Premiere 6.5 (PC) constantly creating video and audio bugs..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2005 12:26:46 AM

Hello everyone,

I've been using Premiere 6.5 (for PC) for over a year now and have created
several videos with it. I recently got a new computer. Before that my
computer was just powerful enough for Premiere, but barely. I had many
problems, like Premiere would crash randomly during capture (usually after 5
to 45 minutes), it didn't always succeed as rendering a clip, it created
brief but annoying video glitches, especially when I used transitions or
messed with brightness/gamma/contrast/etc., that sort of thing. It could be
infuriating, because I often had to try again and again. It made simple jobs
take a lot longer than they should. But in the end it worked.

I thought a new, more powerful computer would take care of my problems. I
was wrong. Oh, the job gets done much faster than on my old computer, and I
can capture as much as I want without Premire crashing. But it still fails
rendering jobs for no reason from time to time, and there are still video
bugs. At least I don't have to wait as long before starting over. Still, it
appears that the problems I've been having all this time aren't all due to
my processing power. It's like Premiere itself isn't very stable, even on a
fairly powerful computer. Which is a shame, because otherwise it's a very
nice piece of software that has served me fairly well until now.

Now, I could live with this imperfect situation, but a few days ago things
took a turn for the worst. For some reason, Premiere is now totally
incapable of creating an AVI clip without inserting not only video, but also
audio glitches. For video it's like big blotches of large, multicolored
pixels. It only lasts a fraction of a second, but it's enough to ruin a
clip. I used to get those before, but now it's constant. As for audio, it's
a loud PSSSSHHHHH! sound that can last for as long as a second. I used to
have those before but very rarely, and usually at the very beginning of a
clip. Now I can't create a 3-minute AVI without getting a video bug, an
audio bug, or most often, both at the same time. No matter how many times I
try to produce an AVI, I always get at least one bug like this. I once
worked 8 hour on a single damn 4-minute clip, and it never got it right. By
the way, the glitches are really produced when a clip is rendered from a
captured AVI. They don't show in the original captured footage. Also, while
these tended to happen right after a transition on my old computer, they can
now appear anywhere.

Another problem that I didn't use to have is that when I capture from my
camcorder, every few minutes the sound gets dropped for a single frame. This
affects the original captured footage, not just the rendered clips, and it's
random. It's extremely brief of course (1/30 of a second), but it's
noticeable. I'm quite sure it's not caused by my camcorder, and I've never
experienced this until recently. It's not a video killer like the video and
loud audio bugs, but it's somewhat annoying, and it's an additional sign
that something is very wrong with Premiere or my computer. I mean, this
started happening pretty much at the same time Premiere started being
incapable of rendering an AVI without problems.

I should point out that I didn't have these problems when I changed my
computer. For the first several weeks it worked just fine. Well, with a few
problems like I said, but not constantly like now. It seems to have happened
a few days ago. Clips that I produced successfully a couple of weeks ago are
now bug-ridden if I try them again.

I've tried everything I could think of to get around the problem. I tried
producing a clip several times from the same footage, hoping it would manage
it at least once. I tried recapturing the footage from the MiniDV tape and
rendering a new clip from the freshly captured material. I tried building
clips a bit at a time. I tried producing a clip with glitches and then
reproducing it after splicing out the glitches. I tried sending a timeline
directly to my camcorder without producing it first. I scanned my computer
for viruses. I defragmented all of my partitions. I uninstalled and
reinstalled Premiere. Nothing works. I still can't produce a single AVI file
with Premiere.

I've no idea whatsoever what could be the cause. I mean, until a few days
ago I could still use Premiere just fine. Oh, it wasn't 100% reliable, but
it still managed to work eventually. What happened that screwed up Premiere?
Or, what happened to my computer that makes Premiere even more unstable than
before all of a sudden? I don't remember doing anything special to my
computer recently. And why would Premiere in particular be affected like
that? Like I said, I tried reinstalling it, thinking maybe it got corrupted.
But it didn't fix the problem at all. It's like my computer doesn't like
Premiere anymore.

