Virtual Priviate Connection..How can I..?

Hello All,

I have a problem that whenever I create Virtual Priviate Connection (accept
incomming call) and my friend dials me so we get connected to each other but
the main problem is that we can not see each others files or folder, even if
we share our files /folders.. Why.?

Could anybody please help me out..?

OS : Windows XP (professional)

Regards
Shaanni

"shaanni" <shaanni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have a problem that whenever I create Virtual Priviate Connection
> (accept incomming call) and my friend dials me so we get connected to
> each other but the main problem is that we can not see each others
> files or folder, even if we share our files /folders.. Why.?

Check that both ends (both in "Incoming Connections" and in the VPN client)
have both "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing for
Microsoft Networks" enabled in their networking properties.

Check that both PCs have the same Workgroup name, but different Computer
names.

This might not be enough to get the opposite end appearing in "My Network
Places", which might be what you mean by "see each others files".

However, if you can discover the internal IP address given to the opposite
end of the VPN link (not the normal WAN IP address for the other end to
which you made the VPN connection, but the address that the other end
appears to be down the VPN tunnel itself), then go Start -> Run, and enter
that IP address with two leading backslashes in the form

\\999.999.999.999

in the Run box. This should display the shared resources of the other end
of the VPN link.

You can discover the internal IP addresses of both ends of the VPN link by
going to Network Connections, and right clicking the relevant icon (the VPN
object on the client, the active inward connection on the server), selecting
"Status", and then tab Details. This will list the internet VPN IP
addresses of both client and server. Each should use the other's IP address
in the Run box to view the other's shares.

These two IP addresses will have been allocated from the pool made available
when the "Incoming Connections" object was configured on the server. It is
important that these IP addresses make sense in the context of local
networking at both ends. For instance, if both ends run local LANs, it
might be necessary to ensure that both ends do not use the same IP sub-net
range for their local LAN, otherwise there will be a clash of IP ranges.

To advise more, we need more details on your networking setup. The full
output of the following two commands would be helpful:

ipconfig /all
route print

from the PCs at both ends of the VPN link, taken at the same time while the
VPN link is connected.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk