Cutting very-noisy-room noise with Vegas 4?

I posted about this in Sony's Vegas Audio forum a couple days ago but
didn't get any response, so I thought I'd try here as well.

Last week I filmed an event in a building that was so big and echoey
that it sounded like being in an airport or something, the constant
background noise making it hard to hear what the speakers were
saying.

When I started editing I thought, gee, here I have all these audio
plug-ins -- I wonder if some one of them would be really good for
cleaning this kind of thing up, or if the noise is all too much in
the same frequency range as the voices, or what? Is there some
procedure that as a general rule would be good for toning down that
kind of background noise without cutting the quality of the speakers'
voices as well?

I've been doing a fair amount of video editing, but at this point
have zero experience with audio FX other than editing volume
envelopes, so the more spelled-out any advice would be the better!
--
Tane' Tachyon = tachyon@tachyonlabs.com = http://www.tachyonlabs.com/

The chances of completely pulling out the speakers versus the ambient noise
is probably slim, however, I'd start with the noise reduction and noise gate
plug ins. good luck.

rqo

Tane' Tachyon wrote:
> I posted about this in Sony's Vegas Audio forum a couple days ago but
> didn't get any response, so I thought I'd try here as well.

Try posting this on the Sony Vegas video forum instead. There are several
very knowledgeable audio guys that hang out there. Having said that though,
this is a really tough nut to crack, even for a skilled audio person. Good
luck with it.

Mike

> Last week I filmed an event in a building that was so big and echoey
> that it sounded like being in an airport or something, the constant
> background noise making it hard to hear what the speakers were
> saying.
>
> When I started editing I thought, gee, here I have all these audio
> plug-ins -- I wonder if some one of them would be really good for
> cleaning this kind of thing up, or if the noise is all too much in
> the same frequency range as the voices, or what? Is there some
> procedure that as a general rule would be good for toning down that
> kind of background noise without cutting the quality of the speakers'
> voices as well?
>
> I've been doing a fair amount of video editing, but at this point
> have zero experience with audio FX other than editing volume
> envelopes, so the more spelled-out any advice would be the better!

"Tane' Tachyon" wrote ...
>I posted about this in Sony's Vegas Audio forum a couple days ago but
>didn't get any response, so I thought I'd try here as well.
>
> Last week I filmed an event in a building that was so big and echoey
> that it sounded like being in an airport or something, the constant
> background noise making it hard to hear what the speakers were
> saying.
>
> When I started editing I thought, gee, here I have all these audio
> plug-ins -- I wonder if some one of them would be really good for
> cleaning this kind of thing up, or if the noise is all too much in
> the same frequency range as the voices, or what? Is there some
> procedure that as a general rule would be good for toning down that
> kind of background noise without cutting the quality of the speakers'
> voices as well?
>
> I've been doing a fair amount of video editing, but at this point
> have zero experience with audio FX other than editing volume
> envelopes, so the more spelled-out any advice would be the better!

Removing in-band noise from dialog tracks is nearly impossible.
With any software. (Assuming you don't have 10s of thousands
of $$$ budget to send the track out for professional tweaking)
Best you can likely do is to "gate" the track so that the noise
between phrases/words/sentences is reduced, but don't get your
expectations up.

You have experienced first-hand why it is so important to capture
clean audio at the source. Or else have a big budget for "looping"
(dialog replacement in post-production), or subtitling.

To see some of the factors involved in location scouting and production
recording, take a look at "The Letter" in one of these locations...
http://www.soundspeedmovie.com/resources/articles/coffey/openletter.html
http://www.recordingartsforum.com/TheOpenLetter.html

rs

Occasionaly I do weddings, and from time to time you get really anal clergy
who will not allow any microphones or cameras in the area. So, from time to
time I end up with a bit of the large church echo.

Best success I've had is to just noise gate it a bit, play with the EQ
curves a bit and then put a 2:1 compression on it.

One little device that has helped me out is a standard minidisk recorder.
They are tiny so I can hide one right in one of the floral displays and just
have the microphone peek out. On the con side, they record at 44Khz and I've
found that you get some sync drift after about 10 min. On the plus side, the
do record excellent quality and are far far cheaper than a DAT.

