Adobe Premiere won't open files captured with Pinnacle Stu..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 2, 2005 11:56:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Captured a bunch of analog video with Pinnacle Studio 8 and thought I'd try
Adobe Premiere 5.1 to edit them with. Keep getting an "unable to open
unsupported format" message.

What does this message mean, and is there any way to get Premiere to open
these files?

Using Windows XP, Compaq PIII 933mhz, 384 megs ram, Pinnacle DC10-Plus card,
video captured onto 120 gig 7200 rpm Maxtor drive formatted NTFS, Pinnacle
Studio 8.12.7, captured at 6000 kbps, 29.97 fps, both frames, full
resolution, audio 48khz captured through Audigy 2 soundcard.

Thanks for any assistance.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:48:26 PM

Doc wrote:
> Captured a bunch of analog video with Pinnacle Studio 8 and thought I'd try
> Adobe Premiere 5.1 to edit them with. Keep getting an "unable to open
> unsupported format" message.
>
> What does this message mean, and is there any way to get Premiere to open
> these files?
>
> Using Windows XP, Compaq PIII 933mhz, 384 megs ram, Pinnacle DC10-Plus card,

You need to install a software MJPEG codec.

--
-WD
January 3, 2005 12:11:31 AM

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Doc wrote:
> > Captured a bunch of analog video with Pinnacle Studio 8 and thought I'd
try
> > Adobe Premiere 5.1 to edit them with. Keep getting an "unable to open
> > unsupported format" message.
> >
> > What does this message mean, and is there any way to get Premiere to
open
> > these files?
> >
> > Using Windows XP, Compaq PIII 933mhz, 384 megs ram, Pinnacle DC10-Plus
card,

> You need to install a software MJPEG codec.

Where can I download such a codec? Doesn't this come with Studio or the
DC10+ card?
January 3, 2005 3:33:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Just courious why you would want to do this. Pinnacle uses its codec
and I am sure you could probably convert to a codec file that Premiere
would reconize. 5.1 is fairly old and may also have some compatibilty
problems. Anyone please offer some suggestions.

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 08:56:30 GMT, "Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.com>
wrote:

>Captured a bunch of analog video with Pinnacle Studio 8 and thought I'd try
>Adobe Premiere 5.1 to edit them with. Keep getting an "unable to open
>unsupported format" message.
>
>What does this message mean, and is there any way to get Premiere to open
>these files?
>
>Using Windows XP, Compaq PIII 933mhz, 384 megs ram, Pinnacle DC10-Plus card,
>video captured onto 120 gig 7200 rpm Maxtor drive formatted NTFS, Pinnacle
>Studio 8.12.7, captured at 6000 kbps, 29.97 fps, both frames, full
>resolution, audio 48khz captured through Audigy 2 soundcard.
>
>Thanks for any assistance.

January 3, 2005 5:28:29 AM

"Donald Link" <linkd@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Just courious why you would want to do this. Pinnacle uses its codec
> and I am sure you could probably convert to a codec file that Premiere
> would reconize. 5.1 is fairly old and may also have some compatibilty
> problems. Anyone please offer some suggestions.

A couple of reasons. One is because Pinnacle seems to have some serious
issues but is useful for capturing. Long story, many wrestling matches with
this program as I find is the norm. The other reason is I'd just like to try
Premiere as I recently got an eBay copy for not very much. I found it opened
video fine that I have on a Win98SE machine but seem to have problems with
video that was captured on an XP machine. Not sure what the difference is.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 5:28:30 AM

Doc wrote:

> A couple of reasons. One is because Pinnacle seems to have some serious
> issues but is useful for capturing.

That's about all Pinnacle Studio is good for! :)

> I found it opened
> video fine that I have on a Win98SE machine but seem to have problems with
> video that was captured on an XP machine. Not sure what the difference is.

On a Win9x machine, I believe VfW MJPEG codecs are provided. But with
Win2k on, the drivers are directshow-only. If you want legacy software
support, you need to install a VfW MJPEG codec.

--
-WD
January 3, 2005 1:12:51 PM

Will Dormann wrote:
> Doc wrote:
>
>> A couple of reasons. One is because Pinnacle seems to have some
>> serious issues but is useful for capturing.
>
> That's about all Pinnacle Studio is good for! :)
>

>> I found it opened
>> video fine that I have on a Win98SE machine but seem to have
>> problems with video that was captured on an XP machine. Not sure
>> what the difference is.
>
> On a Win9x machine, I believe VfW MJPEG codecs are provided. But
> with Win2k on, the drivers are directshow-only. If you want legacy
> software support, you need to install a VfW MJPEG codec.

He said he was having problems with Premiere not Pinnacle. I have no
problems with Pinnacle as I have the latest version that works fine and I
have it configured right. Premiere is more trouble to work then Pinnacle.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 1:28:21 PM

Doc wrote:
> Captured a bunch of analog video with Pinnacle Studio 8 and thought
> I'd try Adobe Premiere 5.1 to edit them with. Keep getting an "unable
> to open unsupported format" message.
>
> What does this message mean, and is there any way to get Premiere to
> open these files?
>
> Using Windows XP, Compaq PIII 933mhz, 384 megs ram, Pinnacle
> DC10-Plus card, video captured onto 120 gig 7200 rpm Maxtor drive
> formatted NTFS, Pinnacle Studio 8.12.7, captured at 6000 kbps, 29.97
> fps, both frames, full resolution, audio 48khz captured through
> Audigy 2 soundcard.
>
> Thanks for any assistance.

