and make it a practice to
    disable standby on machines I wish to work with remotely.

    I can, though, turn on machines via Wake-on-lan from the off (or, perhaps,
    hibernated) state in many situations. I haven't attempted to do this with a
    single machine connected to a router, however. I believe it is possible,
    though.

    "JMAELLIS" <JMAELLIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to wake a computer in standby using remote desktop?

    Yes it is possible

    --
    The Best IT Community Portal!
    www.helpline4it.com
    "JMAELLIS" <JMAELLIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to wake a computer in standby using remote desktop?

    As the other comments say in theory it should work, if your remote computer
    supports wake up on Lan... But the hibernation function does not work equally
    well on all hardware. If it disables the network adapter on the remote
    machine, it will not work. I advise that you check with the hardware vendor
    of the remote machine.

    Best regards

    "JMAELLIS" wrote:

    > Is it possible to wake a computer in standby using remote desktop?

    It 'should' be possible, but it doesn't work. The sleeping computer wakes up,
    and one is able to ping and see shared directories, but the remote desktop
    connection fails. Even worse than that, after this the remote desktop host
    won't wake up it's display unless it is rebooted.
    I have tried this with a few WindowsXP SP2 PC's and they all do the same.

    "Microsoft" wrote:

    > Yes it is possible
    >
    > --
    > The Best IT Community Portal!
    > www.helpline4it.com
    > "JMAELLIS" <JMAELLIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Is it possible to wake a computer in standby using remote desktop?

    I noted your answer "Yes it is possible". Were you going to explain how it is
    possible?

    "Microsoft" wrote:

    > Yes it is possible
    >
    > --
    > The Best IT Community Portal!
    > www.helpline4it.com
    > "JMAELLIS" <JMAELLIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Is it possible to wake a computer in standby using remote desktop?

Remote Desktop Computers Microsoft Windows XP