Soundforge showed video in Win98, doesn't in XP

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

When I fooled around with tweaking the sound track on avi files with
Soundforge on my Win98SE machine, I made the discovery that it actually
played the video in this segmented "video strip" at the top. However, it
isn't doing it in XP, says something about a missing codec or the like and
just displays hash marks. How/what do I need to add to get this function up
and running in XP?

Thanks for any assistance.
7 answers Last reply
More about soundforge showed video win98 doesn
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

    Doc wrote:
    > When I fooled around with tweaking the sound track on avi files with
    > Soundforge on my Win98SE machine, I made the discovery that it
    > actually played the video in this segmented "video strip" at the top.
    > However, it isn't doing it in XP, says something about a missing
    > codec or the like and just displays hash marks. How/what do I need to
    > add to get this function up and running in XP?
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.

    Is this a file from a digital camera? If so, you'll need to convert it to
    something else. I've had good luck using TMPGEnc and converting it to an
    mpeg or using VirtualDub and re-converting it to an avi using a codec like
    HuffYUV. HTH.

    Mike
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

    "Doc" wrote in message
    >It isn't doing it in XP, says something about a missing codec or the like
    and
    > just displays hash marks. How/what do I need to add to get this function
    up
    > and running in XP?

    What Ver of SF are you using? There are codecs available on the Sony Media
    site that might work. But that is a little ahead of the game. IF the Video
    file is the same one that played in Win98, try the following: Right click
    the SF Icon, choose the tab marked *Compatibility* and under *Compatibility
    Mode* check the box that says *Run this program....*, then choose the
    *Win98/ME* mode. Try that.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

    "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    > Is this a file from a digital camera?

    No, analog captured to avi.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

    "Nathan West" <natewest@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > "Doc" wrote in message
    > >It isn't doing it in XP, says something about a missing codec or the like
    > and
    > > just displays hash marks. How/what do I need to add to get this function
    > up
    > > and running in XP?
    >
    > What Ver of SF are you using?

    5.0

    > There are codecs available on the Sony Media
    > site that might work. But that is a little ahead of the game. IF the Video
    > file is the same one that played in Win98, try the following: Right click
    > the SF Icon, choose the tab marked *Compatibility* and under
    *Compatibility
    > Mode* check the box that says *Run this program....*, then choose the
    > *Win98/ME* mode. Try that.

    Will give it a try.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

    "Nathan West" <natewest@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > choose the tab marked *Compatibility* and under *Compatibility
    > Mode* check the box that says *Run this program....*, then choose the
    > *Win98/ME* mode. Try that.

    Nope, still gives the message "the video cannot be displayed because there
    is not a compatible decompressor on this computer"
  6. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

    Have you tried running the program in Compatibility mode? If you haven't
    tried, or are unfamiliar. Navigate to the folder where Sound Forge exists,
    find the programs' .exe file, right click on it and from the Compatibility
    tab choose Windows 98. If you are using the exact same capture card as you
    did in 98 it should work, unless there was some update to the driver for XP
    in which case running the Sound Forge in compatibility mode may not help at
    all.

    "Doc" <docsavage20@xyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > When I fooled around with tweaking the sound track on avi files with
    > Soundforge on my Win98SE machine, I made the discovery that it actually
    > played the video in this segmented "video strip" at the top. However, it
    > isn't doing it in XP, says something about a missing codec or the like and
    > just displays hash marks. How/what do I need to add to get this function
    up
    > and running in XP?
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.

  7. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

    Thats a bit strange really. It 'should' play.

    I assume you can play this same video file otherwise? If not, well, there
    you go. You would then have an Avi file encoded in a format for which you
    don't have the codec. Try SF with another video file that you know for a
    fact you can view normally.

    If you want to find out the codec used on a file, get a nice little bit of
    freeware called gspot. http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    If this is not the case, then I'm stumped. It should just show the video.
    Believe you can also set a window down at the lower right to monitor video
    as well.

    "Doc" <docsavage20@xyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > When I fooled around with tweaking the sound track on avi files with
    > Soundforge on my Win98SE machine, I made the discovery that it actually
    > played the video in this segmented "video strip" at the top. However, it
    > isn't doing it in XP, says something about a missing codec or the like and
    > just displays hash marks. How/what do I need to add to get this function
    up
    > and running in XP?
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.

Tuner Cards Video Windows XP Graphics