Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Saving files from Client Location to Remote Desktop

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 14, 2004 12:09:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I work with a laptop from home and want to back up my files to a remote
desktop. Using remote desktop connection, I can access the remote PC but
cannot transfer files from the local c: drive of the laptop (client pc) to
the remote desktop PC. Connection is made through a DSL with an IP address
for the remote PC.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 14, 2004 7:28:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

GatorAlan wrote:
> I work with a laptop from home and want to back up my files to a
> remote desktop. Using remote desktop connection, I can access the
> remote PC but cannot transfer files from the local c: drive of the
> laptop (client pc) to the remote desktop PC. Connection is made
> through a DSL with an IP address for the remote PC.


Are you saying that even after following the instructions/advice below, you
cannot copy because you receive some error?

To make local disk drives available in a session:
- In the Remote Desktop Connection window, click Options.
- On the Local Resources tab, Under Local devices, click Disk drives.
- Click Connect.

Notes

* To open Remote Desktop Connection, click Start, point to Programs or All
Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click
Remote Desktop Connection.
* Depending on the policies of your network, local drive mapping might be
disabled for some or all remote connections.
* You might see a Remote Desktop Connection Security Warning, which asks
whether you want to connect your local disk drives or smart card to the
remote computer. To enable one or both of these connections, check the
appropriate check box. If you choose not to enable these connections, a
Remote Desktop Connection is still established, but the information on these
local drives is not available to the remote computer.
* When you click Connect, the information you enter in Options becomes the
default setting for all Remote Desktop connections and is saved in a file
called Default.rdp.

--
<- Shenan ->
--
The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
getting into before you jump in with both feet.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 15, 2004 12:51:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

This worked fine. I had not check the local drive option on the connection
screen. Thanks.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> GatorAlan wrote:
> > I work with a laptop from home and want to back up my files to a
> > remote desktop. Using remote desktop connection, I can access the
> > remote PC but cannot transfer files from the local c: drive of the
> > laptop (client pc) to the remote desktop PC. Connection is made
> > through a DSL with an IP address for the remote PC.
>
>
> Are you saying that even after following the instructions/advice below, you
> cannot copy because you receive some error?
>
> To make local disk drives available in a session:
> - In the Remote Desktop Connection window, click Options.
> - On the Local Resources tab, Under Local devices, click Disk drives.
> - Click Connect.
>
> Notes
>
> * To open Remote Desktop Connection, click Start, point to Programs or All
> Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click
> Remote Desktop Connection.
> * Depending on the policies of your network, local drive mapping might be
> disabled for some or all remote connections.
> * You might see a Remote Desktop Connection Security Warning, which asks
> whether you want to connect your local disk drives or smart card to the
> remote computer. To enable one or both of these connections, check the
> appropriate check box. If you choose not to enable these connections, a
> Remote Desktop Connection is still established, but the information on these
> local drives is not available to the remote computer.
> * When you click Connect, the information you enter in Options becomes the
> default setting for all Remote Desktop connections and is saved in a file
> called Default.rdp.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->
> --
> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
> getting into before you jump in with both feet.
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 12, 2005 8:16:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hello, I'm having a problem wherein I cannot automatically see my local C
drive in the remote desktop computer's My Computer. The wierd thing is I can
see the local D drive (CD drive) and any flash drives. I have a workaround, I
can map it and it'll work but I have another laptop that I use to connect and
it works just fine.By the way I have the local drives option selected so they
should be displayed. Thanks for any help or suggestions!


"GatorAlan" wrote:

> This worked fine. I had not check the local drive option on the connection
> screen. Thanks.
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
> > GatorAlan wrote:
> > > I work with a laptop from home and want to back up my files to a
> > > remote desktop. Using remote desktop connection, I can access the
> > > remote PC but cannot transfer files from the local c: drive of the
> > > laptop (client pc) to the remote desktop PC. Connection is made
> > > through a DSL with an IP address for the remote PC.
> >
> >
> > Are you saying that even after following the instructions/advice below, you
> > cannot copy because you receive some error?
> >
> > To make local disk drives available in a session:
> > - In the Remote Desktop Connection window, click Options.
> > - On the Local Resources tab, Under Local devices, click Disk drives.
> > - Click Connect.
> >
> > Notes
> >
> > * To open Remote Desktop Connection, click Start, point to Programs or All
> > Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click
> > Remote Desktop Connection.
> > * Depending on the policies of your network, local drive mapping might be
> > disabled for some or all remote connections.
> > * You might see a Remote Desktop Connection Security Warning, which asks
> > whether you want to connect your local disk drives or smart card to the
> > remote computer. To enable one or both of these connections, check the
> > appropriate check box. If you choose not to enable these connections, a
> > Remote Desktop Connection is still established, but the information on these
> > local drives is not available to the remote computer.
> > * When you click Connect, the information you enter in Options becomes the
> > default setting for all Remote Desktop connections and is saved in a file
> > called Default.rdp.
> >
> > --
> > <- Shenan ->
> > --
> > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
> > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
> > responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
> > getting into before you jump in with both feet.
> >
> >
> >
!