Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Remote Acess thru VPN problem

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 1:23:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Clients connecting to desktops using Symantec VPN device and software and
remote desktop cannot access their workstations. They were able to before.
I can still access the server remotely and I can access workstations using
remote connection from the LAN side.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks.
Ed
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 8:07:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I noticed that you have the same device I have. I'm trying to setup an
office to home connection. I haven't had any luck myself but have you
considered XP SP2 may be the problem? (something I haven't tried)

If you have had any previous success connecting remotely please help me?
I've tried almost every setting in the VPN device software setup and can't
get it to work. I can remote connect through the LAN but not through the web.

My office has XP Pro and home is XP Home. Between the XP Pro and the
internet there's a switch, the Symantec VPN device, and a router I bridged
into a modem. All IP's in the office are static, home is dynamic. The XP
Pro machine is the host. Per the VPN device software manual we should be
able to do that by entering the IP address:8088. But the static IP I have
with the ISP is not reachable through the browser from work or home.
However, I can ping it from work but not from home.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

"Ed Dickinson" wrote:

> Clients connecting to desktops using Symantec VPN device and software and
> remote desktop cannot access their workstations. They were able to before.
> I can still access the server remotely and I can access workstations using
> remote connection from the LAN side.
> Any ideas or suggestions?
> Thanks.
> Ed
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 8:09:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I noticed that you have the same device I have. I'm trying to setup an
office to home connection. I haven't had any luck myself but have you
considered XP SP2 may be the problem? (something I haven't tried)

If you have had any previous success connecting remotely please help me?
I've tried almost every setting in the VPN device software setup and can't
get it to work. I can remote connect through the LAN but not through the web.

My office has XP Pro and home is XP Home. Between the XP Pro and the
internet there's a switch, the Symantec VPN device, and a router I bridged
into a modem. All IP's in the office are static, home is dynamic. The XP
Pro machine is the host. Per the VPN device software manual we should be
able to do that by entering the IP address:8088. But the static IP I have
with the ISP is not reachable through the browser from work or home.
However, I can ping it from work but not from home.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

"Ed Dickinson" wrote:

> Clients connecting to desktops using Symantec VPN device and software and
> remote desktop cannot access their workstations. They were able to before.
> I can still access the server remotely and I can access workstations using
> remote connection from the LAN side.
> Any ideas or suggestions?
> Thanks.
> Ed
Related resources
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 3:07:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Luis F. Leon <LuisFLeon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> But the static IP I have with the ISP is not reachable
> through the browser from work or home.
> However, I can ping it from work but not from home.

If you cannot reach your work's WAN IP address from home, then there is no
way you can create a VPN connection into your work, and there is nothing we
can do to help you.

You need to discuss this problem with your ISP.

Maybe your ISP has put you behind a firewall, or behind a NAT router of its
own.

Perhaps if you told us what your work's WAN IP address is, then we could
check whether it is reachable from anywhere else.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 3:07:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Guys,
The Symantec device is probably set to not return ping request.
Luis, are you able to create a tunnel?
Which Symantec device are you using?


"Robin Walker" wrote:

> Luis F. Leon <LuisFLeon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > But the static IP I have with the ISP is not reachable
> > through the browser from work or home.
> > However, I can ping it from work but not from home.
>
> If you cannot reach your work's WAN IP address from home, then there is no
> way you can create a VPN connection into your work, and there is nothing we
> can do to help you.
>
> You need to discuss this problem with your ISP.
>
> Maybe your ISP has put you behind a firewall, or behind a NAT router of its
> own.
>
> Perhaps if you told us what your work's WAN IP address is, then we could
> check whether it is reachable from anywhere else.
>
> --
> Robin Walker
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk
>
>
>
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 3:23:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Thanks for responding.

I'm using a Symantec Firewall/VPN 200R. I don't think they make or support
them anymore.

I was able to create a tunnel to another office the Firewall/VPN 200R and a
Symantec Firewall/VPN 100. Accomplishing this was actually pretty simple.
Setting up a remote connection has proven to be a little more complicated.

If the device is set to not return ping requests why can I ping it
internally? I'll look for that setting, but I did not notice it in the
software.

"Ed Dickinson" wrote:

> Guys,
> The Symantec device is probably set to not return ping request.
> Luis, are you able to create a tunnel?
> Which Symantec device are you using?
>
>
> "Robin Walker" wrote:
>
> > Luis F. Leon <LuisFLeon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > But the static IP I have with the ISP is not reachable
> > > through the browser from work or home.
> > > However, I can ping it from work but not from home.
> >
> > If you cannot reach your work's WAN IP address from home, then there is no
> > way you can create a VPN connection into your work, and there is nothing we
> > can do to help you.
> >
> > You need to discuss this problem with your ISP.
> >
> > Maybe your ISP has put you behind a firewall, or behind a NAT router of its
> > own.
> >
> > Perhaps if you told us what your work's WAN IP address is, then we could
> > check whether it is reachable from anywhere else.
> >
> > --
> > Robin Walker
> > rdhw@cam.ac.uk
> >
> >
> >
!