Remote Desktop and Windows ME

trey

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

I have XP, my mom has ME. Can I use remote desktop to take control of her
computer?

No, but you can use UltraVNC with its encryption plug-in...

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

If your Mom's PC is behind a firewall/NAT/router then you need to open TCP Port 5900...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Trey" <Trey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have XP, my mom has ME. Can I use remote desktop to take control of her
> computer?

I'm afraid not--the host portion has to be built into the os. What you can
use, that you both probably have, is NetMeeting remote desktop sharing.

On XP, if you don't see NetMeeting, do start, run, conf <enter> and it'll
appear.

Netmeeting can be awkward to work with, but does is fully supported on both
ME and XP, and uses encryption.

Something that is easier to do is to download one of the VNC variants--I
prefer UltraVNC, and, ideally, the encryption plugin for it:

http://www.ultravnc.com/cgi-bin/FrameIt.cgi?Url=http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/MSRC4Plugin.dsm

Vnc works quite well over a fast connection, and the newer versions are more
secure and do more logging than the older ones.

"Trey" <Trey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have XP, my mom has ME. Can I use remote desktop to take control of her
> computer?

trey

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

thanks, that's what I thought. The problem is that I can't seem to get
netmeeting to connect with her computer. I'm not sure what the problem is.
I've used netmeeting at work, so thats what I tried first. I've also tried
vnc and tight vnc and still can't get connected either. She doesn't have a
firewall up....

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> I'm afraid not--the host portion has to be built into the os. What you can
> use, that you both probably have, is NetMeeting remote desktop sharing.
>
> On XP, if you don't see NetMeeting, do start, run, conf <enter> and it'll
> appear.
>
> Netmeeting can be awkward to work with, but does is fully supported on both
> ME and XP, and uses encryption.
>
> Something that is easier to do is to download one of the VNC variants--I
> prefer UltraVNC, and, ideally, the encryption plugin for it:
>
> http://www.ultravnc.com/cgi-bin/FrameIt.cgi?Url=http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
>
> http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/MSRC4Plugin.dsm
>
> Vnc works quite well over a fast connection, and the newer versions are more
> secure and do more logging than the older ones.
>

> "Trey" <Trey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have XP, my mom has ME. Can I use remote desktop to take control of her
> > computer?

How is she connected to the public internet? Are you calling the correct public IP for her PC?

--

> thanks, that's what I thought. The problem is that I can't seem to get
> netmeeting to connect with her computer. I'm not sure what the problem is.
> I've used netmeeting at work, so thats what I tried first. I've also tried
> vnc and tight vnc and still can't get connected either. She doesn't have a
> firewall up....
>
> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> I'm afraid not--the host portion has to be built into the os. What you can
>> use, that you both probably have, is NetMeeting remote desktop sharing.
>>
>> On XP, if you don't see NetMeeting, do start, run, conf <enter> and it'll
>> appear.
>>
>> Netmeeting can be awkward to work with, but does is fully supported on both
>> ME and XP, and uses encryption.
>>
>> Something that is easier to do is to download one of the VNC variants--I
>> prefer UltraVNC, and, ideally, the encryption plugin for it:
>>
>> http://www.ultravnc.com/cgi-bin/FrameIt.cgi?Url=http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/MSRC4Plugin.dsm
>>
>> Vnc works quite well over a fast connection, and the newer versions are more
>> secure and do more logging than the older ones.
>>

>> "Trey" <Trey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have XP, my mom has ME. Can I use remote desktop to take control of her
>> > computer?

Can you ping the IP address you have for her?

Firewalls are becoming more ubiquitous. Folks upgrade NAV to NIS and don't
realize that there's a firewall included. even NAV 2005 itself seems to
block all inward communication when it perceives some kinds of threats.

The issues are: correct address, firewall or nat/router device, and having
the ports right for the particular app.

