Local Policy .. Does Not Permit You to Log on Interactively

Local Policy .. Does Not Permit You to Log on Interactively

I am trying to learn to set up Remote Desktop. I can connect but I get
rejected at the login with this error message:

"The Local Policy of This System Does Not Permit You to Log on
Interactively"

According to MS KB 276590, this problem is caused by my being a member of a
group that is denied local logon access. But in checking my user rights, I
am a member of only two groups: Administrators and Remote Desktop Users.

Clearly, Administrators have local logon access. I assume that I have to
add myself to the Remote Desktop Users, to get access rights through Remote
Desktop.

What did I do wrong?

Somehow, I don't think this KB article explains my problem because I created
a new user, and assigned him as a member of only one group, Remote Desktop
Users. I still can't login under his name.

The KB article's solution is to run a program called ntrights.exe available
from the Win2K Resource Kit. I am running WinXP Professional on both the
host and the client. Is this an appropriate fix for me? How do I get
either the Win2K Resource Kit or a copy of ntrights.exe

Tony Lin

Fremont, CA
7 answers Last reply
More about local policy permit interactively

    See if this old thread reply help...

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&frame=right&th=8c9c4f6a5fdeb1a5&seekm=021101c34b10%2433e40f90%24a601280a%40phx.gbl#link4

    "TLin2100" wrote:

    > Local Policy .. Does Not Permit You to Log on Interactively
    >
    > I am trying to learn to set up Remote Desktop. I can connect but I get
    > rejected at the login with this error message:
    >

    > "The Local Policy of This System Does Not Permit You to Log on
    > Interactively"
    >

    > According to MS KB 276590, this problem is caused by my being a member of a
    > group that is denied local logon access. But in checking my user rights, I
    > am a member of only two groups: Administrators and Remote Desktop Users.
    >

    > Clearly, Administrators have local logon access. I assume that I have to
    > add myself to the Remote Desktop Users, to get access rights through Remote
    > Desktop.
    >

    > What did I do wrong?
    >

    > Somehow, I don't think this KB article explains my problem because I created
    > a new user, and assigned him as a member of only one group, Remote Desktop
    > Users. I still can't login under his name.
    >

    > The KB article's solution is to run a program called ntrights.exe available
    > from the Win2K Resource Kit. I am running WinXP Professional on both the
    > host and the client. Is this an appropriate fix for me? How do I get
    > either the Win2K Resource Kit or a copy of ntrights.exe
    >

    > Tony Lin
    >
    > Fremont, CA

    SoonerAl,

    Thanks. It was a long winded post but it gave me the clue to what I was
    doing wrong.

    The key concept was the need to add myself and other remote users to "Allow
    logon through Terminal Services" in the Local Security Policies program
    under Admin Tools.

    Thanks again.

    Tony Lin
    Fremont, CA

    > See if this old thread reply help...
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&frame=right&th=8c9c4f6a5fdeb1a5&seekm=021101c34b10%2433e40f90%24a601280a%40phx.gbl#link4
    >
    > "TLin2100" wrote:
    >
    >> Local Policy .. Does Not Permit You to Log on Interactively
    >>
    >> I am trying to learn to set up Remote Desktop. I can connect but I get
    >> rejected at the login with this error message:
    >>

    >> "The Local Policy of This System Does Not Permit You to Log on
    >> Interactively"
    >>

    >> According to MS KB 276590, this problem is caused by my being a member of
    >> group that is denied local logon access. But in checking my user rights,
    >> am a member of only two groups: Administrators and Remote Desktop Users.
    >>

    >> Clearly, Administrators have local logon access. I assume that I have to
    >> add myself to the Remote Desktop Users, to get access rights through
    >> Remote
    >> Desktop.
    >>

    >> What did I do wrong?
    >>

    >> Somehow, I don't think this KB article explains my problem because I
    >> created
    >> a new user, and assigned him as a member of only one group, Remote
    >> Desktop
    >> Users. I still can't login under his name.
    >>

    >> The KB article's solution is to run a program called ntrights.exe
    >> available
    >> from the Win2K Resource Kit. I am running WinXP Professional on both the
    >> host and the client. Is this an appropriate fix for me? How do I get
    >> either the Win2K Resource Kit or a copy of ntrights.exe
    >>

    >> Tony Lin
    >>
    >> Fremont, CA

    Did you do an upgrade from Windows 2000 by chance? This is the
    typical cause of this problem.
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows Network Technology Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    Windows Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:44:54 -0700, "TLin2100" <Tony@LinFamily.org>
    wrote:

    >SoonerAl,
    >
    >Thanks. It was a long winded post but it gave me the clue to what I was
    >doing wrong.
    >
    >The key concept was the need to add myself and other remote users to "Allow
    >logon through Terminal Services" in the Local Security Policies program
    >under Admin Tools.
    >
    >Thanks again.
    >
    >Tony Lin
    >Fremont, CA
    >

    >"Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> See if this old thread reply help...
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&frame=right&th=8c9c4f6a5fdeb1a5&seekm=021101c34b10%2433e40f90%24a601280a%40phx.gbl#link4
    >>
    >> "TLin2100" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Local Policy .. Does Not Permit You to Log on Interactively
    >>>
    >>> I am trying to learn to set up Remote Desktop. I can connect but I get
    >>> rejected at the login with this error message:
    >>>

    >>> "The Local Policy of This System Does Not Permit You to Log on
    >>> Interactively"
    >>>

    >>> According to MS KB 276590, this problem is caused by my being a member of
    >>> group that is denied local logon access. But in checking my user rights,
    >>> am a member of only two groups: Administrators and Remote Desktop Users.
    >>>

