  • Internet
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2005 5:07:32 AM

In my travels around the Internet, I'll often come across a video clip
that is quite large, yet only displays a few seconds of video. Futzing
around with the file, I discover other sequences buried within the
file. Sorry, I don't know the proper terminology for this, but is there
a way to extract the video segments so they all play linearly. Some
utility, perhaps, for OS X Macs?

-F

More about : buried video segments

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 2:56:50 PM

fleemo17@comcast.net wrote:
> In my travels around the Internet, I'll often come across a video
clip
> that is quite large, yet only displays a few seconds of video.
Futzing
> around with the file, I discover other sequences buried within the
> file. Sorry, I don't know the proper terminology for this, but is
there
> a way to extract the video segments so they all play linearly. Some
> utility, perhaps, for OS X Macs?
>
> -F

As far as I know a video file should play the entire sequence.

It is certainly possible to create a file and attempt to conceal
something else in it but some of these require a special program to
decrypt.

Some video formats are very large per minute duration.
Can you post an example ?
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 7:24:01 PM

Let me clarify, the "hidden tracks" aren't secret messages from Russian
spies or anything. It's basically like they took a five-minute video
clip and somehow stacked 'em in minute-long segments. I can only play
the first minute of the MPG file using QuickTime's player, but
sometimes (don't ask me how) I jump to the next minute's worth of
video.

I noticed in the MPG file's info that it was "muxed" or something like
that. Does that offer a clue?

Sure, I could post an example next time I come across one, but I'd have
to see your ID first. ;)

-F
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 1:05:05 PM

>It could just be a corrupted file, does the slider on the video player
just stop for no reason?<

No, it moves along the full length of the window like you'd expect,
doesn't just stop in the middle. But it'll only play, like, a minute.
The file will be, say, 54 megabytes or so but only play a minute's
worth of video. That's my first clue. If I fiddle with the slider,
holding down some obscure combination of the Option and Control keys, I
can eventually get it to skip to the next segment. Somehow I don't
think it's corrupted, but intentionally saved in this way. :\
Just what is a "muxed" MPG file, anyway?

-Fleemo
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 4:05:05 PM

I was not thinking Russian Agent - I was thinking Porn.

There used to be a method many years ago of hiding porn video on a
normal tape. If customs played the tape they would get a short cartoon
clip.

I understand multiplexed but not in the contect of a video file.

I first thought it might be a badly joined mpeg where the joined clips
were not properly rewritten.

If you import it into Moviemaker or something can you split the entire
video and re-edit ?
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 6:18:08 PM

In article <1104884641.073328.94890@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,