"Trey" <Trey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> thanks, that's what I thought. The problem is that I can't seem to get
> netmeeting to connect with her computer. I'm not sure what the problem
> is.
> I've used netmeeting at work, so thats what I tried first. I've also
> tried
> vnc and tight vnc and still can't get connected either. She doesn't have
> firewall up....
>
> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> I'm afraid not--the host portion has to be built into the os. What you
>> can
>> use, that you both probably have, is NetMeeting remote desktop sharing.
>>
>> On XP, if you don't see NetMeeting, do start, run, conf <enter> and it'll
>> appear.
>>
>> Netmeeting can be awkward to work with, but does is fully supported on
>> both
>> ME and XP, and uses encryption.
>>
>> Something that is easier to do is to download one of the VNC variants--I
>> prefer UltraVNC, and, ideally, the encryption plugin for it:
>>
>> http://www.ultravnc.com/cgi-bin/FrameIt.cgi?Url=http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/MSRC4Plugin.dsm
>>
>> Vnc works quite well over a fast connection, and the newer versions are
>> more
>> secure and do more logging than the older ones.
>>

>> "Trey" <Trey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have XP, my mom has ME. Can I use remote desktop to take control of
>> >her
>> > computer?

trey

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

yep, she just finally got on a dsl line through a regular ISP. Nothing
special. ME with no firewalls. Only AVG antivirus. Nothing else installed.

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> How is she connected to the public internet? Are you calling the correct public IP for her PC?
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Trey" <Trey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > thanks, that's what I thought. The problem is that I can't seem to get
> > netmeeting to connect with her computer. I'm not sure what the problem is.
> > I've used netmeeting at work, so thats what I tried first. I've also tried
> > vnc and tight vnc and still can't get connected either. She doesn't have a
> > firewall up....
> >
> > "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
> >
> >> I'm afraid not--the host portion has to be built into the os. What you can
> >> use, that you both probably have, is NetMeeting remote desktop sharing.
> >>
> >> On XP, if you don't see NetMeeting, do start, run, conf <enter> and it'll
> >> appear.
> >>
> >> Netmeeting can be awkward to work with, but does is fully supported on both
> >> ME and XP, and uses encryption.
> >>
> >> Something that is easier to do is to download one of the VNC variants--I
> >> prefer UltraVNC, and, ideally, the encryption plugin for it:
> >>
> >> http://www.ultravnc.com/cgi-bin/FrameIt.cgi?Url=http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
> >>
> >> http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/MSRC4Plugin.dsm
> >>
> >> Vnc works quite well over a fast connection, and the newer versions are more
> >> secure and do more logging than the older ones.
> >>

> >> "Trey" <Trey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

trey

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

I think I did get a ping to work. But when I tried to use the address in
netmeeting I get the person you called cannot accept netmeeting calls.

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> Can you ping the IP address you have for her?
>
> Firewalls are becoming more ubiquitous. Folks upgrade NAV to NIS and don't
> realize that there's a firewall included. even NAV 2005 itself seems to
> block all inward communication when it perceives some kinds of threats.
>
> The issues are: correct address, firewall or nat/router device, and having
> the ports right for the particular app.
>
> "Trey" <Trey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > thanks, that's what I thought. The problem is that I can't seem to get
> > netmeeting to connect with her computer. I'm not sure what the problem
> > is.
> > I've used netmeeting at work, so thats what I tried first. I've also
> > tried
> > vnc and tight vnc and still can't get connected either. She doesn't have
> > firewall up....
> >
> > "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
> >
> >> I'm afraid not--the host portion has to be built into the os. What you
> >> can
> >> use, that you both probably have, is NetMeeting remote desktop sharing.
> >>
> >> On XP, if you don't see NetMeeting, do start, run, conf <enter> and it'll
> >> appear.
> >>
> >> Netmeeting can be awkward to work with, but does is fully supported on
> >> both
> >> ME and XP, and uses encryption.
> >>
> >> Something that is easier to do is to download one of the VNC variants--I
> >> prefer UltraVNC, and, ideally, the encryption plugin for it:
> >>
> >> http://www.ultravnc.com/cgi-bin/FrameIt.cgi?Url=http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
> >>
> >> http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/MSRC4Plugin.dsm
> >>
> >> Vnc works quite well over a fast connection, and the newer versions are
> >> more
> >> secure and do more logging than the older ones.
> >>

> >> "Trey" <Trey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Well, its possible the DSL modem is also router. If that's the case then opening the correct port
may be problematic...

