Too Many Wireless Connections

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 26, 2004 12:51:02 PM

I have a centrino based laptop using a wireless router. The problem is that
there appears to be about 4 wireless connections in the area. I have a WEP
Key on my router and I am trying to force my laptop to see only my
connection. However it sometoimes tries to connect to the other open routers
and therefore I keep dropping my connections.

Is there anyway I can only look at my own router and ignore the others that
the computer tries to conecto to? I keep getting the flag in the sys tray
stating that there are more connections available and I have to click it to
choose my own. In the properties window for the connections I have deleted
other connections and only have mine in there.

More about : wireless connections

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 4:14:07 AM

Hi,

You should be able to restrict this by changing the setting for your
wireless connector. In the connector's properties, choose the Wireless
Netorks tab, then select the 'Advanced' button. Clear the check box to
"automatically connect to non-preferred networks". Then you should only
connect to the network you have configured properties for in you Wireless
Networks tab.

This is based on WinXP, using windows to configure settings. However,
regardless of what you're running the settings should be similar.

--
HTH,
=d=

Dana Brash
MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA

dbrash@gmail.com

"dsirjuesingh" <dsirjuesingh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a centrino based laptop using a wireless router. The problem is that
> there appears to be about 4 wireless connections in the area. I have a WEP
> Key on my router and I am trying to force my laptop to see only my
> connection. However it sometoimes tries to connect to the other open
> routers
> and therefore I keep dropping my connections.
>
> Is there anyway I can only look at my own router and ignore the others
> that
> the computer tries to conecto to? I keep getting the flag in the sys tray
> stating that there are more connections available and I have to click it
> choose my own. In the properties window for the connections I have deleted
> other connections and only have mine in there.
October 27, 2004 4:14:08 AM

Hi

The appearance of other connections does not mean much. The signal is the
Air and it crosses your Antenna whether you like it or Not.

If your system security set correctly you should be OK.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

!