Putting Printers or Scanners on a home LAN

mattthenewb

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
Ahoyhoy,

Ive been running two comps linked together via a Linksys Brand 4-port router to Broadband for about 2 years now. I was wondering, is there hardware out there I can purchase that would allow me to take a Printer or Scanner, plug it into it, then plug it into one of the 2 unused ports on the router, so it would be a network device usable by both my comps equally without dependance on the other? Also, are there adapters you can buy to plug into a router that increases your ports? Like you plug it in and it has 4 ports of its own to expand your network without buying a new router or hub? Like you can do with USB ports. I am on Ethernet with my network btw, using internal SMC cards in my PCs.

One more question, can you plug a hub into a router to expand your network? My undertstanding is that a hub is just a router without a firewall, and since my router already has all the firewall I need I was thinking about plugging a HUB into my router to expand the network, thinking it would be cheaper. Would that work?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you need to get a jetdirect device to share the printer, you probly cant do it with a scanner.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
One more question, can you plug a hub into a router to expand your network? My undertstanding is that a hub is just a router without a firewall, and since my router already has all the firewall I need I was thinking about plugging a HUB into my router to expand the network, thinking it would be cheaper. Would that work?
yes

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>