Import DVD content into Studio 9

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I received a DVD with a family movie. I now want to import it into
Studio 9 and do some more editing before I burn a new DVD of the
modified content.
How do I do that?

Tom wrote:
> I received a DVD with a family movie. I now want to import it into
> Studio 9 and do some more editing before I burn a new DVD of the
> modified content.
> How do I do that?

Hi Tom.

I am just a newbie to all this, but in the last couple of weeks I have
learned a lot and this I will share with you.

To get the content of your DVD onto your computer you need a 'ripper'
program.
There are many such out in cyberspace, but the one that I liked best so
far is called SmartRipper. It has a nice feature, where you can save
each 'chapter' in a file by itself.

SmartRipper saves the files onto your harddisk as "*.vob" files.
Vob (Video OBject) files are the same as Mpeg-files (as far as I have
understood. Please correct me if I am wrong).
The vob or mpg files are multiplexed files with several streams in
them: video, audio etc.
Anyway, since I need mpg file for Studio9 I simply rename all .vob to
..mpg with a freeware utility called BatchRenamer.

Now you should be able to fire up Studio and load the files.

In my case I ran into trouble here: my DVD's audio was in AC3 format,
and Studio-9 didn't like that! Neither did Ulead (trial) and several
others.
So what I had to do, was to convert (or 'transcode') all my mpg files,
so that the audio was changed from AC3 to mp2. I did that with a
program called Xilisoft Video Converter.

Both the ripping and the audio transcoding takes some time!

That is what I am doing and it works.
Good luck - there can be many challenges when working with these things
;-)

Also take a look here: www.videohelp.com

/Thomas, denmark