CC encoder settings for best 180minute dvd

I'm trying to find out what the settings I need in Cinema Craft basic to
get the best quality possible when trying for a 180minute DVD.

Yeah, I know it's a bit of a oxymoron "quality" and "180minute DVD", the
need arises where you only want the 180 minutes on only one dvd, rather
than 2, and are prepared to accept the resultant loss of quality with
it, however would like to get the best quality possible in this situation.

Thanks !
6 answers Last reply
More about encoder settings 180minute

    Brendan Pratt wrote:
    > I'm trying to find out what the settings I need in Cinema Craft basic to
    > get the best quality possible when trying for a 180minute DVD.

    I don't use CC, but if I set up an average bitrate of 3,000,000 bps and
    use a resolution of Half D1, the results are quite nice. I filter all
    my input both spatially and temporally (with VirtualDub), so that lets
    the MPEG compression work the best.

    I'll get about 180 minutes plus space for a menu system on a DVD.

    --
    -WD

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:53:17 +1000, Brendan Pratt
    <bprattNOSPAM@overflow.net.au> wrote:

    >I'm trying to find out what the settings I need in Cinema Craft basic to
    >get the best quality possible when trying for a 180minute DVD.
    >
    >Yeah, I know it's a bit of a oxymoron "quality" and "180minute DVD", the
    >need arises where you only want the 180 minutes on only one dvd, rather
    >than 2, and are prepared to accept the resultant loss of quality with
    >it, however would like to get the best quality possible in this situation.
    >
    >Thanks !

    My idea would be to convert the entire material at 8K or even higher,
    then let DVDshrink do the automatic fitting for DVDafter deep
    analysis. I'm pretty sure you'll then get better quality instead of
    decoding at 3 or so K. It's the way I've been working with in past
    months and results are more than pretty good, even in high motion
    areas where you soon get block noise at low bitrates.

    Peter van der Sluis
    Pijnacker, The Netherlands

    coolmercy wrote:
    > My idea would be to convert the entire material at 8K or even higher,
    > then let DVDshrink do the automatic fitting for DVDafter deep
    > analysis. I'm pretty sure you'll then get better quality instead of
    > decoding at 3 or so K. It's the way I've been working with in past
    > months and results are more than pretty good, even in high motion
    > areas where you soon get block noise at low bitrates.

    Very bad idea. DVDShrink strips out the least significant bits until
    the target bitrate is reached. While it's significantly faster than
    truly re-encoding the video, the downside is the quality.

    Encoding to 8k and then shrinking to 3k will give you lower quality
    video than encoding directly to 3k.

    --
    -WD

    Double pass, VBR about 3,000. If you can encode your audio sparately into an
    AC3 file you will save lots of space.

    "Brendan Pratt" <bprattNOSPAM@overflow.net.au> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to find out what the settings I need in Cinema Craft basic to
    > get the best quality possible when trying for a 180minute DVD.
    >
    > Yeah, I know it's a bit of a oxymoron "quality" and "180minute DVD", the
    > need arises where you only want the 180 minutes on only one dvd, rather
    > than 2, and are prepared to accept the resultant loss of quality with
    > it, however would like to get the best quality possible in this situation.
    >
    > Thanks !

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:00:02 -0500, Will Dormann
    <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

    >coolmercy wrote:
    >> My idea would be to convert the entire material at 8K or even higher,
    >> then let DVDshrink do the automatic fitting for DVDafter deep
    >> analysis. I'm pretty sure you'll then get better quality instead of
    >> decoding at 3 or so K. It's the way I've been working with in past
    >> months and results are more than pretty good, even in high motion
    >> areas where you soon get block noise at low bitrates.
    >
    >Very bad idea. DVDShrink strips out the least significant bits until
    >the target bitrate is reached. While it's significantly faster than
    >truly re-encoding the video, the downside is the quality.

    Technically and objectively spoken you may be right but there's also
    the subjective matter of personal quality ratings. Last year I
    captured a 100 min. ice speed skating race to be authored to DVD.
    Because of the high motion areas, i.e. a pack of 60-70 skaters going
    at 40 km/h around the corners of a 400m track, I decided to set
    bitrate in TMPGenc to 8K and divide the material into two sections, 50
    min. each per disk. Following my aforementioned experiences with
    DVDshrink this year I decided to encode the full 100 min. of this
    year's tournament on 8.5K with CCE, shrink it to be fit onto 1 disk
    and noticed hardly any significant differences between the sectioned
    discs and the full one. But again, it may be a personal matter 'though
    I do not believe my eyes and tv set are that bad.
    BTW: I do capture in PAL and maybe capturing and processing of NTSC
    material may show more limits regarding the final results, dunno...
    Oh, and I do use quite a strong but effective filter chain in
    VirtualDub to eliminate video noise.

    Regards,

    Peter van der Sluis
    Pijnacker, The Netherlands

    RS said the following on 6/01/2005 2:42 AM:
    > Double pass, VBR about 3,000. If you can encode your audio sparately into an
    > AC3 file you will save lots of space.

    Sounds like the right deal for me. :)

    Thanks everyone else for your responses.

    > "Brendan Pratt" <bprattNOSPAM@overflow.net.au> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm trying to find out what the settings I need in Cinema Craft basic to
    >>get the best quality possible when trying for a 180minute DVD.

Tuner Cards DVD Desktops Video Graphics