No Internet access with VPN

I am not too clear why, but once I make a VPN connection that PC can no
longer access internet at the same time until the VPN connection is
terminated. Is this normal?

--
Pavel
4 answers Last reply

    Pavel wrote:
    > I am not too clear why, but once I make a VPN connection that PC can
    > no longer access internet at the same time until the VPN connection is
    > terminated. Is this normal?

    Yes, depending on how your VPN access is set up. Are you using PPTP? Can you
    check the "use remote gateway" option so you can get to the internet via the
    VPN tunnel established?

    For (obvious) network security reasons, it's not uncommon (or unwise) for a
    VPN connection to disable all non-VPN-connection access while the tunnel is
    in use.

    Yes I am using PPTP.

    I can not find the 'use remote gateway setting. Can you please point me to
    the right place?

    --
    Pavel

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > Pavel wrote:
    >> I am not too clear why, but once I make a VPN connection that PC can
    >> no longer access internet at the same time until the VPN connection is
    >> terminated. Is this normal?
    >
    > Yes, depending on how your VPN access is set up. Are you using PPTP? Can
    > you
    > check the "use remote gateway" option so you can get to the internet via
    > the
    > VPN tunnel established?
    >
    > For (obvious) network security reasons, it's not uncommon (or unwise) for
    > VPN connection to disable all non-VPN-connection access while the tunnel
    > is
    > in use.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg1003.mspx

    Note your office/work network administrators may consider this a security risk. You might contact
    them first about this issue...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u0ufbJGuEHA.2072@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Yes I am using PPTP.
    >
    > I can not find the 'use remote gateway setting. Can you please point me to the right place?
    >
    > --
    > Pavel
    >

    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
    > message news:u3vN34EuEHA.1472@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> Pavel wrote:
    >>> I am not too clear why, but once I make a VPN connection that PC can
    >>> no longer access internet at the same time until the VPN connection is
    >>> terminated. Is this normal?
    >>
    >> Yes, depending on how your VPN access is set up. Are you using PPTP? Can you
    >> check the "use remote gateway" option so you can get to the internet via the
    >> VPN tunnel established?
    >>
    >> For (obvious) network security reasons, it's not uncommon (or unwise) for a
    >> VPN connection to disable all non-VPN-connection access while the tunnel is
    >> in use.

    I am the administrator. Thank you for the tip....it now works the way I want
    it.

    --
    Pavel

    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg1003.mspx
    >
    > Note your office/work network administrators may consider this a security
    > risk. You might contact them first about this issue...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >
    > "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes I am using PPTP.
    >>
    >> I can not find the 'use remote gateway setting. Can you please point me
    >> to the right place?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Pavel
    >>

    >> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    >> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
    >> message news:u3vN34EuEHA.1472@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >>>
    >>> Yes, depending on how your VPN access is set up. Are you using PPTP? Can
    >>> you
    >>> check the "use remote gateway" option so you can get to the internet via
    >>> the
    >>> VPN tunnel established?
    >>>
    >>> For (obvious) network security reasons, it's not uncommon (or unwise)
    >>> for a
    >>> VPN connection to disable all non-VPN-connection access while the tunnel
    >>> is
    >>> in use.

Internet Access Connection VPN Windows XP