"Tane' Tachyon" <tachyon@tachyonlabs.com> wrote in message
> I posted about this in Sony's Vegas Audio forum a couple days ago but
> didn't get any response, so I thought I'd try here as well.
>
> Last week I filmed an event in a building that was so big and echoey
> that it sounded like being in an airport or something, the constant
> background noise making it hard to hear what the speakers were
> saying.
>
> When I started editing I thought, gee, here I have all these audio
> plug-ins -- I wonder if some one of them would be really good for
> cleaning this kind of thing up, or if the noise is all too much in
> the same frequency range as the voices, or what? Is there some
> procedure that as a general rule would be good for toning down that
> kind of background noise without cutting the quality of the speakers'
> voices as well?
>
> I've been doing a fair amount of video editing, but at this point
> have zero experience with audio FX other than editing volume
> envelopes, so the more spelled-out any advice would be the better!
> --
> Tane' Tachyon = tachyon@tachyonlabs.com = http://www.tachyonlabs.com/

Do like a lot of wedding videographers do and put the minidisk in the pocket
of the groom's tux.

Mike

RS wrote:
> Occasionaly I do weddings, and from time to time you get really anal
> clergy who will not allow any microphones or cameras in the area. So,
> from time to time I end up with a bit of the large church echo.
>
> Best success I've had is to just noise gate it a bit, play with the EQ
> curves a bit and then put a 2:1 compression on it.
>
> One little device that has helped me out is a standard minidisk
> recorder. They are tiny so I can hide one right in one of the floral
> displays and just have the microphone peek out. On the con side, they
> record at 44Khz and I've found that you get some sync drift after
> about 10 min. On the plus side, the do record excellent quality and
> are far far cheaper than a DAT.
>

> "Tane' Tachyon" <tachyon@tachyonlabs.com> wrote in message
>> I posted about this in Sony's Vegas Audio forum a couple days ago but
>> didn't get any response, so I thought I'd try here as well.
>>
>> Last week I filmed an event in a building that was so big and echoey
>> that it sounded like being in an airport or something, the constant
>> background noise making it hard to hear what the speakers were
>> saying.
>>
>> When I started editing I thought, gee, here I have all these audio
>> plug-ins -- I wonder if some one of them would be really good for
>> cleaning this kind of thing up, or if the noise is all too much in
>> the same frequency range as the voices, or what? Is there some
>> procedure that as a general rule would be good for toning down that
>> kind of background noise without cutting the quality of the speakers'
>> voices as well?
>>
>> I've been doing a fair amount of video editing, but at this point
>> have zero experience with audio FX other than editing volume
>> envelopes, so the more spelled-out any advice would be the better!
>> --
>> Tane' Tachyon = tachyon@tachyonlabs.com = http://www.tachyonlabs.com/

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Tane' Tachyon <tachyon@tachyonlabs.com> wrote:

>I posted about this in Sony's Vegas Audio forum a couple days ago but
>didn't get any response, so I thought I'd try here as well.
>
>Last week I filmed an event in a building that was so big and echoey
>that it sounded like being in an airport or something, the constant
>background noise making it hard to hear what the speakers were
>saying.
>
>When I started editing I thought, gee, here I have all these audio
>plug-ins -- I wonder if some one of them would be really good for
>cleaning this kind of thing up, or if the noise is all too much in
>the same frequency range as the voices, or what? Is there some
>procedure that as a general rule would be good for toning down that
>kind of background noise without cutting the quality of the speakers'
>voices as well?
>
>I've been doing a fair amount of video editing, but at this point
>have zero experience with audio FX other than editing volume
>envelopes, so the more spelled-out any advice would be the better!

You have a difficult challenge.
In a professional situation they would get someone to over dub what is
being said. You might be able to create sub titles down the bottom of
what the speaker is saying.
The way to overcome this problem is to use a suitable microphone or be
able to put a microphone close to the speaker and have audio
transmitted to the camera.
If you have earphones output on your camera you can check on the
sound.

Regards Brian

rs

With a good lapel mike that would work nicely. Once had a guy tell him his
horror story about the groom with sweaty hands who kept rubbing them on the
side of his tux and turned the MD off.

Tane' Tachyon wrote:

> Last week I filmed an event in a building that was so big and echoey
> that it sounded like being in an airport or something, the constant
> background noise making it hard to hear what the speakers were
> saying.
> [...]

Thank you to everyone who replied! I just downloaded a trial version
of Sony's Noise Reduction 2.0 and am trying that out.
--
Tane' Tachyon = tachyon@tachyonlabs.com = http://www.tachyonlabs.com/

TRENDING THREADS