Mute audio with TMPEGnc MPEG Editor?

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

I need to remove some words (obscenities, actually) from the audio
portion of some MPEG files that I captured with a TV tuner card.

Do any MPEG editors have audio editing capabilities that would allow me
to mute the audio in this way?

In particular, I'm wondering whether TMPEGnc MPEG Editor has this
feature. Unfortunately, the evaluation version expired before I could
test this...and the product description on their web site doesn't
really say.

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

Thanks. GoldWave looks like a very powerful product. However, it
doesn't appear to work with MPEG files, per se. Must the audio be
separated from the MPEG for use with GoldWave? If so, how can it be
merged back into the MPEG?

On 4 Jan 2005 20:09:34 -0800, "Guy" <newsgroupposter@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I need to remove some words (obscenities, actually) from the audio
>portion of some MPEG files that I captured with a TV tuner card.
>
>Do any MPEG editors have audio editing capabilities that would allow me
>to mute the audio in this way?
>
>In particular, I'm wondering whether TMPEGnc MPEG Editor has this
>feature. Unfortunately, the evaluation version expired before I could
>test this...and the product description on their web site doesn't
>really say.
A proper audio editor is better.
Download the trial of goldwave and edit the file
as required.
http://www.goldwave.com/
Dave

"Guy" <newsgroupposter@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks. GoldWave looks like a very powerful product. However, it
>doesn't appear to work with MPEG files, per se. Must the audio be
>separated from the MPEG for use with GoldWave? If so, how can it be
>merged back into the MPEG?

You can use TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools (on its File menu) to de-multiplex
the video and audio. When you're done editing the audio, you can use
TMPGEnc again to multplex the edited audio with the video.

If you don't have TMPGEnc, go to www.tmpgenc.net

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

Thanks; that sounds promising.

Is TMPGEnc's product that includes "MPEG Tools" a separate product from
their MPEG Editor? Are you referring to TMPGEnc 2.524
(TMPGEnc-2.524.63.181-Free.zip) from
http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_download.html?

"Guy" <newsgroupposter@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Is TMPGEnc's product that includes "MPEG Tools" a separate product from
>their MPEG Editor? Are you referring to TMPGEnc 2.524
>(TMPGEnc-2.524.63.181-Free.zip) from
>http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_download.html?

Yes, that's the one. I have TMPGEnc Plus (not the free version), but
I think (could be wrong) the free version includes the MPEG Tools. If
not, you can use TMPGEnc Plus free for 14 days.

I haven't tried the MPEG Editor, so I'm not really familiar with it.
I was going to buy it until I read about its internet license
verification system.

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

Thanks. Their Internet license verification system concerns me, too. I
asked one of their customer support people about installing the
software on a replacement PC and received the following reply: "The
licensing system is flexible enough to let you change your computer. We
just ask you to carefully keep your license serial number since you
will have to re-enter it when installing the software on the new
machine."

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

I downloaded and ran the free version of TMPGEnc; however, when I try
to open any of my MPEG-2 files, it returns the error: "File
<AnyOfMyFilenames.mpg> can not open, or unsupported". The Open dialog
box's "Files of type" pulldown.....lists (among other types) "AVI
file(*.avi)" and "MPEG-1 file(*.mpg;*.mpeg)".
Is it possible that this tool doesn't support MPEG-2 files?

"Guy" <newsgroupposter@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I downloaded and ran the free version of TMPGEnc; however, when I try
>to open any of my MPEG-2 files, it returns the error: "File
><AnyOfMyFilenames.mpg> can not open, or unsupported". The Open dialog
>box's "Files of type" pulldown.....lists (among other types) "AVI
>file(*.avi)" and "MPEG-1 file(*.mpg;*.mpeg)".

Do you see MPEG-2 listed in the "Type" pulldown list near the top of
the MPEG Tools window? It should be there. I don't see it in the
"Files of type" list either; I suppose that's because MPEG-1 and
MPEG-2 files both use the same file extensions.

>Is it possible that this tool doesn't support MPEG-2 files?

I've used it on MPEG-2 files before, but I was using TMPGEnc Plus (not
the free version); you can try that free for 14 days.

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

That was it; thanks. Both the "Simple De-multiplex" and "De-multiplex"
list MPEG-2 in the "Type" pulldown. What's the difference between
Simple and non-SImple?

IAC, so these same features are in TMPGEnc Plus 2.5? Are they in
TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress, too?

I'm still really confused over TMPGEnc's various programs. I was about
to purchase their MPEG Editor but now I'm wondering if there is an MPEG
editor in either Plus 2.5 and/or 3.0 XPress, and whether their MPEG
Editor is superfluous for me.

"Guy" <newsgroupposter@hotmail.com> wrote:

>That was it; thanks. Both the "Simple De-multiplex" and "De-multiplex"
>list MPEG-2 in the "Type" pulldown. What's the difference between
>Simple and non-SImple?

Press F1 while you're there, and you can read about it. Apparently,
"Multiplex has the same functionality as 'Simple Multiplex', but with
multiple file capability." I haven't used that myself (just the
simple one).

>IAC, so these same features are in TMPGEnc Plus 2.5? Are they in
>TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress, too?

Maybe someone else can answer that. I haven't seen 3.0 XPress. I
expect http://www.pegasys-inc.com/ would have some information about
the program's features.

>I'm still really confused over TMPGEnc's various programs. I was about
>to purchase their MPEG Editor but now I'm wondering if there is an MPEG
>editor in either Plus 2.5 and/or 3.0 XPress, and whether their MPEG
>Editor is superfluous for me.

You can do some crude editing with the MPEG Tools in TMPGEnc Plus 2.5,
but it is not very convenient (you can't cut things out of the middle
of an MPEG file easily), and it is not frame accurate. I think you
can edit more easily if you re-encode, but that degrades the quality.

I haven't tried the MPEG Editor (due to the objectionable internet
license verification), but I think it works like VideoReDo which you
can find at http://www.videoredo.com/

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

Thanks. The folks at Pegasys replied to my email. They explained that
there is a multiplexer/de-multiplexer in their MPEG Editor, too.
Similar to your comment, they also said that the editing in MPEG Editor
is much simpler and quicker than in Plus 2.5 or 3.0 XPress. It would
seem that the only reason I might want to consider the latter two
products is for file conversions (MPEG-to-AVI, AVI-to-MPEG, etc.) Do
you agree?

"Guy" <newsgroupposter@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks. The folks at Pegasys replied to my email. They explained that
>there is a multiplexer/de-multiplexer in their MPEG Editor, too.
>Similar to your comment, they also said that the editing in MPEG Editor
>is much simpler and quicker than in Plus 2.5 or 3.0 XPress. It would
>seem that the only reason I might want to consider the latter two
>products is for file conversions (MPEG-to-AVI, AVI-to-MPEG, etc.) Do
>you agree?

Yes, those two programs are primarily intended for encoding. If you
want to edit an existing MPEG file, then the editor would seem to be a
better choice.

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

Thanks. Edit MPEG files and--as the subject of this thread indicates
and which I almost forgot--I also want to edit the audio.

Seems like I'll need to use something like Goldwave for the audio. And
I've found numerous freeware conversion tools to handle MPEG-to-AVI and
AVI-to-MPEG conversions.