Buried Video Segments

In my travels around the Internet, I'll often come across a video clip
that is quite large, yet only displays a few seconds of video. Futzing
around with the file, I discover other sequences buried within the
file. Sorry, I don't know the proper terminology for this, but is there
a way to extract the video segments so they all play linearly. Some
utility, perhaps, for OS X Macs?

-F
6 answers Last reply
More about buried video segments

    fleemo17@comcast.net wrote:
    > In my travels around the Internet, I'll often come across a video
    clip
    > that is quite large, yet only displays a few seconds of video.
    Futzing
    > around with the file, I discover other sequences buried within the
    > file. Sorry, I don't know the proper terminology for this, but is
    there
    > a way to extract the video segments so they all play linearly. Some
    > utility, perhaps, for OS X Macs?
    >
    > -F

    As far as I know a video file should play the entire sequence.

    It is certainly possible to create a file and attempt to conceal
    something else in it but some of these require a special program to
    decrypt.

    Some video formats are very large per minute duration.
    Can you post an example ?

    Let me clarify, the "hidden tracks" aren't secret messages from Russian
    spies or anything. It's basically like they took a five-minute video
    clip and somehow stacked 'em in minute-long segments. I can only play
    the first minute of the MPG file using QuickTime's player, but
    sometimes (don't ask me how) I jump to the next minute's worth of
    video.

    I noticed in the MPG file's info that it was "muxed" or something like
    that. Does that offer a clue?

    Sure, I could post an example next time I come across one, but I'd have
    to see your ID first. ;)

    -F

    >It could just be a corrupted file, does the slider on the video player
    just stop for no reason?<

    No, it moves along the full length of the window like you'd expect,
    doesn't just stop in the middle. But it'll only play, like, a minute.
    The file will be, say, 54 megabytes or so but only play a minute's
    worth of video. That's my first clue. If I fiddle with the slider,
    holding down some obscure combination of the Option and Control keys, I
    can eventually get it to skip to the next segment. Somehow I don't
    think it's corrupted, but intentionally saved in this way. :\
    Just what is a "muxed" MPG file, anyway?

    -Fleemo

    have a look at this link - it discusses multiplexed mpeg .

    http://listproc.ucdavis.edu/archives/digvid-l/digvid-l.log9810/0190.html

    I was not thinking Russian Agent - I was thinking Porn.

    There used to be a method many years ago of hiding porn video on a
    normal tape. If customs played the tape they would get a short cartoon
    clip.

    I understand multiplexed but not in the contect of a video file.

    I first thought it might be a badly joined mpeg where the joined clips
    were not properly rewritten.

    If you import it into Moviemaker or something can you split the entire
    video and re-edit ?

    In article <1104884641.073328.94890@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    fleemo17@comcast.net says...

    --
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

Tuner Cards Desktops Video Internet Graphics