If Win98 limits you to 2 or 4 gigs, what about DVD files?

Why is it possible to create a 4.3 gig DVD if 98/98SE limits you to 2 or 4
gigs?
6 answers Last reply
More about win98 limits gigs files

    "Doc" <docsavage20@xyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Why is it possible to create a 4.3 gig DVD if 98/98SE limits you to 2 or 4
    > gigs?

    The VOB files which comprise most of the DVD may be limited to a maximum
    filesize of 1GB.

    Martin.

    Its not W98 per se. Rather its the Fat32 files system as opposed to the NTFS
    file system you would use on XP.

    "Doc" <docsavage20@xyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Why is it possible to create a 4.3 gig DVD if 98/98SE limits you to 2 or 4
    > gigs?

    While it is true that the default for DVD files is 1 GB per file, which should
    not be a problem with FAT32, if you create your own DVD movies, your DVD program
    might create a temp file bigger than the 4GB file size limit of FAT32. This
    happened to me with Ulead Movie Factory, which would mysteriously stop
    processing my DVD after hours of encoding. Since I had XP, I changed the program
    temp directory to an NTFS drive and this problem went away.

    Note, this won't be a problem with DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink and other DVD copy
    programs because they all utilize the standard 1GB file size.

    "RS" <idontthinkso@mail.com> wrote in message
    > Its not W98 per se. Rather its the Fat32 files system as opposed to the
    NTFS
    > file system you would use on XP.

    Yeah, except Win98 doesn't recognize NTFS which I recently found out the
    hard way.

    That is correctamundo.

    "Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "RS" <idontthinkso@mail.com> wrote in message
    > > Its not W98 per se. Rather its the Fat32 files system as opposed to the
    > NTFS
    > > file system you would use on XP.
    >
    > Yeah, except Win98 doesn't recognize NTFS which I recently found out the
    > hard way.

    On a sunny day (Wed, 5 Jan 2005 19:38:17 -0800) it happened "Randall P
    McMurphy" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in
    <f-6dnQ2CgvY3L0HcRVn-rA@comcast.com>:

    >While it is true that the default for DVD files is 1 GB per file, which should
    >not be a problem with FAT32, if you create your own DVD movies, your DVD program

    If you run Linux and use mkisofs, there can indeed be a 2 GB limit...
    http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2003/12/msg00101.html

    I found out when I tried to burn that large > 2GB DivX..
    This will be or is perhaps fixed? now.
    JP

Tuner Cards DVD Desktops Video Graphics