CC encoder settings for best 180minute dvd

I'm trying to find out what the settings I need in Cinema Craft basic to
get the best quality possible when trying for a 180minute DVD.

Yeah, I know it's a bit of a oxymoron "quality" and "180minute DVD", the
need arises where you only want the 180 minutes on only one dvd, rather
than 2, and are prepared to accept the resultant loss of quality with
it, however would like to get the best quality possible in this situation.

Thanks !

Brendan Pratt wrote:
> I'm trying to find out what the settings I need in Cinema Craft basic to
> get the best quality possible when trying for a 180minute DVD.

I don't use CC, but if I set up an average bitrate of 3,000,000 bps and
use a resolution of Half D1, the results are quite nice. I filter all
my input both spatially and temporally (with VirtualDub), so that lets
the MPEG compression work the best.

I'll get about 180 minutes plus space for a menu system on a DVD.

--
-WD

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:53:17 +1000, Brendan Pratt
<bprattNOSPAM@overflow.net.au> wrote:

>I'm trying to find out what the settings I need in Cinema Craft basic to
>get the best quality possible when trying for a 180minute DVD.
>
>Yeah, I know it's a bit of a oxymoron "quality" and "180minute DVD", the
>need arises where you only want the 180 minutes on only one dvd, rather
>than 2, and are prepared to accept the resultant loss of quality with
>it, however would like to get the best quality possible in this situation.
>
>Thanks !

My idea would be to convert the entire material at 8K or even higher,
then let DVDshrink do the automatic fitting for DVDafter deep
analysis. I'm pretty sure you'll then get better quality instead of
decoding at 3 or so K. It's the way I've been working with in past
months and results are more than pretty good, even in high motion
areas where you soon get block noise at low bitrates.

Peter van der Sluis
Pijnacker, The Netherlands

coolmercy wrote:
> My idea would be to convert the entire material at 8K or even higher,
> then let DVDshrink do the automatic fitting for DVDafter deep
> analysis. I'm pretty sure you'll then get better quality instead of
> decoding at 3 or so K. It's the way I've been working with in past
> months and results are more than pretty good, even in high motion
> areas where you soon get block noise at low bitrates.

Very bad idea. DVDShrink strips out the least significant bits until
the target bitrate is reached. While it's significantly faster than
truly re-encoding the video, the downside is the quality.

Encoding to 8k and then shrinking to 3k will give you lower quality
video than encoding directly to 3k.

--
-WD

rs

Double pass, VBR about 3,000. If you can encode your audio sparately into an
AC3 file you will save lots of space.

"Brendan Pratt" <bprattNOSPAM@overflow.net.au> wrote in message
> I'm trying to find out what the settings I need in Cinema Craft basic to
> get the best quality possible when trying for a 180minute DVD.
>
> Yeah, I know it's a bit of a oxymoron "quality" and "180minute DVD", the
> need arises where you only want the 180 minutes on only one dvd, rather
> than 2, and are prepared to accept the resultant loss of quality with
> it, however would like to get the best quality possible in this situation.
>
> Thanks !

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:00:02 -0500, Will Dormann
<wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>coolmercy wrote:
>> My idea would be to convert the entire material at 8K or even higher,
>> then let DVDshrink do the automatic fitting for DVDafter deep
>> analysis. I'm pretty sure you'll then get better quality instead of
>> decoding at 3 or so K. It's the way I've been working with in past
>> months and results are more than pretty good, even in high motion
>> areas where you soon get block noise at low bitrates.
>
>Very bad idea. DVDShrink strips out the least significant bits until
>the target bitrate is reached. While it's significantly faster than
>truly re-encoding the video, the downside is the quality.

Technically and objectively spoken you may be right but there's also
the subjective matter of personal quality ratings. Last year I
captured a 100 min. ice speed skating race to be authored to DVD.
Because of the high motion areas, i.e. a pack of 60-70 skaters going
at 40 km/h around the corners of a 400m track, I decided to set
bitrate in TMPGenc to 8K and divide the material into two sections, 50
min. each per disk. Following my aforementioned experiences with
DVDshrink this year I decided to encode the full 100 min. of this
year's tournament on 8.5K with CCE, shrink it to be fit onto 1 disk
and noticed hardly any significant differences between the sectioned
discs and the full one. But again, it may be a personal matter 'though
I do not believe my eyes and tv set are that bad.
BTW: I do capture in PAL and maybe capturing and processing of NTSC
material may show more limits regarding the final results, dunno...
Oh, and I do use quite a strong but effective filter chain in
VirtualDub to eliminate video noise.

Regards,

Peter van der Sluis
Pijnacker, The Netherlands

RS said the following on 6/01/2005 2:42 AM:
> Double pass, VBR about 3,000. If you can encode your audio sparately into an
> AC3 file you will save lots of space.

Sounds like the right deal for me. :)

Thanks everyone else for your responses.