Shared Remote Desktop client embedded in a Windows applica..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

[Followup to microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp]

Hi,

I have developped a Windows applcation (in C#) that allows, among other
things, users to view and control the desktop of a remote Windows XP Pro
machine. I have actually simply embedded the Remote Desktop ActiveX control
in my C# app and this works fine.

However i have now a new requirement for my app: multiple users have to be
able to view and control the same remote desktop simultaneously using my
application. Big problem: Remote Desktop doesn't allow to share a remote
desktop among several users :-( When the second users starts my app, the
first one is kicked out.
I am therefore now looking for alternative ways to provide this remote
desktop feature in my C# application. Here is what i came up with:

1) Hack XP Remote Desktop to allow multiple viewers. From the results of my
search on the Web, this seems to be impossible. Or at least, nobody has
attempted that before.
2) Get rid of XP Remote Desktop and use VNC instead (i have found VNC viewer
ActiveX controls on the Web). Problem here is that there may be a license
problem if my app someday goes commercial. VNC is also generally much slower
than XP Remote Desktop.
3) Use a third party Remote Desktop tool. Problem: third party companies
generally charge way too much for their tools and often don't provide any
way to embed their client component in a Windows application.
4) Create my own Remote desktop tool. This would be a huge work to have
something fast and secure enough. I don't really have time to do that.

I would appreciate if you could comment these solutions or point me to
alternative ones. I am realy stuck here and i don't know how i am going to
solve this problem.

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about shared remote desktop client embedded windows applica
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp (More info?)

    This may be an obscure idea, but would it be possible to create a "server"
    style remote desktop connection , and then have your clients interfacing with
    that? For instance, when a client first opens a connection, the command gets
    sent to the intermediary app, which opens the connection and then sends
    images back to the client. Then, when a second client attempts to open the
    same remote desktop, it passes its call to the intermediary, which then
    aligns itself to accept data from both applications, and handles the code to
    interperet the competing actions itself.

    I must admit that I am not too familiar with the remote desktop control, so
    I could just be pointlessly dreaming here. Out of the options you presented,
    the third option, while potentially non-viable due to support issues and the
    cost that you mentioned, may prove the quickest method of solving the
    problem. Aside from that, I'd reccommend using VNC while you develop/hack a
    remote desktop control. That way, if nothing else you have a backup that
    works.

    HTH,

    Matt Billock

    "Elp" wrote:

    > [Followup to microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp]
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have developped a Windows applcation (in C#) that allows, among other
    > things, users to view and control the desktop of a remote Windows XP Pro
    > machine. I have actually simply embedded the Remote Desktop ActiveX control
    > in my C# app and this works fine.
    >
    > However i have now a new requirement for my app: multiple users have to be
    > able to view and control the same remote desktop simultaneously using my
    > application. Big problem: Remote Desktop doesn't allow to share a remote
    > desktop among several users :-( When the second users starts my app, the
    > first one is kicked out.
    > I am therefore now looking for alternative ways to provide this remote
    > desktop feature in my C# application. Here is what i came up with:
    >
    > 1) Hack XP Remote Desktop to allow multiple viewers. From the results of my
    > search on the Web, this seems to be impossible. Or at least, nobody has
    > attempted that before.
    > 2) Get rid of XP Remote Desktop and use VNC instead (i have found VNC viewer
    > ActiveX controls on the Web). Problem here is that there may be a license
    > problem if my app someday goes commercial. VNC is also generally much slower
    > than XP Remote Desktop.
    > 3) Use a third party Remote Desktop tool. Problem: third party companies
    > generally charge way too much for their tools and often don't provide any
    > way to embed their client component in a Windows application.
    > 4) Create my own Remote desktop tool. This would be a huge work to have
    > something fast and secure enough. I don't really have time to do that.
    >
    > I would appreciate if you could comment these solutions or point me to
    > alternative ones. I am realy stuck here and i don't know how i am going to
    > solve this problem.
    >
    > Thanks

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp (More info?)

    Citrix MetaFrame ICA allows many-to-one, one-to-many and cross-server
    shadowing. I don't believe anyone has these features working with RDP.
    Tarantella has tweaked RDP as much as anyone, but from their product
    features, I don't see this listed, but maybe the documentation states
    otherwise:

    http://www.tarantella.com/products/tse/features.html

    Patrick Rouse
    Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server