What format did you capture them as and what do you want to do with the
final movie? Do you want to output for DVD or SVCD or MPEG? Once the
captured file is in Pinnacle you can output it to AVI then Premiere will
open it. You may have to import this video file but you have to give more
detail. I would stick with Pinnacle unless you are having difficulties then
post them here.

J.
January 3, 2005 2:33:12 PM

"JimmyCliff" <JimmyCliff@exmaps.com> wrote in message

> What format did you capture them as

Does Pinnacle Studio make an initial capture as anything other than avi? If
so, I don't see any option for it.
January 3, 2005 11:27:54 PM

Doc wrote:
> "JimmyCliff" <JimmyCliff@exmaps.com> wrote in message
>
>> What format did you capture them as
>
> Does Pinnacle Studio make an initial capture as anything other than
> avi? If so, I don't see any option for it.

You can capture to AVI or MPEG and custom settings for both.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 11:27:55 PM

Jimmy wrote:
> Doc wrote:
>
>>Does Pinnacle Studio make an initial capture as anything other than
>>avi? If so, I don't see any option for it.
>

> You can capture to AVI or MPEG and custom settings for both.

Hm, I thought that with a DC10+ it was MJPEG AVI or nothing.
It's been a while since I used mine, though...

--
-WD
January 4, 2005 1:12:56 AM

"Jimmy" <jimmycliff@spamex.com> wrote in message

> Most users feel they should be able to
> just install and off they go trying to make DVDs from every old VHS tape
> they find around the house. If it doesn't work then come the complaints.

That hardly encompasses the wide variety of complaints that people have
about Pinnacle Studio, in particular version 8 and 9. Again, take a look at
the Pinnacle user forums - people with the latest, beefiest computers, all
the patches and updates, doing digital capture have seemingly incurable
problems as well as people doing analog capture.

Another issue is their tech support which is utterly useless.

Even a former Pinnacle programmer has told me their software is garbage and
their business structure is terrible, which matches up with the experience
of myself and many others.
January 4, 2005 1:13:36 AM

> avi? If so, I don't see any option for it.
>
> You can capture to AVI or MPEG and custom settings for both.

Where are these settings in Studio 8?
January 4, 2005 1:57:44 AM

Doc wrote:
> "Jimmy" <jimmycliff@spamex.com> wrote in message
>> avi? If so, I don't see any option for it.
>>
>> You can capture to AVI or MPEG and custom settings for both.
>
> Where are these settings in Studio 8?

Capture/Settings/Capture format/(presets)AVI or MPEG/(next to the right is
quality)Custom(will now allow various settings like Indoe Video 5.10)

Got it yet?
January 4, 2005 3:55:32 AM

Will Dormann wrote:
> Jimmy wrote:
>> Doc wrote:
>>
>>> Does Pinnacle Studio make an initial capture as anything other than
>>> avi? If so, I don't see any option for it.
>>

>> You can capture to AVI or MPEG and custom settings for both.
>
> Hm, I thought that with a DC10+ it was MJPEG AVI or nothing.
> It's been a while since I used mine, though...

Maybe you are right and it then depends on the capture hardware. I am using
the AIT AIW 7500 card so maybe this is the underlying factor. This then
could be many of the difficulties that others are having. Hardware and not
Pinnacle software which make sence to me.

J.
January 4, 2005 4:02:54 AM

Doc wrote:
> "Jimmy" <jimmycliff@spamex.com> wrote in message
>
>> Most users feel they should be able to
>> just install and off they go trying to make DVDs from every old VHS
>> tape they find around the house. If it doesn't work then come the
>> complaints.
>
> That hardly encompasses the wide variety of complaints that people
> have about Pinnacle Studio, in particular version 8 and 9. Again,
> take a look at the Pinnacle user forums - people with the latest,
> beefiest computers, all the patches and updates, doing digital
> capture have seemingly incurable problems as well as people doing
> analog capture.

I agree with you on this point but my point is that it can and does work
and has to be a configuration issue. The exact same software with the exact
same hardware configuration along with the same installation of various
other applications that may or may not conflict has to work the same on
different machines. Correct?

> Another issue is their tech support which is utterly useless.

I am not a fan of any company regarding tech support. Many great and
successful companies have poor support.

> Even a former Pinnacle programmer has told me their software is
> garbage and their business structure is terrible, which matches up
> with the experience of myself and many others.

I am not saying there are no problems. From where I sit all is well as with
others that have no issues. I just don't see a happy user stating this more
than once and the unhappy ones will most likely out number the other with
many more posts making it seem like there are far more than there really
are. Then there are the ones that don't even own the SW and repeat the
troubles of the ones they read about. I know I have read MANY post from the
ones that 'HEARD' about the problems.

J.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 7:37:17 PM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 11:33:12 GMT, "Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.com>
wrote:

>Does Pinnacle Studio make an initial capture as anything other than avi? If
>so, I don't see any option for it.

if it's with a DC-10, then it only captures MJpeg Avis. With an
All-In-Wonder it captures mpeg as well. Mjpegs coming from DC-10
should open easily in Premiere as long as the system has an Mjpeg
decoder. There are Mjpeg codecs from MainConecpt, PicVideo, Morgan...
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:52:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Is the Pinnacle card on the same machine that Premiere is? And does it
support P 5.1? you need it's codec to use the footage you captured and
something is blocking that info from Premiere or your System in general.
Mike

!