No Wireless Network in Range - post-reinstall

Hello,
I had to reinstall Winodws, and now when I double click on wireless icon it
says "no wireless networks found in range" even though I am in the same place
I always am - right next to the network!
How can I get back on?

You have to reinstall your network as well. Open Network Connections and
follow the wizard.
If you have problems with this, tell us about your hardware (Router,
adapter, connection type. etc.)

"operaflute" wrote:

> Hello,
> I had to reinstall Winodws, and now when I double click on wireless icon it
> says "no wireless networks found in range" even though I am in the same place
> I always am - right next to the network!
> How can I get back on?

Is this the case even though there is a "wireless network connection" listed
in "my network connections?" Of course, the icon has a red X and says not
connected...

"Hugh" wrote:

> You have to reinstall your network as well. Open Network Connections and
> follow the wizard.
> If you have problems with this, tell us about your hardware (Router,
> adapter, connection type. etc.)
>
> "operaflute" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I had to reinstall Winodws, and now when I double click on wireless icon it
> > says "no wireless networks found in range" even though I am in the same place
> > I always am - right next to the network!
> > How can I get back on?

Try right-clicking the wireless network and selecting "Connect".

"operaflute" wrote:

> Is this the case even though there is a "wireless network connection" listed
> in "my network connections?" Of course, the icon has a red X and says not
> connected...
>
> "Hugh" wrote:
>
> > You have to reinstall your network as well. Open Network Connections and
> > follow the wizard.
> > If you have problems with this, tell us about your hardware (Router,
> > adapter, connection type. etc.)
> >
> > "operaflute" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > > I had to reinstall Winodws, and now when I double click on wireless icon it
> > > says "no wireless networks found in range" even though I am in the same place
> > > I always am - right next to the network!
> > > How can I get back on?

Nope - as far as my computer thinks, there is nothing to connect to!

"Hugh" wrote:

> Try right-clicking the wireless network and selecting "Connect".
>
> "operaflute" wrote:
>
> > Is this the case even though there is a "wireless network connection" listed
> > in "my network connections?" Of course, the icon has a red X and says not
> > connected...
> >
> > "Hugh" wrote:
> >
> > > You have to reinstall your network as well. Open Network Connections and
> > > follow the wizard.
> > > If you have problems with this, tell us about your hardware (Router,
> > > adapter, connection type. etc.)

Hi Operaflute,

It may be that your AP is broadcasting it's information, so your system is
picking up the network. But unless you are running a totally open wireless
network, then just having your system aware of the wireless network's SSID
will not be enough to get you on the network. You will need to configure
your system with the correct WEP, WPA or PSK that your network requires.
During your OS rebuild, all of these settings would have been lost.

--
HTH,
=d=

Dana Brash
MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA

"operaflute" <operaflute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is this the case even though there is a "wireless network connection"
> listed
> in "my network connections?" Of course, the icon has a red X and says not
> connected...
>
> "Hugh" wrote:
>
>> You have to reinstall your network as well. Open Network Connections and
>> follow the wizard.
>> If you have problems with this, tell us about your hardware (Router,
>> adapter, connection type. etc.)
>>
>> "operaflute" wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> > I had to reinstall Winodws, and now when I double click on wireless
>> > icon it
>> > says "no wireless networks found in range" even though I am in the same
>> > place
>> > I always am - right next to the network!
>> > How can I get back on?

Thing is, it is not detecting anything at all...
Ssays there ARE no networks.
"Dana Brash" wrote:

> Hi Operaflute,
>
> It may be that your AP is broadcasting it's information, so your system is
> picking up the network. But unless you are running a totally open wireless
> network, then just having your system aware of the wireless network's SSID
> will not be enough to get you on the network. You will need to configure
> your system with the correct WEP, WPA or PSK that your network requires.
> During your OS rebuild, all of these settings would have been lost.
>
> --
> HTH,
> =d=
>

> Dana Brash
> MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA
>

> "operaflute" <operaflute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is this the case even though there is a "wireless network connection"
> > listed
> > in "my network connections?" Of course, the icon has a red X and says not
> > connected...
> >
> > "Hugh" wrote:
> >
> >> You have to reinstall your network as well. Open Network Connections and
> >> follow the wizard.
> >> If you have problems with this, tell us about your hardware (Router,
> >> adapter, connection type. etc.)

You still havn't told us anything about your hardware. Firmware updates are
sometimes critcal.
In cases like yours I have uninstalled all networking devices and protocols
and started over, usually with success.

"operaflute" wrote:

> Nope - as far as my computer thinks, there is nothing to connect to!
>
> "Hugh" wrote:
>
> > Try right-clicking the wireless network and selecting "Connect".
> >
> > "operaflute" wrote:
> >
> > > Is this the case even though there is a "wireless network connection" listed
> > > in "my network connections?" Of course, the icon has a red X and says not
> > > connected...

