Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Windows 8 activation

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
November 15, 2012 9:49:16 AM

dear friends

I have ordered an oem version of windows 8 pro a couple of days ago as they are giving it as a promotional offer and its affordable. right now im using windows 7 in my 3 year old system and planning to build a new system in about 10 months time. can I keep this windows 8 copy and install it later in my new build rather than installing it in my current windows 7 system. will my windows 8 expire by then. is there any time limit on windows 8 activation or is it lifetime.

More about : windows activation

November 15, 2012 10:35:14 AM

Once you have installed Windows 8, you have a certain ammount of days to activate it. It cannot expire if you don't install it.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2012 11:00:13 AM

Problem is you bought OEM. It will tie itself to the first motherboard it sees. To save yourself some grief don't install it until you have your new system.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 15, 2012 11:00:46 AM

thanks for the reply,

no I don't want to install windows 8 now. I want to keep the dvd pack as it has arrived and want to install it in my new build after about 10 months or so from now. so they wont say that my key has expired isn't it.

cragzman said:
Once you have installed Windows 8, you have a certain ammount of days to activate it. It cannot expire if you don't install it.

m
0
l
November 15, 2012 11:05:54 AM

is it ok if I install after a year, they keys which comes with the dvd wont be having a time limit like I have to activate it within a timeframe or else my copy wont be valid. a lot of confusion is going around windows 8 and the Microsoft website is not helping much.

4745454b said:
Problem is you bought OEM. It will tie itself to the first motherboard it sees. To save yourself some grief don't install it until you have your new system.

m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 15, 2012 11:09:05 AM

Keys don't expire
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2012 11:21:20 AM

Keys don't expire no.
m
0
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 15, 2012 1:58:29 PM

4745454b said:
Problem is you bought OEM. It will tie itself to the first motherboard it sees. To save yourself some grief don't install it until you have your new system.


This is no longer the case. Retail license terms have been merged into the OEM/System Builder version of Windows 8 from the retail version of Windows 7, since a retail version of Windows 8 (in the form we knew it from Windows 7) doesn't actually exist.

From: http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.asp...

"Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Anytime you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers. You may transfer Get Genuine Windows software, Pro Pack or Media Center Pack software only together with the licensed computer."

Edit: And I will third what the others said above. Windows license keys do not have any time limits. You could install it on your computer 3 years from now and it would still work.
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 7:49:19 PM

thanks for the reply,

since im buying an oem copy under the promotional offer which last only till jan 2013(and costs 4 times less), i was worried that they would be using a designated type of keys to identify softwares which shipped till jan 2013 and a separate sets of keys for later copies(like found in giveaway offers by some software vendors) which may require to install and activate all copies sold under promotional offers to be activated on or before a particular date or it wont activate. is there any terms like that?

The_Prophecy said:
This is no longer the case. Retail license terms have been merged into the OEM/System Builder version of Windows 8 from the retail version of Windows 7, since a retail version of Windows 8 (in the form we knew it from Windows 7) doesn't actually exist.

From: http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.asp...

"Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Anytime you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers. You may transfer Get Genuine Windows software, Pro Pack or Media Center Pack software only together with the licensed computer."

Edit: And I will third what the others said above. Windows license keys do not have any time limits. You could install it on your computer 3 years from now and it would still work.

m
0
l

Best solution

a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 15, 2012 11:24:51 PM

No. As we said above, the keys do not expire, not even the ones sold under the promo price.
Share
November 16, 2012 12:20:35 AM

Best answer selected by i7470.
m
0
l
November 16, 2012 12:25:25 AM

i thank you all for helping me out. good day. special thanks to the_prophecy.
m
0
l
!