It's funny, I never had problems like this with my old VideoWave4, which I
used before I got Premiere. Oh, VW4 used to annoy me for other reasons, but
it never failed to produce an AVI and never created video or audio bugs.
It's still working just fine (to a point), and at the moment that's what I'm
using to produce short clips until I find a solution to my Premiere problem.
If my computer doesn't have a problem with VW4, why would Premiere 6.5,
supposedly a significantly more advanced program, would give me so much
trouble? And I don't just mean the catastrophic situation I'm experiencing
now. I also mean the fact that it was never totally stable. I've never been
able to apply brightness/contrast/etc changes without problems, for
instance, though VW4 can.

Sorry about the length of my post, but I didn't want to forget anything
potentially relevant. Oh, while I'm at it, my current computer is an Intel
3.0 GHz with 1 GB of RAM and and a Radeon 9800 Pro card (128 MB), running
under Windows XP. Obviously the problems aren't due to lack of power.

Anyway, I'm very worried that I may never figure out what's wrong and may
have to switch to another program, even though I'm sure there isn't anything
wrong with Premiere per se. But I'm hoping someone may have an idea what's
going on. I'd be very grateful for any advice. Thank you in advance.

Francois

P.S. I tell you, there are times when I really wish I were a Mac person.
Video would be so much simpler.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:21:06 AM

"François Arsenault" wrote ...
> I've been using Premiere 6.5 (for PC) for over a year now and have
> created
> several videos with it. I recently got a new computer. Before that my
> computer was just powerful enough for Premiere, but barely. I had many
> problems, like Premiere would crash randomly during capture (usually
> after 5
> to 45 minutes), it didn't always succeed as rendering a clip, it
> created
> brief but annoying video glitches, especially when I used transitions
> or
> messed with brightness/gamma/contrast/etc., that sort of thing. It
> could be
> infuriating, because I often had to try again and again. It made
> simple jobs
> take a lot longer than they should. But in the end it worked.
>
> I thought a new, more powerful computer would take care of my
> problems. I
> was wrong. Oh, the job gets done much faster than on my old computer,
> and I
> can capture as much as I want without Premire crashing. But it still
> fails
> rendering jobs for no reason from time to time, and there are still
> video
> bugs. At least I don't have to wait as long before starting over.
> Still, it
> appears that the problems I've been having all this time aren't all
> due to
> my processing power. It's like Premiere itself isn't very stable, even
> on a
> fairly powerful computer. Which is a shame, because otherwise it's a
> very
> nice piece of software that has served me fairly well until now.
> Sorry about the length of my post, but I didn't want to forget
> anything
> potentially relevant. Oh, while I'm at it, my current computer is an
> Intel
> 3.0 GHz with 1 GB of RAM and and a Radeon 9800 Pro card (128 MB),
> running
> under Windows XP. Obviously the problems aren't due to lack of power.

Except that you didn't mention what you are using to capture video
(are we to assume it is the Radeon?) Frankly, all the problems you
are having sound much more like hardware problems than software.
Many of us have used Premiere for many years through several versions
on dozens of computers and have NEVER seen such artifacts, even once.

> Anyway, I'm very worried that I may never figure out what's wrong and
> may
> have to switch to another program, even though I'm sure there isn't
> anything
> wrong with Premiere per se. But I'm hoping someone may have an idea
> what's
> going on. I'd be very grateful for any advice. Thank you in advance.

I'd bet that if you were capturing video with something like the
ultra-reliable Canopus ADVC-100 and a cheap $15 Firewire card,
you'd likely see all these artifacts disappear.

> P.S. I tell you, there are times when I really wish I were a Mac
> person. Video would be so much simpler.

Don't kid yourself. The Mac/FCP crowd live in their own little
private hell. Pride keeps them from talking about the problems
out of school. Ask "nappy" who hangs around these newsgroups.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:23:48 PM

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

> Except that you didn't mention what you are using to capture video
> (are we to assume it is the Radeon?)

I capture through the Firewire card. Is that wrong? I'm not even sure how to
do it through my video card. Never tried, anyway.

> Frankly, all the problems you
> are having sound much more like hardware problems than software.
> Many of us have used Premiere for many years through several versions
> on dozens of computers and have NEVER seen such artifacts, even once.

