No Internet access with VPN

October 22, 2004 12:35:23 PM

I am not too clear why, but once I make a VPN connection that PC can no
longer access internet at the same time until the VPN connection is
terminated. Is this normal?

--
Pavel

More about : internet access vpn

Anonymous
October 22, 2004 3:44:43 PM

Pavel wrote:
> I am not too clear why, but once I make a VPN connection that PC can
> no longer access internet at the same time until the VPN connection is
> terminated. Is this normal?

Yes, depending on how your VPN access is set up. Are you using PPTP? Can you
check the "use remote gateway" option so you can get to the internet via the
VPN tunnel established?

For (obvious) network security reasons, it's not uncommon (or unwise) for a
VPN connection to disable all non-VPN-connection access while the tunnel is
in use.
October 22, 2004 3:44:44 PM

Yes I am using PPTP.

I can not find the 'use remote gateway setting. Can you please point me to
the right place?

--
Pavel

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Pavel wrote:
>> I am not too clear why, but once I make a VPN connection that PC can
>> no longer access internet at the same time until the VPN connection is
>> terminated. Is this normal?
>
> Yes, depending on how your VPN access is set up. Are you using PPTP? Can
> you
> check the "use remote gateway" option so you can get to the internet via
> the
> VPN tunnel established?
>
> For (obvious) network security reasons, it's not uncommon (or unwise) for
> VPN connection to disable all non-VPN-connection access while the tunnel
> is
> in use.

October 22, 2004 6:53:26 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...

Note your office/work network administrators may consider this a security risk. You might contact
them first about this issue...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u0ufbJGuEHA.2072@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Yes I am using PPTP.
>
> I can not find the 'use remote gateway setting. Can you please point me to the right place?
>
> --
> Pavel
>

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
> message news:u3vN34EuEHA.1472@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Pavel wrote:
>>> I am not too clear why, but once I make a VPN connection that PC can
>>> no longer access internet at the same time until the VPN connection is
>>> terminated. Is this normal?
>>
>> Yes, depending on how your VPN access is set up. Are you using PPTP? Can you
>> check the "use remote gateway" option so you can get to the internet via the
>> VPN tunnel established?
>>
>> For (obvious) network security reasons, it's not uncommon (or unwise) for a
>> VPN connection to disable all non-VPN-connection access while the tunnel is
>> in use.

October 22, 2004 9:19:18 PM

I am the administrator. Thank you for the tip....it now works the way I want
it.

--
Pavel

news:o P%232MDHuEHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...