Best codec for encoding video for archive purposes.

Hi all!

I am looking for advice on which codec to use to archive video footage
captured from analogue VHS for the purpose of buring to a DVD-R and
editing at a later date.

I will be using roughtly 45 minutes of tape per DVD-R so any bitate
advice you can give too would be appreciated.

Thansk,

Engelkott
7 answers Last reply
More about best codec encoding video archive purposes

    If it fits (eg. dual layer disc), then DV codec AVI files are the best.

    Otherwise, you'll have to use something else with higher compression:
    PicVideo MJPEG (adjustable compression), HuffYUV, DIVX/XVID/MPEG-4, MPEG-2.

    Out of these, MPEG-2 is a pretty easy pick for easy of encoding and
    decoding - just about everything works with this nowadays. After that,
    MJPEG because it's fast, easily adjustable, and a quick&easy one to try
    before the others. After that, DIVX/XVID/etc. with a lot of adjusting
    and testing; same with Huffyuv - these can get very high quality
    multi-pass encodings, but can take forever to encode and to tweak.

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:03:13 -0800, David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu>
    wrote:

    >If it fits (eg. dual layer disc), then DV codec AVI files are the best.
    >
    >Otherwise, you'll have to use something else with higher compression:
    >PicVideo MJPEG (adjustable compression), HuffYUV, DIVX/XVID/MPEG-4, MPEG-2.
    >
    >Out of these, MPEG-2 is a pretty easy pick for easy of encoding and
    >decoding - just about everything works with this nowadays. After that,
    >MJPEG because it's fast, easily adjustable, and a quick&easy one to try
    >before the others. After that, DIVX/XVID/etc. with a lot of adjusting
    >and testing; same with Huffyuv - these can get very high quality
    >multi-pass encodings, but can take forever to encode and to tweak.

    For the amount of footage he wants on each DVD-R and the fact
    he wants to edit it later, I'd say MJPEG at a low compression setting
    would be his best bet. MPEG-2 wouldn't be a good choice, because of
    the later editing requirement.

    Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
    I have no fears in life,
    for I have already survived Theta-G!

    It all comes down to the tradeoff of space/quality.
    If you want to edit later, highly-compressed codecs
    like MPEG2 may not be what you should be looking at.

    With a single sided disk, you can get about 22mins of DV AVI on a
    single disk, so if you don't object to splitting your 45 min tapes
    across 2 discs, this may be an option for you. It will certainly
    result in the best quality and ease of editing later on, with the
    downside obviously being the cost. If you don't have too many tapes,
    perhaps this is the way to go. (I'm assuming here that you're
    capturing as DV... you don't actually state that)

    Engelkott wrote:
    > On 5 Jan 2005 04:11:17 -0800, "stankley" <pstankley@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >With a single sided disk, you can get about 22mins of DV AVI on a
    > >single disk, so if you don't object to splitting your 45 min tapes
    > >across 2 discs, this may be an option for you. It will certainly
    > >result in the best quality and ease of editing later on, with the
    > >downside obviously being the cost. If you don't have too many
    tapes,
    > >perhaps this is the way to go. (I'm assuming here that you're
    > >capturing as DV... you don't actually state that)
    >
    > Hi!
    >
    > Thansk for your reply! I did mention that i was capturing from
    > analogue VHS tape in my original post witht he end product being on
    > dvd for storage.
    >
    > You reply has been very helpful and much appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Engelkott

    Right, but you haven't told us in what form you're capturing the VHS
    source. If thru a digital camcorder, then it will be DV (13Gb/hour).
    If you're using a capture card, then it could be MPEG2, MJPEG or other
    forms, each of which has its own data rate.
    Ultimately, of course, you have to convert to MPEG2 to burn to DVD.

    On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 02:55:20 -0500, Neil Nadelman
    <arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)> wrote:

    >On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:03:13 -0800, David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>If it fits (eg. dual layer disc), then DV codec AVI files are the best.
    >>
    >>Otherwise, you'll have to use something else with higher compression:
    >>PicVideo MJPEG (adjustable compression), HuffYUV, DIVX/XVID/MPEG-4, MPEG-2.
    >>
    >>Out of these, MPEG-2 is a pretty easy pick for easy of encoding and
    >>decoding - just about everything works with this nowadays. After that,
    >>MJPEG because it's fast, easily adjustable, and a quick&easy one to try
    >>before the others. After that, DIVX/XVID/etc. with a lot of adjusting
    >>and testing; same with Huffyuv - these can get very high quality
    >>multi-pass encodings, but can take forever to encode and to tweak.
    >
    > For the amount of footage he wants on each DVD-R and the fact
    >he wants to edit it later, I'd say MJPEG at a low compression setting
    >would be his best bet. MPEG-2 wouldn't be a good choice, because of
    >the later editing requirement.

    >Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
    > I have no fears in life,
    > for I have already survived Theta-G!

    Thanks for your reply! I think i will go the MJPEG route. I seem to
    remember buying the Morgan codec about 2 years ago, i just have to
    find it! :)

    Thanks again!

    Engelkott

    wrote:

    >With a single sided disk, you can get about 22mins of DV AVI on a
    >single disk, so if you don't object to splitting your 45 min tapes
    >across 2 discs, this may be an option for you. It will certainly
    >result in the best quality and ease of editing later on, with the
    >downside obviously being the cost. If you don't have too many tapes,
    >perhaps this is the way to go. (I'm assuming here that you're
    >capturing as DV... you don't actually state that)

    Hi!

    Thansk for your reply! I did mention that i was capturing from
    analogue VHS tape in my original post witht he end product being on
    dvd for storage.

    You reply has been very helpful and much appreciated!

    Thanks!

    Engelkott

Tuner Cards Codec Video DVD Writers Encoding Graphics