I'd like to point out that I'm not, in any way, putting down Premiere. I
know it's an excellent piece of software, and I know my situation is an
exception. I really wish it was working normally for me, because I want it
to be my main video editing tool. But no matter how good Premiere is and no
matter how I like it, it doesn't change the fact that it doesn't work
properly on my computer right now. I don't know why, I know it's not normal,
but it's the truth, and I'm trying to figure out what the problem is.

Also, if hardware is the problem, how come I had basically the same problems
with my old computer than with my current one? It was an entirely different
system. I didn't recycle a single component. Well, besides my Pioneer A06
DVD-RW burner, but how can that be the source of the problem? And why did
the problem suddenly become a lot worse a few days ago?

> I'd bet that if you were capturing video with something like the
> ultra-reliable Canopus ADVC-100 and a cheap $15 Firewire card,
> you'd likely see all these artifacts disappear.

I'm not quite sure how that would fix the problem, since capture is usually
the least of my problems. Oh, it used the be a bit quirky on my old
computer, but it worked in the end if I was careful. And yes, I do have a
tiny little problem with the audio for single frames being dropped from time
to time now, but it's very minor, and I didn't have that until a few days
ago. Capture isn't my main problem. It's rendering. I mean, I don't see how
the capture process can cause glitches when I create an AVI file.

> Don't kid yourself. The Mac/FCP crowd live in their own little
> private hell. Pride keeps them from talking about the problems
> out of school. Ask "nappy" who hangs around these newsgroups.

Oh, well, I guess we all have our problems, including Mac owners. Though
they really don't talk about them much, do they?

Francois
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 8:34:25 PM

What capture solution are you using? And in regard to your statement
concerning using a Mac for editing here's a little clip for you.
http://digitalvideosolutons.com/video/usingamac.wmv Detail your capture
settings and your export settings. I personally have never heard of having
these types of problems, especially on two different systems.
--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

"François Arsenault" <francoisa@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> [...]
been
> able to apply brightness/contrast/etc changes without problems, for
> instance, though VW4 can.
>
> Sorry about the length of my post, but I didn't want to forget anything
> potentially relevant. Oh, while I'm at it, my current computer is an Intel
> 3.0 GHz with 1 GB of RAM and and a Radeon 9800 Pro card (128 MB), running
> under Windows XP. Obviously the problems aren't due to lack of power.
>
> Anyway, I'm very worried that I may never figure out what's wrong and may
> have to switch to another program, even though I'm sure there isn't
anything
> wrong with Premiere per se. But I'm hoping someone may have an idea what's
> going on. I'd be very grateful for any advice. Thank you in advance.
>
> Francois
>
> P.S. I tell you, there are times when I really wish I were a Mac person.

January 5, 2005 9:32:00 PM

"Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutions.com> wrote:

> What capture solution are you using?

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean what I use to capture footage from
the camcorder? Just an ordinary FireWire card. But I'm not sure what capture
has to do with my main problem, which is the glitches that appear in the AVI
files that I render. I can live with having occasional problems capturing
footage (though I do wish I ddin't have any). It's the glitches that really
makes using Premiere an impossibility right now.

> And in regard to your statement concerning using a Mac for
> editing here's a little clip for you.
> http://digitalvideosolutons.com/video/usingamac.wmv

Oh, uh, I'm very sorry, but the link doesn't appear to work at the moment,
though maybe it's just me.

> I personally have never heard of having
> these types of problems, especially on two different systems.

Unfortunately, neither have I, which makes an easy fix next to impossible.
No one seems to know what's my problem. Oh, I get some good suggestions, but
no one has been able to tell me "Oh yeah, I used to have the very same
problem. Here's how you fix it".

Francois
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 4:12:51 AM

I must have gone dislexic when typing the link, it's;
http://digitalvideosolutions.com/video/usingamac.wmv

"Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutions.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> >
> > Sorry about the length of my post, but I didn't want to forget anything
> > potentially relevant. Oh, while I'm at it, my current computer is an
Intel
> > 3.0 GHz with 1 GB of RAM and and a Radeon 9800 Pro card (128 MB),
running
> > under Windows XP. Obviously the problems aren't due to lack of power.
> >
> > Anyway, I'm very worried that I may never figure out what's wrong and
may
> > have to switch to another program, even though I'm sure there isn't
> anything
> > wrong with Premiere per se. But I'm hoping someone may have an idea
what's
> > going on. I'd be very grateful for any advice. Thank you in advance.
> >
> > Francois
> >
> > P.S. I tell you, there are times when I really wish I were a Mac person.

