Remote Desktop only allows Admin user

XP Pro SP2. Linksys Router, port 3389 is being forwarded to the PC in
question. Trying to connect via laptop running Win2K.

I can connect by logging on as Administrator so I know I have the port
forwarding correct, and remote desktop enabled. But cannot connect by logging
on as the user I normally log on to my PC at startup. My user has full admin
rights and privledges. When I try to log on, says it cannot log on my user (
same error I would get if I tried to log on with a bogus name/password ).

Obviously a config issue on my part, but I cannot find the problem. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop admin user

    Hawgman wrote:
    > XP Pro SP2. Linksys Router, port 3389 is being forwarded to the PC in
    > question. Trying to connect via laptop running Win2K.
    >
    > I can connect by logging on as Administrator so I know I have the port
    > forwarding correct, and remote desktop enabled. But cannot connect by
    > logging on as the user I normally log on to my PC at startup. My user
    > has full admin rights and privledges. When I try to log on, says it
    > cannot log on my user ( same error I would get if I tried to log on
    > with a bogus name/password ).
    >
    > Obviously a config issue on my part, but I cannot find the problem.
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    > Thanks

    Checked to see if the "user" is in the Remote Desktop Users group?

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Checked to see if the "user" is in the Remote Desktop Users group?
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    User is part of the Remote Desktop Users Group. In fact, that user is the
    only user listed under Remote Desktop Users, which kind of surprised me. I
    assumed that Admin would be listed there also since Admin can log in.

    Does your user account have a password? That is required...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > Does your user account have a password? That is required...

    Yes, my user account has a password.

    OK, I finally got to where I can log in. I had to change my users password.
    No idea why.

    Now, I cannot keep the remote PC connected. Either says that there is a
    decryption error, OR, remote desktop crashes all together. I tried from
    another XP machine and had no problems. But I cannot keep the 2K machine
    connected.

    Does remote desktop have issues with Win2k machines?

    What is the exact error message?

    --

    > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    >
    >> Does your user account have a password? That is required...
    >>

    > Yes, my user account has a password.

    I have had this same issue for quite sometime now, with no
    replies on this forum.
    I have yet to find a solution.
    All of the things that may have been offered in this thread
    I too have tried, to no avail.
    Cleaning of the registry creates this maybe?
    How about installation of additional/3rd party Remote
    Control program (like VNC, or Remotely Anywhere or
    PCAnywhere)....would that create these type of issues?
    Additional input/solutions are welcome.

Remote Desktop Connection Windows XP