Finding the Local Computer Policy in the Registry!

October 13, 2004 11:11:48 AM

I am managing a computer network with about 60 machines running XP Pro. I am currently using a login.bat file from our server. I am looking to edit each machine's Local Policy using the registry. I need to edit the Policy (Local Computer Policy\\Computer Configuration\\Administrative Templates\\System\\Remote Assistance) and change the Offer Remote Assistance Properties to Enabled and add users to that list. Does anyone know where I might find the entries in the registry? I think I might be able to figure out how to edit it using my batch file as I already am editing it to Turn Remote Desktop On and Remote Assistance On but I just need to know where this is at in the registry! Thanks in Advance for any given!

Joshua Miller
IT / IS Administrator
Greenville National Bank
(937) 548 – 1114 x4250
joshua@greenvillenationalbank.com
http://www.greenvillenationalbank.com
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 2:13:14 PM

Did you see the answer to your very same question from last week?

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&fram...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Joshua Miller" <joshua@greenvillenationalbank.com> wrote in message
> I am managing a computer network with about 60 machines running XP Pro. I am currently using a
> login.bat file from our server. I am looking to edit each machine's Local Policy using the
> registry. I need to edit the Policy (Local Computer Policy\\Computer Configuration\\Administrative
> Templates\\System\\Remote Assistance) and change the Offer Remote Assistance Properties to Enabled
> and add users to that list. Does anyone know where I might find the entries in the registry? I
> think I might be able to figure out how to edit it using my batch file as I already am editing it
> to Turn Remote Desktop On and Remote Assistance On but I just need to know where this is at in the
> registry! Thanks in Advance for any given!
>
> Joshua Miller
> IT / IS Administrator
> Greenville National Bank
> (937) 548 – 1114 x4250
> joshua@greenvillenationalbank.com
> http://www.greenvillenationalbank.com

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 3:40:53 PM

That solution doesn't work when using a Windows 2000 Server. It doesn't know what Remote Desktop is! I would like registry entries! Thanks!

Joshua L. Miller

IT Administrator

nntp://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely/<#2PjqcTsEHA.3604@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>

Did you see the answer to your very same question from last week?

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&fram...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Joshua Miller" <joshua@greenvillenationalbank.com> wrote in message
> I am managing a computer network with about 60 machines running XP Pro. I am currently using a
> login.bat file from our server. I am looking to edit each machine's Local Policy using the
> registry. I need to edit the Policy (Local Computer Policy\\\\\\\\Computer Configuration\\\\\\\\Administrative
> Templates\\\\\\\\System\\\\\\\\Remote Assistance) and change the Offer Remote Assistance Properties to Enabled
> and add users to that list. Does anyone know where I might find the entries in the registry? I
> think I might be able to figure out how to edit it using my batch file as I already am editing it
> to Turn Remote Desktop On and Remote Assistance On but I just need to know where this is at in the
> registry! Thanks in Advance for any given!
>
> Joshua Miller
> IT / IS Administrator
> Greenville National Bank
> (937) 548 – 1114 x4250
> joshua@greenvillenationalbank.com
> http://www.greenvillenationalbank.com

[microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely]
October 13, 2004 6:20:08 PM

I see you found the Windows Registry Guide site...

http://www.winguides.com/registry/

....from your post in the user forums...

http://www.winguides.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board...

Hopefully you can get an answer there or from someone more knowledgeable than I am on this issue...

Good luck...

--

news:o qfQsQVsEHA.3604@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> That solution doesn't work when using a Windows 2000 Server. It doesn't know what Remote Desktop
> is! I would like registry entries! Thanks!
>

> Joshua L. Miller
>
> IT Administrator
>
> Greenville National Bank
>
> (937) 548 - 1114 x 4250
>
> joshua@greenvillenationalbank.com
>
> www.greenvillenationalbank.com
>

> nntp://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely/<#2PjqcTsEHA.3604@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>
>
> Did you see the answer to your very same question from last week?
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&fram...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Joshua Miller" <joshua@greenvillenationalbank.com> wrote in message
> > I am managing a computer network with about 60 machines running XP Pro. I am currently using a
> > login.bat file from our server. I am looking to edit each machine's Local Policy using the
> > registry. I need to edit the Policy (Local Computer Policy\\\\\\\\Computer
> > Configuration\\\\\\\\Administrative
> > Templates\\\\\\\\System\\\\\\\\Remote Assistance) and change the Offer Remote Assistance
> > Properties to Enabled
> > and add users to that list. Does anyone know where I might find the entries in the registry? I
> > think I might be able to figure out how to edit it using my batch file as I already am editing
> > it
> > to Turn Remote Desktop On and Remote Assistance On but I just need to know where this is at in
> > the
> > registry! Thanks in Advance for any given!
> >
> > Joshua Miller
> > IT / IS Administrator
> > Greenville National Bank
> > (937) 548 – 1114 x4250
> > joshua@greenvillenationalbank.com
> > http://www.greenvillenationalbank.com
> >

> [microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely]

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 10:51:04 PM

Have you seen this page?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Joshua Miller" <joshua@greenvillenationalbank.com> wrote in message
news:o qfQsQVsEHA.3604@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> That solution doesn't work when using a Windows 2000 Server. It doesn't know what Remote Desktop
> is! I would like registry entries! Thanks!
>

> Joshua L. Miller
>
> IT Administrator
>
> Greenville National Bank
>
> (937) 548 - 1114 x 4250
>
> joshua@greenvillenationalbank.com
>
> www.greenvillenationalbank.com
>

> nntp://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely/<#2PjqcTsEHA.3604@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>
>
> Did you see the answer to your very same question from last week?
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&fram...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Joshua Miller" <joshua@greenvillenationalbank.com> wrote in message
> > I am managing a computer network with about 60 machines running XP Pro. I am currently using a
> > login.bat file from our server. I am looking to edit each machine's Local Policy using the
> > registry. I need to edit the Policy (Local Computer Policy\\\\\\\\Computer
> > Configuration\\\\\\\\Administrative
> > Templates\\\\\\\\System\\\\\\\\Remote Assistance) and change the Offer Remote Assistance
> > Properties to Enabled
> > and add users to that list. Does anyone know where I might find the entries in the registry? I
> > think I might be able to figure out how to edit it using my batch file as I already am editing
> > it
> > to Turn Remote Desktop On and Remote Assistance On but I just need to know where this is at in
> > the
> > registry! Thanks in Advance for any given!
> >
> > Joshua Miller
> > IT / IS Administrator
> > Greenville National Bank
> > (937) 548 – 1114 x4250
> > joshua@greenvillenationalbank.com
> > http://www.greenvillenationalbank.com
> >

> [microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely]

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 10:59:52 PM

Additionally look at these pages...as always YMMV...

> Have you seen this page?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...

> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

October 13, 2004 11:09:09 PM

Those work, ie. if I enable both Offer and Solicited gp's on my XP Pro SP2 box the resulting
registry entries are created. Likewise if I disable both the Offer and Solicited gp's the registry
entries are deleted...

--

> Additionally look at these pages...as always YMMV...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
>

> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> Have you seen this page?
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

October 14, 2004 9:45:34 AM

....and the HKLM\Software\policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services\RAUnsolicit path for
users...