Confuseed about XP Home?

Tell me if I'm correct on this one. XP Pro can use remote desktop, but XP
Home can't? I have 3 systems running Pro, and 1 running Home. all 3 Pro
systems can use and be used running remote desktop. the home box can log
into any of the other 3 running Pro, but the 3 Pro cannot be log into the
Home system. all of this is on a home network/workgroup running DSL/Linksys
router.

Answers found "inline":

Ingit wrote:
> Tell me if I'm correct on this one. XP Pro can use remote desktop,
> but XP Home can't?

This is correct. Windows XP Professional has the Remote Desktop and Remote
Assistance, while Windows XP Home Edition only has Remote Assistance
(someone needs to be there to accept/give the control.)

> I have 3 systems running Pro, and 1 running Home.
> all 3 Pro systems can use and be used running remote desktop. the
> home box can log into any of the other 3 running Pro, but the 3 Pro
> cannot be log into the Home system. all of this is on a home
> network/workgroup running DSL/Linksys router.

Again - Windows XP Professional (and its superset OSes) are the only
non-server OS with built in Remote Desktop capabilities. If you wish to
remote into your XP Home box, you can wither upgrade at a cost (no OEMs
please) or you can just use something else - like UltraVNC <- free.

--
<- Shenan ->

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am having the same problem. Just for clarification...my XP Home DOES have
RDC on it and I CAN use RDC to connect to an XP Pro box (I'm actually using
RDC and NOT Remote Assistance.)

So although XP Home can make outgoing RDC connections, it just can't accept
incoming ones...correct?

Thanks in advance.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Answers found "inline":
>
> Ingit wrote:
> > Tell me if I'm correct on this one. XP Pro can use remote desktop,
> > but XP Home can't?
>
> This is correct. Windows XP Professional has the Remote Desktop and Remote
> Assistance, while Windows XP Home Edition only has Remote Assistance
> (someone needs to be there to accept/give the control.)
>
> > I have 3 systems running Pro, and 1 running Home.
> > all 3 Pro systems can use and be used running remote desktop. the
> > home box can log into any of the other 3 running Pro, but the 3 Pro
> > cannot be log into the Home system. all of this is on a home
> > network/workgroup running DSL/Linksys router.
>
> Again - Windows XP Professional (and its superset OSes) are the only
> non-server OS with built in Remote Desktop capabilities. If you wish to
> remote into your XP Home box, you can wither upgrade at a cost (no OEMs
> please) or you can just use something else - like UltraVNC <- free.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

So just to clarify...even though XP Home DOES have RDC on it (which mine
does), it can make outgoing RDC connections to XP Pro boxes...but can't
accept incoming RDC connections...correct? That's the scenario I'm having.

Thanks in advance.

Michael wrote:
> So just to clarify...even though XP Home DOES have RDC on it (which
> mine does), it can make outgoing RDC connections to XP Pro
> boxes...but can't accept incoming RDC connections...correct? That's
> the scenario I'm having.

You can put the Remote Desktop Client (RDC) on almost ANY Windows 9X/ME &
2000 and above box.
But that has nothing to do with the server/service that allows you to host
such a Remote Desktop Session.

Windows XP Home - No Remote Desktop, only remote assistance. Client is
included, however.
Windows XP Professional - Both Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance - Client
also.

--
<- Shenan ->

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having the same problem. Just for clarification...my XP Home DOES
>have
> RDC on it and I CAN use RDC to connect to an XP Pro box (I'm actually
> using
> RDC and NOT Remote Assistance.)
>
> So although XP Home can make outgoing RDC connections, it just can't
> accept
> incoming ones...correct?

Correct. XP Home cannot be the HOST of a Remote Desktop connection--i.e.
the machine whose desktop is viewed/controlled, by a remote client.

TRENDING THREADS