probs with Fuji Finepix 602z

Hi all,
I am asking this on behalf of my son who would rather push the camera into a
drawer and buy a new one, rather than try and get it repaired.

Finepix 602z
Simple problem. When it is turned, on the lens extends and then the camera
turns itself off with lens still extended.

If you turn the dial halfway you can view the pics on the card ( I suppose
this is correct ).
I am asking here just in case it might be a simple problem.

thanks Peter

"grylion" <grylion@btinternet.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>I am asking this on behalf of my son who would rather push the camera into a
>drawer and buy a new one, rather than try and get it repaired.
>
>Finepix 602z
>Simple problem. When it is turned, on the lens extends and then the camera
>turns itself off with lens still extended.
>
>If you turn the dial halfway you can view the pics on the card ( I suppose
>this is correct ).
>I am asking here just in case it might be a simple problem.
>
>thanks Peter

low or almost dead battery - happens to me on my 602z when I forget to
run the rechargeables thru th recharger.

the metal hydride rechargeable batteries will loose their charge
whether used or not - so your son needs to charge them up fully the
day before using the camera. Or use throwaway alkaline batteries.

"grylion" <grylion@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I am asking this on behalf of my son who would rather push the camera into
> drawer and buy a new one, rather than try and get it repaired.
>
> Finepix 602z
> Simple problem. When it is turned, on the lens extends and then the camera
> turns itself off with lens still extended.
>
> If you turn the dial halfway you can view the pics on the card ( I suppose
> this is correct ).
> I am asking here just in case it might be a simple problem.
>
> thanks Peter

critcher said

>in my handbook for e550 says this could happen with a flat battery
and to set to playback mode and turn the camera on again, if the lens still
doesn't retract replace batteries or use ac power adapter

<bounce@email.com> wrote in message
> "grylion" <grylion@btinternet.com> wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >I am asking this on behalf of my son who would rather push the camera
into a
> >drawer and buy a new one, rather than try and get it repaired.
> >
> >Finepix 602z
> >Simple problem. When it is turned, on the lens extends and then the
camera
> >turns itself off with lens still extended.
> >
> >If you turn the dial halfway you can view the pics on the card ( I
suppose
> >this is correct ).
> >I am asking here just in case it might be a simple problem.
> >
> >thanks Peter
> >
> low or almost dead battery - happens to me on my 602z when I forget to
> run the rechargeables thru th recharger.
>
> the metal hydride rechargeable batteries will loose their charge
> whether used or not - so your son needs to charge them up fully the
> day before using the camera. Or use throwaway alkaline batteries.

Hi again,
Regards the problem with my sons camera; he says that he has tried different
battery types, all with the same result, it turns itself off with the lens
extended.
I noticed when turning the camera on with the dial turned to 'SET'
then it stayed turned on.
Any other dial setting and it turned off with the lens still extended.
If it is turned halfway on (to pic preview) and then turned off, it
retracts the lens.

thanks Peter