Have her run the command winipconfig from the command line...If the winipconfig command reports an
IP in the 10.X.X.X or 172.16.X.X or 192.168.X.X range then you may be out of luck.

http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/cs/Services/rfc/rfc-text/rfc1918.txt

If she goes to the http://www.whatismyip.com site does the reported IP match the IP found by the
winipconfig command? If not, then you need to either configure the DSL modem to pass the correct
port or ask the ISP to do that, if they will...

--

> yep, she just finally got on a dsl line through a regular ISP. Nothing
> special. ME with no firewalls. Only AVG antivirus. Nothing else installed.
>
> "Sooner Al" wrote:
>
>> How is she connected to the public internet? Are you calling the correct public IP for her PC?
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Trey" <Trey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > thanks, that's what I thought. The problem is that I can't seem to get
>> > netmeeting to connect with her computer. I'm not sure what the problem is.
>> > I've used netmeeting at work, so thats what I tried first. I've also tried
>> > vnc and tight vnc and still can't get connected either. She doesn't have a
>> > firewall up....

If you can ping, you might want to try VNC next--it is simpler to get going
than Netmeeting is--if you can do a simple unencrypted VNC, you know that
you've got the basics covered--you have the right address, and there's no
NAT or firewall getting in the way. Then you should decide whether to
pursue NetMeeting --which you can configure on her end via the VNC
connection--or just add encryption to VNC and use that.

>I think I did get a ping to work. But when I tried to use the address in
> netmeeting I get the person you called cannot accept netmeeting calls.
>
> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> Can you ping the IP address you have for her?
>>
>> Firewalls are becoming more ubiquitous. Folks upgrade NAV to NIS and
>> don't
>> realize that there's a firewall included. even NAV 2005 itself seems to
>> block all inward communication when it perceives some kinds of threats.
>>
>> The issues are: correct address, firewall or nat/router device, and
>> having
>> the ports right for the particular app.
>>
>> "Trey" <Trey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > thanks, that's what I thought. The problem is that I can't seem to get
>> > netmeeting to connect with her computer. I'm not sure what the problem
>> > is.
>> > I've used netmeeting at work, so thats what I tried first. I've also
>> > tried
>> > vnc and tight vnc and still can't get connected either. She doesn't
>> > have
>> > firewall up....

trey

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Thanks for all your help! I've sent the link to my mother to see what her
'real' ip is (if its any different than what I ping). I've got Ultra VNC
downloaded and will try to figure it out.

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> If you can ping, you might want to try VNC next--it is simpler to get going
> than Netmeeting is--if you can do a simple unencrypted VNC, you know that
> you've got the basics covered--you have the right address, and there's no
> NAT or firewall getting in the way. Then you should decide whether to
> pursue NetMeeting --which you can configure on her end via the VNC
> connection--or just add encryption to VNC and use that.
>
> "Trey" <Trey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I think I did get a ping to work. But when I tried to use the address in
> > netmeeting I get the person you called cannot accept netmeeting calls.
> >
> > "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
> >
> >> Can you ping the IP address you have for her?
> >>
> >> Firewalls are becoming more ubiquitous. Folks upgrade NAV to NIS and
> >> don't
> >> realize that there's a firewall included. even NAV 2005 itself seems to
> >> block all inward communication when it perceives some kinds of threats.
> >>
> >> The issues are: correct address, firewall or nat/router device, and
> >> having
> >> the ports right for the particular app.
> >>
> >> "Trey" <Trey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

It is pretty simple--just remember to have her load the SERVER, while you
load the Viewer (or client.)

It is better for her to load it on demand, and to use a strong
password--there are automated scans for VNC servers, periodically.