Remote connection via Belkin Router

I have windows xp home at home and in my office. I want to connect to the
office from home. At the office I have broadband via a Belkin router. I also
have broadband at home. I have a static ip address at the office from my ISP.
I have not got a clue how to set it all up and would appreciate some help.

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about remote connection belkin router

    Since your running XP Home on both the office and home PCs then XP Pro Remote Desktop is not an
    option.

    Other options include either a PPTP VPN tunnel or a program like UltraVNC. It simply depends on your
    needs.

    If you want to fully access/control the office desktop from home, transfer files back and forth,
    etc, then UltraVNC with *AND* the encryption plug-in would work well for that. You can get the
    server and client software from...

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

    On the Belkin router at work forward TCP Port 5900 to the private LAN IP of the office PC your
    trying to access from home.

    http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

    Call the office, from home, using the static public IP of the router...

    Otherwise, for transferring files to/from the office you can also setup a PPTP VPN tunnel.

    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

    On the router TCP Port 1723 needs to be forwarded to the office PC *AND* GRE Protocol 47 traffic
    needs to be enabled through the router. Some routers call the later "PPTP Pass Through" or "VPN Pass
    Through". Consult the Belkin documentation or support web site for help with that. Again call using
    the public IP of the router at work...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Daniel Botterill" <Daniel Botterill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have windows xp home at home and in my office. I want to connect to the
    > office from home. At the office I have broadband via a Belkin router. I also
    > have broadband at home. I have a static ip address at the office from my ISP.
    > I have not got a clue how to set it all up and would appreciate some help.
    >
    > Thanks

    Ooppss.. I forgot the link for the UltraVNC plug-in..

    http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

    --

    > Since your running XP Home on both the office and home PCs then XP Pro Remote Desktop is not an
    > option.
    >
    > Other options include either a PPTP VPN tunnel or a program like UltraVNC. It simply depends on
    > your needs.
    >
    > If you want to fully access/control the office desktop from home, transfer files back and forth,
    > etc, then UltraVNC with *AND* the encryption plug-in would work well for that. You can get the
    > server and client software from...
    >
    > http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > On the Belkin router at work forward TCP Port 5900 to the private LAN IP of the office PC your
    > trying to access from home.
    >
    > http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm
    >
    > Call the office, from home, using the static public IP of the router...
    >
    > Otherwise, for transferring files to/from the office you can also setup a PPTP VPN tunnel.
    >
    > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
    > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
    >
    > On the router TCP Port 1723 needs to be forwarded to the office PC *AND* GRE Protocol 47 traffic
    > needs to be enabled through the router. Some routers call the later "PPTP Pass Through" or "VPN
    > Pass Through". Consult the Belkin documentation or support web site for help with that. Again call
    > using the public IP of the router at work...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Daniel Botterill" <Daniel Botterill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I have windows xp home at home and in my office. I want to connect to the
    >> office from home. At the office I have broadband via a Belkin router. I also
    >> have broadband at home. I have a static ip address at the office from my ISP.
    >> I have not got a clue how to set it all up and would appreciate some help.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Many thanks, I shall give it a whirl and let you know.

    Thanks

    Dan

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > Ooppss.. I forgot the link for the UltraVNC plug-in..
    >
    > http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Since your running XP Home on both the office and home PCs then XP Pro Remote Desktop is not an
    > > option.
    > >
    > > Other options include either a PPTP VPN tunnel or a program like UltraVNC. It simply depends on
    > > your needs.
    > >
    > > If you want to fully access/control the office desktop from home, transfer files back and forth,
    > > etc, then UltraVNC with *AND* the encryption plug-in would work well for that. You can get the
    > > server and client software from...
    > >
    > > http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    > >
    > > On the Belkin router at work forward TCP Port 5900 to the private LAN IP of the office PC your
    > > trying to access from home.
    > >
    > > http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm
    > >
    > > Call the office, from home, using the static public IP of the router...
    > >
    > > Otherwise, for transferring files to/from the office you can also setup a PPTP VPN tunnel.
    > >
    > > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
    > > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
    > >
    > > On the router TCP Port 1723 needs to be forwarded to the office PC *AND* GRE Protocol 47 traffic
    > > needs to be enabled through the router. Some routers call the later "PPTP Pass Through" or "VPN
    > > Pass Through". Consult the Belkin documentation or support web site for help with that. Again call
    > > using the public IP of the router at work...
    > >
    > > --
    > > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >
    > > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    > > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
    > >
    > > "Daniel Botterill" <Daniel Botterill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>I have windows xp home at home and in my office. I want to connect to the
    > >> office from home. At the office I have broadband via a Belkin router. I also
    > >> have broadband at home. I have a static ip address at the office from my ISP.
    > >> I have not got a clue how to set it all up and would appreciate some help.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks

    many thanks for the details it all works fine.

    Cheers

    Dan

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > Ooppss.. I forgot the link for the UltraVNC plug-in..
    >
    > http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Since your running XP Home on both the office and home PCs then XP Pro Remote Desktop is not an
    > > option.
    > >
    > > Other options include either a PPTP VPN tunnel or a program like UltraVNC. It simply depends on
    > > your needs.
    > >
    > > If you want to fully access/control the office desktop from home, transfer files back and forth,
    > > etc, then UltraVNC with *AND* the encryption plug-in would work well for that. You can get the
    > > server and client software from...
    > >
    > > http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    > >
    > > On the Belkin router at work forward TCP Port 5900 to the private LAN IP of the office PC your
    > > trying to access from home.
    > >
    > > http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm
    > >
    > > Call the office, from home, using the static public IP of the router...
    > >
    > > Otherwise, for transferring files to/from the office you can also setup a PPTP VPN tunnel.
    > >
    > > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
    > > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
    > >
    > > On the router TCP Port 1723 needs to be forwarded to the office PC *AND* GRE Protocol 47 traffic
    > > needs to be enabled through the router. Some routers call the later "PPTP Pass Through" or "VPN
    > > Pass Through". Consult the Belkin documentation or support web site for help with that. Again call
    > > using the public IP of the router at work...
    > >
    > > --
    > > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >
    > > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    > > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
    > >
    > > "Daniel Botterill" <Daniel Botterill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>I have windows xp home at home and in my office. I want to connect to the
    > >> office from home. At the office I have broadband via a Belkin router. I also
    > >> have broadband at home. I have a static ip address at the office from my ISP.
    > >> I have not got a clue how to set it all up and would appreciate some help.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks

Routers Connection Office Windows XP