Video Compression

Hey Guys,
I am new to video and editing. I am using Adobe Premiere to put my
simple home videos together and I want to distribute the video to friends
over the internet. However, the AVI files that I have exported from
Premiere are quite large for internet distribution, what is a good
compression program or is there another way to decrease the file sizes of my
videos? I looked through some of the built-in compression in Premiere, but
was not successful. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Kevin DeMarco

    "Kevin DeMarco" wrote ...
    > I am new to video and editing. I am using Adobe Premiere to put my
    > simple home videos together and I want to distribute the video to
    > friends over the internet. However, the AVI files that I have
    > exported from Premiere are quite large for internet distribution, what
    > is a good compression program or is there another way to decrease the
    > file sizes of my videos? I looked through some of the built-in
    > compression in Premiere, but was not successful. Any help is
    > appreciated. Thanks.

    Compressed formats like MPEGx, RealVideo, QuickTime, and
    Windows Media (WMV) were created just to distribute video
    with much smaller file sizes. My personal favorite is WMV, but
    if all you friends are using (for example) Macs, QuickTime might
    be a better choice.

    If you have XP, the Windows Movie maker that is part of Windows should
    be able to do this. Load in the avi file, save as WMV.

    On a sunny day (Wed, 5 Jan 2005 01:38:25 -0500) it happened "Kevin DeMarco"
    <gtg658q@mail.gatech.edu> wrote in <crg213$e09$1@news-int.gatech.edu>:

    >Hey Guys,
    > I am new to video and editing. I am using Adobe Premiere to put my
    >simple home videos together and I want to distribute the video to friends
    >over the internet. However, the AVI files that I have exported from
    >Premiere are quite large for internet distribution, what is a good
    >compression program or is there another way to decrease the file sizes of my
    >videos?
    Try divx, www.divx.com, many of the latest DVD players support it too.
    There are free codecs, and it is sort of an accepted 'standard'.
    Just for this purpose.

    Thank you.

    --
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Kevin DeMarco
    "Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On a sunny day (Wed, 5 Jan 2005 01:38:25 -0500) it happened "Kevin
    > DeMarco"
    > <gtg658q@mail.gatech.edu> wrote in <crg213$e09$1@news-int.gatech.edu>:
    >
    >>Hey Guys,
    >> I am new to video and editing. I am using Adobe Premiere to put my
    >>simple home videos together and I want to distribute the video to friends
    >>over the internet. However, the AVI files that I have exported from
    >>Premiere are quite large for internet distribution, what is a good
    >>compression program or is there another way to decrease the file sizes of
    >>my
    >>videos?
    > Try divx, www.divx.com, many of the latest DVD players support it too.
    > There are free codecs, and it is sort of an accepted 'standard'.
    > Just for this purpose.

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 01:38:25 -0500, "Kevin DeMarco"
    <gtg658q@mail.gatech.edu> wrote:

    >I am using Adobe Premiere to put my
    >simple home videos together and I want to distribute the video to friends
    >over the internet. However, the AVI files that I have exported from
    >Premiere are quite large for internet distribution

    For an acceptable quality at low bitrates (thus, at low file sizes),
    it is recommended to encode the Avis with the DivX or Xvid codecs.
    Just lower the bitrate as much as necessary, but better do a 2-pass
    VBR encoding. The audio should be Mp3, so that it is also reduced in
    size.

    >>simple home videos together and I want to distribute the video to friends
    >>over the internet. However, the AVI files that I have exported from
    >
    > For an acceptable quality at low bitrates (thus, at low file sizes),
    > it is recommended to encode the Avis with the DivX or Xvid codecs.

    again depends on how savy the friends are with installing codecs (or
    simply installing anything). Divx/Xivd/MPEG4 playback is not built into
    Windows by default, so they'd need to download something first to play
    what you've sent them in that format (ffdshow - free multi-codec pack is
    the best and easiest IMO - it'll take care of the whole slew of MPEG-4
    codecs).

    WMV (windows media) is built into all Windows and with the included
    Windows Movie Maker in XP, the easiest to use and get started. You
    simply load up the movie into WMM, render a low-bitrate file (they've
    got presets easy to use), and email. Voila! Almost anyone with Windows
    will have that file auto-play w/o having to worry about anything else.

    ---

    For long term archiving, MPEG-4 codecs are the better way to go - WMV
    keeps changing, and only Microsoft maintains it -- ie. in a few years,
    you may have problems playing it just like the current player has
    problems playing WMV encoded with V1 or V2 years ago.

    -----

    Between MPEG-4 and WMV, I'd honestly go WMV because you need nothing
    else and it works fine for low-bitrate videos. No need to make things
    more complex for just watching a few flicks.

    Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Try divx, www.divx.com, many of the latest DVD players support it too.
    > There are free codecs, and it is sort of an accepted 'standard'.
    > Just for this purpose.

    What's the speediest encoder for divx? I'm using drdivx as my first tryout
    (I've decided to encode for a 1G usb flash - it was always about discs before
    for me, but now I'm encoder-needy *). It works fine, the results are good -
    amazing in fact - but I'm wondering now how drdivx holds-up in the speed dept
    with other encoders (with guis or cmd lines, pay or not) out there for XP? Nex

    On a sunny day (Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:36:51 +0000 (UTC)) it happened Alan
    Pollock <nex@nopanix.com> wrote in <crui03$b1n$1@reader1.panix.com>:

    >Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> Try divx, www.divx.com, many of the latest DVD players support it too.
    >> There are free codecs, and it is sort of an accepted 'standard'.
    >> Just for this purpose.
    >
    >What's the speediest encoder for divx? I'm using drdivx as my first tryout
    >(I've decided to encode for a 1G usb flash - it was always about discs before
    >for me, but now I'm encoder-needy *). It works fine, the results are good -
    >amazing in fact - but I'm wondering now how drdivx holds-up in the speed dept
    >with other encoders (with guis or cmd lines, pay or not) out there for XP? Nex
    I dunno what the 'speediest' encoder is.
    The speed depend on:
    1 picture size
    2 bitrate you ask for
    3 how many passes
    4 lots of parameters one can set.
    I have mostly used Linux transcode, and its speed was not that important to
    me as I left it encoding adding subtitles overnight.
    It is possible to do DivX coding in real time or faster, for example I can
    record with my Asus 7100 in windows using DivX codec 352x288 medium quality
    in real time on a Duron 950.
    Normally I use transcode, 2 pass, and go for best quality possible.
    There was the 5.something version of DivX that was very slow, I think
    they fixed that in a later version.
    Latest Dr DivX should be OK, but I am a Linux user, so I do not use it.
    An alt.video.divx newsgroup exists.

    Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > It is possible to do DivX coding in real time or faster, for example I can
    > record with my Asus 7100 in windows using DivX codec 352x288 medium quality
    > in real time on a Duron 950.
    > Normally I use transcode, 2 pass, and go for best quality possible.
    > There was the 5.something version of DivX that was very slow, I think
    > they fixed that in a later version.
    > Latest Dr DivX should be OK, but I am a Linux user, so I do not use it.
    > An alt.video.divx newsgroup exists.

    Thanx for the useful info. Nex

Tuner Cards Video Compression Internet Graphics