If that's the case, then the 'Wireless Network Connection' listed in your
Network Connections simply needs to be configured. The fact that it's there
is just telling you you have the hardware and drivers installed. You still
need to configure the connection.

Right click the Wireless Network Connection, go to Properties.
Select the Wireless Networks tab. Click on 'View WIreless Networks' to see
if you can automatically find your Wireless connection (SSID Broadcast is
ON), and if not, select the Add button under preferred Networks. You can
then configure the appropriate connection and security settings.

IF you made changes to the AP and don't remember what they are, you should
be able to find the 'reset' switch on your AP to reset it to out of the box
settings and then follow the manufacturers instructions to get connected.

--
HTH,
=d=

Dana Brash
MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA

dbrash@NOSPAM.gmail.com

> Thing is, it is not detecting anything at all...
> Ssays there ARE no networks.
> "Dana Brash" wrote:
>
>> Hi Operaflute,
>>
>> It may be that your AP is broadcasting it's information, so your system
>> is
>> picking up the network. But unless you are running a totally open
>> wireless
>> network, then just having your system aware of the wireless network's
>> SSID
>> will not be enough to get you on the network. You will need to configure
>> your system with the correct WEP, WPA or PSK that your network requires.
>> During your OS rebuild, all of these settings would have been lost.
>>
>> --
>> HTH,
>> =d=
>>

>> Dana Brash
>> MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA
>>

>> "operaflute" <operaflute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is this the case even though there is a "wireless network connection"
>> > listed
>> > in "my network connections?" Of course, the icon has a red X and says
>> > not
>> > connected...

Hi Huge,

I'm basically having the same problem. I recently bought a Dell Inspiron
700m Laptop and it has everything installed including Intel PRO/Wireless 2100
WLAN (802.11b) mini-PCI Internal Wireless. I keep getting the same message
that "No wireless network found in range." But it also states, "Check to see
if computer's wireless switch is turned on." How do you check this?

"Hugh" wrote:

> You have to reinstall your network as well. Open Network Connections and
> follow the wizard.
> If you have problems with this, tell us about your hardware (Router,
> adapter, connection type. etc.)
>
> "operaflute" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I had to reinstall Winodws, and now when I double click on wireless icon it
> > says "no wireless networks found in range" even though I am in the same place
> > I always am - right next to the network!
> > How can I get back on?

Only my close prsonal friends call me "Huge".
Same question which Operaflute doesn't want to answer: tell us about your
connection and hardware. Cable? DSL? Router? AP?
I enjoy trying to answer these questions, but the information we request is
critical to the answer.
"Calvin Wilbon" wrote:

> Hi Huge,
>
> I'm basically having the same problem. I recently bought a Dell Inspiron
> 700m Laptop and it has everything installed including Intel PRO/Wireless 2100
> WLAN (802.11b) mini-PCI Internal Wireless. I keep getting the same message
> that "No wireless network found in range." But it also states, "Check to see
> if computer's wireless switch is turned on." How do you check this?
>
> "Hugh" wrote:
>
> > You have to reinstall your network as well. Open Network Connections and
> > follow the wizard.
> > If you have problems with this, tell us about your hardware (Router,
> > adapter, connection type. etc.)
> >
> > "operaflute" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > > I had to reinstall Winodws, and now when I double click on wireless icon it
> > > says "no wireless networks found in range" even though I am in the same place
> > > I always am - right next to the network!
> > > How can I get back on?

You do not say .. or I have missed it .. whether you are Running
Windows XP SP2. If so, check that you really do want Windows to
configure your Wireless Network Settings; because I found that when I
installed SP2, Microsoft decided that it could manage my network
better that me, or my previously installed utilities.

I am using the BT suite of network management software for a Voyager
2000 and wirless network, and found that Windows had disabled the
management utility in preference replacing it with it's own wizards!

By unchecking the box marked "Use Windows to configure my Wireless
Network Settings" within the Wirless Network Conection Properties
advanced settings fixed my problems. Good old Microsoft :)

JRB

Whaddya know, just stumbled across a similar problem: Come home from a
weekend away and nothing's connecting anymore. No settings changed, but I
did have everything powered off for a couple days. Wouldn't surprise me if
that wasn't the first reset of the AP in a few months, and lo'and behold, I
come back and I'm also not detecting any networks.

I reviewed my settings, (none of which had changed) and turned on logging.

I have a Linksys WAP54G router. I was running firmware version 1.09.01. I
am now running 2.07. I am now connected.

Best I can figure, is that the old firmware version on the Linksys wasn't
fully compatible with XP SP2, and the reset triggered the differences into
place. Another possibility is that the power on/off managed to corrupt the
image on the AP somehow and, despite all the settings looking fine, was
therefore unable to connect.

This is a great example of Hugh being right: we really should know more
about your harware and environment to provide helpful info.

--
HTH,
=d=

Dana Brash