    >>> Clearly, Administrators have local logon access. I assume that I have to
    >>> add myself to the Remote Desktop Users, to get access rights through
    >>> Remote
    >>> Desktop.
    >>>

    >>> What did I do wrong?
    >>>

    >>> Somehow, I don't think this KB article explains my problem because I
    >>> created
    >>> a new user, and assigned him as a member of only one group, Remote
    >>> Desktop
    >>> Users. I still can't login under his name.
    >>>

    >>> The KB article's solution is to run a program called ntrights.exe
    >>> available
    >>> from the Win2K Resource Kit. I am running WinXP Professional on both the
    >>> host and the client. Is this an appropriate fix for me? How do I get
    >>> either the Win2K Resource Kit or a copy of ntrights.exe
    >>>

    >>> Tony Lin
    >>>
    >>> Fremont, CA

    Can you tell us whether the machine with this issue happens to be one which
    was upgraded to XP from Windows 2000?

    This isn't needed on most machines, but it seems always to be needed in the
    upgrade instance.

    "TLin2100" <Tony@LinFamily.org> wrote in message

    > SoonerAl,
    >
    > Thanks. It was a long winded post but it gave me the clue to what I was
    > doing wrong.
    >
    > The key concept was the need to add myself and other remote users to
    > "Allow logon through Terminal Services" in the Local Security Policies
    > program under Admin Tools.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Tony Lin
    > Fremont, CA
    >

    > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> See if this old thread reply help...
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&frame=right&th=8c9c4f6a5fdeb1a5&seekm=021101c34b10%2433e40f90%24a601280a%40phx.gbl#link4
    >>
    >> "TLin2100" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Local Policy .. Does Not Permit You to Log on Interactively
    >>>
    >>> I am trying to learn to set up Remote Desktop. I can connect but I get
    >>> rejected at the login with this error message:
    >>>

    >>> "The Local Policy of This System Does Not Permit You to Log on
    >>> Interactively"
    >>>

    >>> According to MS KB 276590, this problem is caused by my being a member
    >>> of a
    >>> group that is denied local logon access. But in checking my user
    >>> rights, I
    >>> am a member of only two groups: Administrators and Remote Desktop Users.
    >>>

    >>> Clearly, Administrators have local logon access. I assume that I have
    >>> add myself to the Remote Desktop Users, to get access rights through
    >>> Remote
    >>> Desktop.
    >>>

    >>> What did I do wrong?
    >>>

    >>> Somehow, I don't think this KB article explains my problem because I
    >>> created
    >>> a new user, and assigned him as a member of only one group, Remote
    >>> Desktop
    >>> Users. I still can't login under his name.
    >>>

    >>> The KB article's solution is to run a program called ntrights.exe
    >>> available
    >>> from the Win2K Resource Kit. I am running WinXP Professional on both
    >>> the
    >>> host and the client. Is this an appropriate fix for me? How do I get
    >>> either the Win2K Resource Kit or a copy of ntrights.exe
    >>>

    >>> Tony Lin
    >>>
    >>> Fremont, CA

    Yes. I just upgraded my system from Win2K. I had to choose between doing a
    clean install or upgrading, and I guess this was one of the gotchas from
    upgrading.

    Tony Lin
    Fremont, CA

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    in message news:f0aum09vql30rf2rh38jlfgpkj5v9dgkj1@4ax.com...
    > Did you do an upgrade from Windows 2000 by chance? This is the
    > typical cause of this problem.
    > ---
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    > Windows Network Technology Community -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    > Windows Home Networking Community -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
    >
    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:44:54 -0700, "TLin2100" <Tony@LinFamily.org>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>SoonerAl,
    >>
    >>Thanks. It was a long winded post but it gave me the clue to what I was
    >>doing wrong.
    >>
    >>The key concept was the need to add myself and other remote users to
    >>"Allow
    >>logon through Terminal Services" in the Local Security Policies program
    >>under Admin Tools.
    >>
    >>Thanks again.
    >>
    >>Tony Lin
    >>Fremont, CA
    >>

    >>"Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> See if this old thread reply help...
    >>>
    >>> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&frame=right&th=8c9c4f6a5fdeb1a5&seekm=021101c34b10%2433e40f90%24a601280a%40phx.gbl#link4

    It is, and one of us ought to get up the gumption to write a KB article
    about it.

    > Yes. I just upgraded my system from Win2K. I had to choose between doing
    > a clean install or upgrading, and I guess this was one of the gotchas from
    > upgrading.
    >
    > Tony Lin
    > Fremont, CA
    >

    > "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
    > wrote in message news:f0aum09vql30rf2rh38jlfgpkj5v9dgkj1@4ax.com...
    >> Did you do an upgrade from Windows 2000 by chance? This is the
    >> typical cause of this problem.
    >> ---
    >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
    >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>
    >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> be answered depending on time availability....
    >>
    >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> Windows Network Technology Community -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    >> Windows Home Networking Community -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
    >>
    >> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:44:54 -0700, "TLin2100" <Tony@LinFamily.org>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>SoonerAl,
    >>>
    >>>Thanks. It was a long winded post but it gave me the clue to what I was
    >>>doing wrong.
    >>>
    >>>The key concept was the need to add myself and other remote users to
    >>>"Allow
    >>>logon through Terminal Services" in the Local Security Policies program
    >>>under Admin Tools.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks again.
    >>>
    >>>Tony Lin
    >>>Fremont, CA
    >>>

    >>>"Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message

    and I need to add it to the FAQ... :)

    There just aren't enough hours in the day.
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows Network Technology Community -