Blank screen with Remote Web Connection

I am running XP Pro on both my main and laptop computers. The main computer
is behind a Linksys router with firewall. The Win XP firewall is not
operational. I am trying to setup a remote connection so I can connect from
both my laptop or any other computer that is web equipped when I am on the
road.

I have successfully setup the remote connection to work from my laptop if I
am connected directly to my network. When I plug in to internet accces
outside my network, while on the road, I cannot connect. When I try to
connect via the web I get a blank screen. I am guessing I have a firewall
issue; but, I can't seem to figure it out. I have every port that I can
think of forwarded but it still doesn't connect.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Howard
4 answers Last reply
More about blank screen remote connection

    "HL649" <Howard@Larsens.ca> wrote in message
    > I am running XP Pro on both my main and laptop computers. The main
    > computer is behind a Linksys router with firewall. The Win XP
    > firewall is not operational. I am trying to setup a remote
    > connection so I can connect from both my laptop or any other computer
    > that is web equipped when I am on the road.
    >
    > I have successfully setup the remote connection to work from my
    > laptop if I am connected directly to my network. When I plug in to
    > internet accces outside my network, while on the road, I cannot
    > connect. When I try to connect via the web I get a blank screen.

    In the Linksys router, you need to forward TCP port 3389 (for Remote
    Desktop) to your main PC. In addition, if you are using the Web interface
    to Remote Desktop, you need to forward TCP port 80 to the main PC.

    --
    Robin Walker
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    Thanks for the reply Robin,

    I have both of those ports forwarded already.

    "Robin Walker" <rdhw@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > "HL649" <Howard@Larsens.ca> wrote in message
    > > I am running XP Pro on both my main and laptop computers. The main
    > > computer is behind a Linksys router with firewall. The Win XP
    > > firewall is not operational. I am trying to setup a remote
    > > connection so I can connect from both my laptop or any other computer
    > > that is web equipped when I am on the road.
    > >
    > > I have successfully setup the remote connection to work from my
    > > laptop if I am connected directly to my network. When I plug in to
    > > internet accces outside my network, while on the road, I cannot
    > > connect. When I try to connect via the web I get a blank screen.
    >
    > In the Linksys router, you need to forward TCP port 3389 (for Remote
    > Desktop) to your main PC. In addition, if you are using the Web interface
    > to Remote Desktop, you need to forward TCP port 80 to the main PC.
    >
    > --
    > Robin Walker
    > rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    I've noticed when connecting to my desktop from a laptop that it takes a
    long time to build the desktop when I log on. Often, I would even get a
    black screen for a bit and sometimes I couldn't even get rid of it.

    I wonder if you should try and lower the performance and display
    requirements in the connection settings before you connect. Tjhe one thing
    that I could always see was the window that asks for user and pw, before it
    would go to the black screen. this problem was intermittant and has gone
    away.

    Maybe worth a shot.

    Good luck

    Andrew

    Your best bet is to use RDP Client which is built into the OS. Using to many
    protocols over the Internet is not a good idea. Especially with the lentacy
    that DSL and other network introduce.
    Also I am not too sure if the web interface has anything to do with Java Run
    Time. But if it does make sure to get it from Microsoft and reinstall it.
    Otherwise maybe upgrading the firmware in your router may help !!! Your
    router maybe dropping packets or there maybe a setting inside your router
    that is not allowing the correct sequence of message to get to your computers.
    I've had this issue happened to me with other remote desktop softwares and
    in most cases the router is not performing too good
    Good luck

    "A" wrote:

    > I've noticed when connecting to my desktop from a laptop that it takes a
    > long time to build the desktop when I log on. Often, I would even get a
    > black screen for a bit and sometimes I couldn't even get rid of it.
    >
    > I wonder if you should try and lower the performance and display
    > requirements in the connection settings before you connect. Tjhe one thing
    > that I could always see was the window that asks for user and pw, before it
    > would go to the black screen. this problem was intermittant and has gone
    > away.
    >
    > Maybe worth a shot.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Andrew