PAL/NTSC DVD discs

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 3, 2005 8:24:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players (More info?)

Someone told me that if I create a DVD in the PAL format, that it
won't be playable in the USA with an NTSC-based DVD player. True?
He added that we in Australia are lucky because our PAL-based DVD
players can play NTSC DVD discs (which I can confirm). Surely it
would work the other way around? I need to know before I start
authoring my DVDs in PAL format, as I will living in the USA in
the near future, and wish to be able to view my DVDs over there.

More about : pal ntsc dvd discs

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 8:24:16 PM

"Jock Strap" <jock@strap.com> wrote in message
> Someone told me that if I create a DVD in the PAL format, that it
> won't be playable in the USA with an NTSC-based DVD player. True?
> He added that we in Australia are lucky because our PAL-based DVD
> players can play NTSC DVD discs (which I can confirm). Surely it
> would work the other way around? I need to know before I start
> authoring my DVDs in PAL format, as I will living in the USA in
> the near future, and wish to be able to view my DVDs over there.

Whoever told you is right.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 8:24:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players (More info?)

"Jock Strap" wrote in ...
> Someone told me that if I create a DVD in the PAL format, that it
> won't be playable in the USA with an NTSC-based DVD player.
> True?

True. For whatever reason you subscribe to, DVD players sold in
the USA are virtually all NTSC-only. It is very rare to see a DVD
player that will playback any flavor of PAL.

> He added that we in Australia are lucky because our PAL-based DVD
> players can play NTSC DVD discs (which I can confirm). Surely it
> would work the other way around? I need to know before I start
> authoring my DVDs in PAL format, as I will living in the USA in
> the near future, and wish to be able to view my DVDs over there.

Note that many of the really low-end DVD players (made in China,
like "Apex", et.al.) will, play both PAL and NTSC (and several
types of disks as well like VCD, etc. etc. However, note also that
TV receivers in the USA also display only NTSC, unlike players
in the PAL-territories which will playback "PAL-60" which is
NTSC sweep rates (30 FPS, etc.), but PAL color subcarrier. This
was developed to allow PAL VHS VCRs to play NTSC. However,
modern DVD players may have enough smarts in them to actually
fully convert NTSC to real PAL, so PAL-60 may go away with
videocassettes.
January 3, 2005 8:24:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players (More info?)

"Jock Strap" <jock@strap.com> wrote:

>Someone told me that if I create a DVD in the PAL format, that it
>won't be playable in the USA with an NTSC-based DVD player. True?
>He added that we in Australia are lucky because our PAL-based DVD
>players can play NTSC DVD discs (which I can confirm). Surely it
>would work the other way around? I need to know before I start
>authoring my DVDs in PAL format, as I will living in the USA in
>the near future, and wish to be able to view my DVDs over there.

USA DVD players for the most part are a pain, because the MPAA hates us
all. However, you can usually find one that will play PAL discs and discs
from other regions, and they're usually inexpensive. Trouble is, these
features are never advertised. That's why there's
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks , where you can look up a player by
model number and see if you can make it do what you want.

For example, I just got a CyberHome CH-DVD300 for $25 that does a very
nice job of PAL to NTSC conversion. Just don't expect a store clerk to
have any clue about such things.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 10:18:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players (More info?)

"Jock Strap" <jock@strap.com> wrote in message
> Someone told me that if I create a DVD in the PAL format, that it
> won't be playable in the USA with an NTSC-based DVD player. True?
> He added that we in Australia are lucky because our PAL-based DVD
> players can play NTSC DVD discs (which I can confirm). Surely it
> would work the other way around? I need to know before I start
> authoring my DVDs in PAL format, as I will living in the USA in
> the near future, and wish to be able to view my DVDs over there.

Typically, in North America, not just the USA, players are not region-free,
and do not support PAL playback. Also, North America does NOT use
multi-system tvs, like most of Europe. That said, you can buy region-free
machines here that will convert PAL to NTSC for playback on our NTSC only
tcs.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 10:21:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players (More info?)

I bought a dvd player that played PAl and NTSC DVDS. It is a
completely unknown brand made in China. For the most part it works ok.
One drawback is it can not work with any programmed universal remote
codes usually with other devices.

Of the major brands, I believe Yamaha makes a PAL/NTSC player. Too bad
there is not a North America DVD recorder for both PAL and NTSC. If
there is one please tell me!

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:18:55 GMT, "Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net> wrote:

>"Jock Strap" <jock@strap.com> wrote in message
>> Someone told me that if I create a DVD in the PAL format, that it
>> won't be playable in the USA with an NTSC-based DVD player. True?
>> He added that we in Australia are lucky because our PAL-based DVD
>> players can play NTSC DVD discs (which I can confirm). Surely it
>> would work the other way around? I need to know before I start
>> authoring my DVDs in PAL format, as I will living in the USA in
>> the near future, and wish to be able to view my DVDs over there.
>>

>Typically, in North America, not just the USA, players are not region-free,
>and do not support PAL playback. Also, North America does NOT use
>multi-system tvs, like most of Europe. That said, you can buy region-free
>machines here that will convert PAL to NTSC for playback on our NTSC only
>tcs.

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 10:46:49 PM

Have you searched the web for the manufacturer's name? (Google, etc). Or for
the FCC ID number (on the s/n tag)?

You might have to purchase a
'learning" remote...usually a bit more expensive. It is programmed using the
player's original remote.

Virtually all DVD players made in the past year will convert PAL disks such
that they will play on an NTSC TV/monitor. In fact, it is usually the
inexpensive, non-name-brand, players that play the longest list of formats
(PAL/NTSC/jpeg/DivX/mp3/etc).

Recorders? I'm not familiar with any stand-alone DVD recorder capable of making
both PAL and NTSC disks, but any computer DVD burner can...provided you can
produce video files in the correct format.

p a w e b e r 0 2 @ a o l . c o m

>I bought a dvd player that played PAl and NTSC DVDS. It is a
>completely unknown brand made in China. For the most part it works ok.
>One drawback is it can not work with any programmed universal remote
>codes usually with other devices.
>
>Of the major brands, I believe Yamaha makes a PAL/NTSC player. Too bad
>there is not a North America DVD recorder for both PAL and NTSC. If
>there is one please tell me!
>

>On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:18:55 GMT, "Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net> wrote:
>

>>"Jock Strap" <jock@strap.com> wrote in message
>>> Someone told me that if I create a DVD in the PAL format, that it
>>> won't be playable in the USA with an NTSC-based DVD player. True?
>>> He added that we in Australia are lucky because our PAL-based DVD
>>> players can play NTSC DVD discs (which I can confirm). Surely it
>>> would work the other way around? I need to know before I start
>>> authoring my DVDs in PAL format, as I will living in the USA in
>>> the near future, and wish to be able to view my DVDs over there.
>>>

>>Typically, in North America, not just the USA, players are not region-free,
>>and do not support PAL playback. Also, North America does NOT use
>>multi-system tvs, like most of Europe. That said, you can buy region-free
>>machines here that will convert PAL to NTSC for playback on our NTSC only
>>tcs.

webpa
!