January 7, 2005 1:06:34 AM

"Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutions.com> wrote:

> I must have gone dislexic when typing the link, it's;
> http://digitalvideosolutions.com/video/usingamac.wmv

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Oh man, that was absolutely hilarious! I feel much
better about using a PC now. Thank you so much for referring me to this
great clip!

Take care

Francois
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 5:16:31 AM

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 18:32:00 -0500, "François Arsenault"
<francoisa@sympatico.ca> wrote:

<snip>

>No one seems to know what's my problem. Oh, I get some good suggestions, but
>no one has been able to tell me "Oh yeah, I used to have the very same
>problem. Here's how you fix it".

Haven't had the exact same problem, but glitches I have seen in much
the same way as you, it seems.
I was making 768x576 PAL MJPEG video files with Premiere 6.5, and they
would often contain random 1-2 frame glitches with garbage.
I remember cutting and rerendering and rekeying and despairing.
The glitches disappeared, and have never come back, when I changed
the audio from 22050 kHz to 44100 kHz.
I really don't know why that happened, and I can't tell you how to fix
your problem, but it might be a good idea to try different
codecs/settings and see if the glitches persist, if you haven't
already.

Regards
Harald H
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 5:16:32 AM

"Harald Holmqvist" <harre@algonettakeawaythis.se> wrote:

> Haven't had the exact same problem, but glitches I have seen in much
> the same way as you, it seems.
> I was making 768x576 PAL MJPEG video files with Premiere 6.5, and they
> would often contain random 1-2 frame glitches with garbage.

Exactly! In my case it's mostly when rendring AVI files, but what you
describe is exactly what I get, at least in terms of videos glitches, as I
also get audio glitches now. It's very short, about 1 or 2 frames, a big
blotch of big multicolored squares (garbage indeed). Even though it doesn't
last long it's still enough that you can't miss it, and it's enough to ruin
a clip if you intend to do something serious with it. Actually, I'd also
find it very annoying even if it were only for my personal use. I'm
currently trying to produce material for sale, so the glitches aren't very
good for the professional image. I simply can't tolerate them. They used to
happen only occasionally (except when modifying the picture in a significant
way, like adjusting gamma or something), but now it's all the time. Loud
audio static glitches too.

> I remember cutting and rerendering and rekeying and despairing.

I did the same. Before my problem got worse a week or so ago I mostly got
such glitches when modifying the footage is some way, like when adding
transitions or messing with brightness/contrast/etc. You know, stuff that
made the processor work a bit harder than basic rendering. With transitions
it typically happened during or right after a transition, like that
particular addition was too much for my computer. With picture adjustments I
had a very hard time producing a clip lasting a fewe minutes without a video
glitch appearing at random. So what I did was take the resulting clip, cut
out the few bad frames and splice everything back together. Since no other
modifications were involved my computer usually managed it. Some times you
could notice the missing frames, especially when it was 2 or 3, but that's
something I could live with. Just a slight skip. Much better than getting it
completely right after 10 agonizing hours of trying again and again and
again. I tell you, things got very tense when I checked my clips, spending
excruciatingly long minutes praying I wouldn't see a damn glitch. Man, the
frustration when I finally saw one after several minutes. In any case, while
I could get the job done in the end (unlike my current situation), it did
mean that I couldn't trust my computer, so like I suggested earlier I had to
check each and every clip in real time to make sure it was glitch free. What
a pain.

> The glitches disappeared, and have never come back, when I changed
> the audio from 22050 kHz to 44100 kHz.
> I really don't know why that happened, and I can't tell you how to fix
> your problem, but it might be a good idea to try different
> codecs/settings and see if the glitches persist, if you haven't
> already.

Well, a few people have been suggesting that the fact that I lack a sound
card, using the motherboard's audio capabilities instead, may be part of the
problem. I don't have a card now and my old computer didn't either, and
besides Premiere there are several other little problems I've been having
other the last 3 years or so that seemed to be licked to audio in some way,
without me knowing exactly what was causing them. So getting a dedicated
sound card may help. If it doesn't fix my Premiere problem it might still
help in other ways.

Thank you for your post!

Francois
!