Create DVD on CD-ROM

I have a 4-minute video that I'd like to put on CD. I've tested SVCD fine
although I'm not totally satisfied with its quality. Since it's rather
small, I wonder if I can create a DVD compatible disc on a regular CD-ROM.
I remember there was a format called mini-DVD that uses CD. Does it still
work? What program can I use to create DVD compatible discs on CD-ROM?

Thanks for any suggestions,

cpliu

A video CD (vcd) and a super video CD (SVCD) are not exactly the same
as a DVD. However, many new (but not all) DVD players will play a VCD.
Almost any software that burns DVDs will also burn, as an option,
VCDs. I use Roxio Video Wave 7, but many others will do similarly.

rs

VCD is Mpg1 and SVCD is mpg2. Many many dvd players will play VCD's and
there are lots that will player SVCD.

www.videohelp.com keeps a specific list you can check.

You can do a very good quality Svcd. If its only 4 min long you can go for
the very highest quality and bitrate.

"cpliu" <chanciusliuDeleteThis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a 4-minute video that I'd like to put on CD. I've tested SVCD fine
> although I'm not totally satisfied with its quality. Since it's rather
> small, I wonder if I can create a DVD compatible disc on a regular CD-ROM.
> I remember there was a format called mini-DVD that uses CD. Does it still
> work? What program can I use to create DVD compatible discs on CD-ROM?
>

> Thanks for any suggestions,
>

> cpliu

On a sunny day (5 Jan 2005 19:44:45 GMT) it happened cpliu
<chanciusliuDeleteThis@yahoo.com> wrote in
<Xns95D5960096A85chanciusliuDeleteThi@130.133.1.4>:

>I have a 4-minute video that I'd like to put on CD. I've tested SVCD fine
>although I'm not totally satisfied with its quality. Since it's rather
>small, I wonder if I can create a DVD compatible disc on a regular CD-ROM.
>I remember there was a format called mini-DVD that uses CD. Does it still
>work? What program can I use to create DVD compatible discs on CD-ROM?
>

>Thanks for any suggestions,
>

>cpliu
You do not mention the type of source.
If it is mpeg2, perhaps you could make a CVD.
A CVD has (in PAL) 352 x 576 format, so compressed in the width.
The DVD player (this is an official format supported by DVD players,
CVD stands for 'China Video Disk') will stretch it back.
If it is mpeg2 in normal format, I would use SVCD, as the CVD recode -
resize will give some artifacts.
I have made quite a few CVD, and people liked them.
They almost always play in any DVD player (also old ones).
So CVD is on a CD.
The mini-DVDs you mention have never ever worked for me (I tried).
I have been told that not every DVD player supports this.
Most DVD players accept really 'out of spec' SVCD though.
Tell us more about the source material, how it is coded.
JP

"cpliu" <chanciusliuDeleteThis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a 4-minute video that I'd like to put on CD. I've tested SVCD fine
> although I'm not totally satisfied with its quality. Since it's rather
> small, I wonder if I can create a DVD compatible disc on a regular CD-ROM.
> I remember there was a format called mini-DVD that uses CD. Does it still
> work? What program can I use to create DVD compatible discs on CD-ROM?
>

> Thanks for any suggestions,
>

> cpliu

What's a CD-R disk cost? Just try and see if it works with the
player(s) you have. Burn two one as ISO-UDF and one as
plane ISO. When I was doing them I needed to use the ISO
format to get the menu to work right.

Luck;
Ken