Win-XP compliant VPN routers: which manufacturer?

I have been suffering from a problem whereby Netgear's VPN routers
cannot
accept client VPN connections from the native WinXP s/w. Various
newsgroup
conversations seem to confirm this as a specific problem with the
Netgear kit (unless you know different?). Netgear sell their own
client software (what a surprise!) to solve the problem.

Anyway, my question is:

Which manufacturers' mainstream small VPN routers will readily accept
connections from the standard VPN client in WinXP?

I am considering lower-cost units from Belkin, LinkSys and the like,
since the deployment is to small offices. With all due respect,
please post concrete experience, rather than "I can't see why not"
type info :-)

Many TIA,
Simon
5 answers Last reply
More about compliant routers manufacturer

    Simon wrote:
    > Anyway, my question is:
    >
    > Which manufacturers' mainstream small VPN routers will readily accept
    > connections from the standard VPN client in WinXP?

    My Belkin wireless router with inbuilt DSL modem seemed to do the trick,
    connecting to 2003 server from xp pro. (There's no option to 'enable'
    this though (i.e. the gre 47 protocol thingy) it just works...).

    HTH,
    Chris

    "Not Me" <Noone.is.home@here.com> wrote in message
    > Simon wrote:
    >> Anyway, my question is:
    >>
    >> Which manufacturers' mainstream small VPN routers will readily accept
    >> connections from the standard VPN client in WinXP?
    >
    > My Belkin wireless router with inbuilt DSL modem seemed to do the trick,
    > connecting to 2003 server from xp pro. (There's no option to 'enable'
    > this though (i.e. the gre 47 protocol thingy) it just works...).

    I think you have misunderstood the original poster's question: he was asking
    about VPN routers as endpoints to Windows VPN clients. Your reply makes it
    clear that you are not using the router as an endpoint: your endpoint was a
    Windows 2003 PC.

    --
    Robin Walker
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    Thanks for the reply Chris, but you're talking about VPN passthrough on the
    router, using a 2003 server as the endpoint.

    I meant which VPN "gateway" (not passthrough) routers readily accept a
    connection from Windows XP VPN client - with the router as the endpoint, not
    a server.

    Simon Shaw wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply Chris, but you're talking about VPN passthrough
    > on the router, using a 2003 server as the endpoint.
    >
    > I meant which VPN "gateway" (not passthrough) routers readily accept a
    > connection from Windows XP VPN client - with the router as the
    > endpoint, not a server.

    I believe Cisco PIX can work this way -

    > "Not Me" <Noone.is.home@here.com> wrote in message
    >> Simon wrote:
    >>> Anyway, my question is:
    >>>
    >>> Which manufacturers' mainstream small VPN routers will readily
    >>> accept connections from the standard VPN client in WinXP?
    >>
    >> My Belkin wireless router with inbuilt DSL modem seemed to do the
    >> trick, connecting to 2003 server from xp pro. (There's no option to
    >> 'enable' this though (i.e. the gre 47 protocol thingy) it just
    >> works...).
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >> Chris

    I use the Linksys WRT54G with the SVEASOFT firmware to act as a
    PPTP-based VPN server...
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows Network Technology Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    Windows Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    On 15 Oct 2004 07:11:32 -0700, simon.shaw@netfare.co.uk (Simon) wrote:

    >I have been suffering from a problem whereby Netgear's VPN routers
    >cannot
    >accept client VPN connections from the native WinXP s/w. Various
    >newsgroup
    >conversations seem to confirm this as a specific problem with the
    >Netgear kit (unless you know different?). Netgear sell their own
    >client software (what a surprise!) to solve the problem.
    >
    >Anyway, my question is:
    >
    >Which manufacturers' mainstream small VPN routers will readily accept
    >connections from the standard VPN client in WinXP?
    >
    >I am considering lower-cost units from Belkin, LinkSys and the like,
    >since the deployment is to small offices. With all due respect,
    >please post concrete experience, rather than "I can't see why not"
    >type info :-)
    >
    >Many TIA,
    >Simon

VPN Netgear Windows XP